Author Topic: With 6 weeks till the trade deadline, is anyone safe? What are you hoping for ?  (Read 9136 times)

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I'm hoping to see as many of the vets unloaded for expiring contracts and minor assets as possible.

The team isn't very good.  If there's any way to unload future salary and clear up more playing time for the younger guys (especially Vitor and KO), I'd love to see that happen.
Completely agree.

On a side note, I hop Rondo comes back soon because I expect him to really help the stock of Bass and Green who are the two guys that I think we could trade and would actually bring us back something worthwile.

I'd like to see Rondo come back and look good and healthy, too.  Though I must admit I'd prefer that his healthy return not vault the team to just barely making the playoffs.
My dream scenario is we play poorly on this west coast trip (which is probable), move all the veterans or young players and picks. Then Rondo comes back and we go on a winning streak, but end up just missing out on the playoffs. After that the basketball gods make up for us not getting high picks in the Duncan and Durant drafts by vaulting us into the top 3.

At that point our winning streak will have enticed free agents by letting them know w have good young players as well as adding a top flight draft pick.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
If we are going after Lowry them Rondo becomes expendable.   I could see us trying to pawn him off on Detroit for Monroe.  Lowry is a good passer not great like Rondo but he is a better shooter.   Monroe would be your C, Sully PF and and Green SF.  If this happens they keep AB at SG. 

However, I heard AB was the guy we are dangling for Lowry.

Lowry as 3rd guard?

If you want to deal with the headache he'd caused by not starting on what he'd consider a mediocre team, sure.  Houston traded him specifically for that reason and he's notoriously headstrong.

A lot of the things people say about Lowry, people tend to say about Rajon Rondo.

It's not just stuff people say about him; it's stuff he's acknowledged and owned up to:

“There was a stretch there where I wasn’t playing as much, I was only playing 15, 16 minutes a game so it was one of those things where I came into keep the lead or maintain (it)” said Lowry. “It definitely set me back, set us back, with that type of relationship; it’s definitely taken longer but that’s what happens when you have a brand new team pretty much. We had new pieces coming in, and we made a trade, other guys coming back, had injuries in and out, it always sets you back a little bit.”

http://www.thestar.com/sports/raptors/2013/04/15/raptors_point_guard_kyle_lowry_says_and_coach_dwane_casey_are_building_a_solid_bond.html

Lowry does not believe he and Goran Dragic, his successor as the starting point guard this season, will both return to the roster next season. Lowry was even less confident he and Rockets coach Kevin McHale can successfully coexist.

"I don't think so," Lowry, 26, said. "I honestly think it would be tough. Things have to be addressed. The situation would have to be addressed.

"If things aren't addressed coaching-wise, I guess I have to be moved.""We're both capable starters. We both want it. It's going to have to be a situation where they make a decision on one of us.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterockets/2012/05/disgruntled-lowry-feels-its-his-time-to-move-on/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
So there's slightly over 6 weeks until the trade deadline. Rondo may be back by the end of January but it's doubtful he plays any meaningful minutes till February.

So who is safe? And who is likely to go?
I think the most likely players to go are Bass, Avery Bradley and Courtney Lee. Humphries and Bogans are there too with their expirings.

The Western conference semi-contenders are going to need to beef up and teams like Portland, Houston and the Clippers may look to either shore up their benches or maintain future flexibility.

Realistically, I don't think anyone is safe. Everyone will be shopped because it's Ainge's job to see what kind of value he can get back in return. Rondo and Sully are the two safest but they will also be the two highest in demand.

For me the most telling part about our future, and his future plans will be how hard he tries to secure a top 10 pick over the next 6-7 weeks.
*I think to do so, he'll have to move Bass and Bradley. Even a few small moves like this would surely cement us in the bottom 10 teams given their roles on our team.
It's not like they're great players, their stats are average to below average but they are great role players/bench guys on any contender and thus are keeping us in that category of team that makes the playoffs simply because everyone sucks more than us- which he recently stated was not the best outcome for the Celtics this year.

OR, does Ainge simply shop around, but ultimately stand pat and let this team play it out if nothing above average presents itself? It seems doing so is meddling in mediocrity ( by keeping this squad together) which isn't Ainge's style- but he may feel that's the best option long term. It also depends on what he values more...the lottery pick or the value in return he gets for guys like Bass and Lee.
My hope is that he moves as many older vets as possible, and even if the returns are lower than expected, that he pulls the trigger so our young guys and rookies get as much time as possible. I would not be surprised to see Avery Bradley moved, so Courtney Lee can build up his own trade value come draft night- bringing Brooks in as a rotation two guard.

It's going to be an exciting 6 weeks because if moves are made, there's a great chance they'll be indicative of his long term plans.

What do you think will happen?
What do you hope will happen?

Fire away.
I understand why you started this thread, but it is really an impossible question to answer.  Anyone can be traded (even Rondo or Sully), depending upn what comes back in return. What are the greatest needs of this team?  A defensive rebounding center?  A true SG?  Who is available? Even if those questions can be answered, Ainge may do nothing. The team sucks right now and are headed out on a tough WC road trip. If Danny is tanking, his best move may be no move.  Let Hump and Bogans expire. Pick up the pieces post-season when the draft order is known.

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
If we are going after Lowry them Rondo becomes expendable.   I could see us trying to pawn him off on Detroit for Monroe.  Lowry is a good passer not great like Rondo but he is a better shooter.   Monroe would be your C, Sully PF and and Green SF.  If this happens they keep AB at SG. 

Lowry as 3rd guard?

If you want to deal with the headache he'd caused by not starting on what he'd consider a mediocre team, sure.  Houston traded him specifically for that reason and he's notoriously headstrong.

A lot of the things people say about Lowry, people tend to say about Rajon Rondo.

One player's been on the same team for his entire career and his team claims to have no interest in trading him, the other (same age) is headed for his 4th team. Obviously the difference in talent affects this but one player's been shopped/traded because of (rumored) issues, the other hasn't.

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
pretty bland but honest: I hope Danny moves the vets for young players and picks. 

Hump, Bogans, Bass and Lee could all help a contender.  Even if he can't get a pick this year but has to go out to 2016/17/18 to collect that pick, I'm fine with it.  I don't see Wallace going anywhere until he's on the last year of his deal.

it's nothing flashy but I would be more than a bit surprised if at least 2 of the vets  aren't moved in a deal that builds towards the future

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

Lowry as 3rd guard?

It's not just stuff people say about him; it's stuff he's acknowledged and owned up to:

“There was a stretch there where I wasn’t playing as much, I was only playing 15, 16 minutes a game so it was one of those things where I came into keep the lead or maintain (it)” said Lowry. “It definitely set me back, set us back, with that type of relationship; it’s definitely taken longer but that’s what happens when you have a brand new team pretty much. We had new pieces coming in, and we made a trade, other guys coming back, had injuries in and out, it always sets you back a little bit.”

http://www.thestar.com/sports/raptors/2013/04/15/raptors_point_guard_kyle_lowry_says_and_coach_dwane_casey_are_building_a_solid_bond.html

Lowry does not believe he and Goran Dragic, his successor as the starting point guard this season, will both return to the roster next season. Lowry was even less confident he and Rockets coach Kevin McHale can successfully coexist.

"I don't think so," Lowry, 26, said. "I honestly think it would be tough. Things have to be addressed. The situation would have to be addressed.

"If things aren't addressed coaching-wise, I guess I have to be moved.""We're both capable starters. We both want it. It's going to have to be a situation where they make a decision on one of us.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterockets/2012/05/disgruntled-lowry-feels-its-his-time-to-move-on/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

While I can't imagine anyone not getting along with Kevin McHale, I can surely imagine a young headstrong player wanting time and feeling at least equal to his usurper.

I can see that player going at it like hell against Rondo in practice, and being a great 3rd guard in a 3-guard rotation on a team making a run, which we might do if we had ROndo back and an upper tier center in the near future.

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Source on Lowry trade?

It is or was not a reliable source, my son read it on a Facebook Celtics Fan page so it is next to worthless folks, my bad.

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I expect the Celtics to acquire zero first-round picks between now and the trade deadline.

What I hope to happen is that Ainge makes a ridiculous trade that catches everyone by surprise, first by being consummated without a rumor, second by being a buyer rather than a seller, and third by swindling another GM on a level not thought possible.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Offline Mattson

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 1
Either keep this team intact (improvement should come through the Draft) or trade pieces that land assets (either a young stud or a pick).

Keep Rondo.
"My lil' bro Mattson writes about the Celtics and the NBA over at http://www.randomandsome.com/ -- Buckets!"

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I'm a little disappointed after the Asik trade fell through. Am itching for a semi-major trade.

I know standing pat will serve us very well, but improving the team (ideally with a big) would be very very nice.

We would have multiple picks to go along with the said improvement. We'd likely be giving up pieces that don't fit and aren't in the big picture. We'd be looking very attractive as an FA destination with coach Stevens.

I also hope and think Ainge finds some use for the TE.

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Not expecting anything .....unless DA finds a way to get Asik .......which I have little faith at this point.

Hoping DA get on board the tank train a he sees his pick vales climbing .......tank the last six games for sure.

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I expect the Celtics to acquire zero first-round picks between now and the trade deadline.

What I hope to happen is that Ainge makes a ridiculous trade that catches everyone by surprise, first by being consummated without a rumor, second by being a buyer rather than a seller, and third by swindling another GM on a level not thought possible.

I kind of agree with this, even though I'm struggling to see it happen outside my mind's eye.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
I want to see more playing time for Vitor and Olynyk with Sullinger playing PF instead of center. I want to see Rondo return healthy before the end of the season. I want to see a trade only if it improves us or brings back first round picks with some possible value.

I hope we draft well and find a decent trade. I hope Olynyk and Vitor improve significantly for next season. I hope we keep both of these with Sullinger as our nucleous of bigs. I hope a Marquee FA becomes available and we have the cap space to sign him this offseason.

I havent seen anyone mention Marshon Brooks. He is another likely expiring that could net us 2+ million in cap space or trade filler. With 12+ million for Hump, 5+ million for Bogans and 2+ million for Brooks we should be well under the cap and able to sign someone.

Just as a side note, has anyone else noticed there is a bunch of wings/PG's in the upper tier (top 20) of this draft and not many big men? Like 16 to 4 by my count. For me this means we may want to hang on to our 'extra' bigs as long as possible because teams who do not land a needed big in the draft will likely want to trade for one.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

Offline ben_from_boston

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 3
Don't trade Rondo.
Due to his off-the-charts intelligence and ability to abstract detail he will always be learning and adapting, always improving. There is no ceiling for Rondo because, for him, playing basketball is a continuous education. Even when he will be 35 years old. This separates him from 99% of the NBA.
Most NBA think they're alpha. Compared to collegiate, sure. Not compared to Rondo.
The regular season is Rondo's laboratory, his testing ground. Then he literally bends the game to his will in the the playoffs (Lebron can do this, KD can, Melo can't, blah blah beta).
I do understand that anyone is expendable depending on the return. But really.

Yeah I know, I sound like I'm riding Rondo's you-know-what. Whatever.

Keep this guy.

And all y'all foolish if you think he can't shoot..
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 10:29:18 AM by ben_from_boston »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Trade Wallace for any shorter contract. 

Bass and Lee for shorter contracts or cheaper role players.

Green for a shorter contract and a lower payed, not reached their near star ceiling young player.  (Or a first round draft pick of a team trying to make the eighth seed)