Author Topic: With 6 weeks till the trade deadline, is anyone safe? What are you hoping for ?  (Read 9135 times)

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
So there's slightly over 6 weeks until the trade deadline. Rondo may be back by the end of January but it's doubtful he plays any meaningful minutes till February.

So who is safe? And who is likely to go?
I think the most likely players to go are Bass, Avery Bradley and Courtney Lee. Humphries and Bogans are there too with their expirings.

The Western conference semi-contenders are going to need to beef up and teams like Portland, Houston and the Clippers may look to either shore up their benches or maintain future flexibility.

Realistically, I don't think anyone is safe. Everyone will be shopped because it's Ainge's job to see what kind of value he can get back in return. Rondo and Sully are the two safest but they will also be the two highest in demand.

For me the most telling part about our future, and his future plans will be how hard he tries to secure a top 10 pick over the next 6-7 weeks.
*I think to do so, he'll have to move Bass and Bradley. Even a few small moves like this would surely cement us in the bottom 10 teams given their roles on our team.
It's not like they're great players, their stats are average to below average but they are great role players/bench guys on any contender and thus are keeping us in that category of team that makes the playoffs simply because everyone sucks more than us- which he recently stated was not the best outcome for the Celtics this year.

OR, does Ainge simply shop around, but ultimately stand pat and let this team play it out if nothing above average presents itself? It seems doing so is meddling in mediocrity ( by keeping this squad together) which isn't Ainge's style- but he may feel that's the best option long term. It also depends on what he values more...the lottery pick or the value in return he gets for guys like Bass and Lee.
My hope is that he moves as many older vets as possible, and even if the returns are lower than expected, that he pulls the trigger so our young guys and rookies get as much time as possible. I would not be surprised to see Avery Bradley moved, so Courtney Lee can build up his own trade value come draft night- bringing Brooks in as a rotation two guard.

It's going to be an exciting 6 weeks because if moves are made, there's a great chance they'll be indicative of his long term plans.

What do you think will happen?
What do you hope will happen?

Fire away.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
I don't see Avery being traded. Teams usually don't trade for RFA unless they are stars.

I think I'm the last guy to hop off the Lee bandwagon. He's solid, but no real place on this team.

Bass should be able to be moved fairly easy. I doubt Danny will get much for him but maybe a late first? Disappointing prospect?

I'd be absolutely floored to see Rondo get traded. IF he gets moved, it'll be this summer.

Humphries would be a terrific addition for contenders, but his large salary may make it hard to match.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
I don't see Avery being traded. Teams usually don't trade for RFA unless they are stars.

I think I'm the last guy to hop off the Lee bandwagon. He's solid, but no real place on this team.

Bass should be able to be moved fairly easy. I doubt Danny will get much for him but maybe a late first? Disappointing prospect?

I'd be absolutely floored to see Rondo get traded. IF he gets moved, it'll be this summer.

Humphries would be a terrific addition for contenders, but his large salary may make it hard to match.

The only thing about Lee is that he and Rondo are the only guards under contract for next year, pretty much.  I really wouldn't want to fill out an entire new roster if Bradley and Crawford get long term offers.

But I would make sense to move his contract to resign Bradley.

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
If we are going after Lowry them Rondo becomes expendable.   I could see us trying to pawn him off on Detroit for Monroe.  Lowry is a good passer not great like Rondo but he is a better shooter.   Monroe would be your C, Sully PF and and Green SF.  If this happens they keep AB at SG. 

However, I heard AB was the guy we are dangling for Lowry.

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
If we are going after Lowry them Rondo becomes expendable.   I could see us trying to pawn him off on Detroit for Monroe.  Lowry is a good passer not great like Rondo but he is a better shooter.   Monroe would be your C, Sully PF and and Green SF.  If this happens they keep AB at SG. 

Source on Lowry trade?
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Source on Lowry trade?

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/writer/ken-berger/24396660/asik-staying-put-for-now-and-more-nba-trade-buzz

I don't know where the Bradley bit came from.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo

Source on Lowry trade?

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/writer/ken-berger/24396660/asik-staying-put-for-now-and-more-nba-trade-buzz

I don't know where the Bradley bit came from.

Yeah, I was referring to his Bradley comment.
*CB Miami Heat*

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

Lowry as 3rd guard?

Offline wedman8

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 5
Would you make this trade happen if you were Danny?

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=n55mrhh

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
I am hoping we get rid of our bad contracts. and while I'm sure no one is safe, I believe DA would listen to any offer, and consider any offer that made us better. I honestly feel rondo will not be traded and that it's probably never been considered.

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'm hoping to see as many of the vets unloaded for expiring contracts and minor assets as possible.

The team isn't very good.  If there's any way to unload future salary and clear up more playing time for the younger guys (especially Vitor and KO), I'd love to see that happen.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182

Lowry as 3rd guard?

If you want to deal with the headache he'd cause by not starting on what he'd consider a mediocre team, sure.  Houston traded him specifically for that reason and he's notoriously headstrong.  Plus, he's going to be looking for a pay increase (which he'll certainly get with the season he's having) and it doesn't make much sense to me to overpay for a guy you want to use as a backup.

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo

Lowry as 3rd guard?

If you want to deal with the headache he'd caused by not starting on what he'd consider a mediocre team, sure.  Houston traded him specifically for that reason and he's notoriously headstrong.

A lot of the things people say about Lowry, people tend to say about Rajon Rondo.
*CB Miami Heat*

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I'm hoping to see as many of the vets unloaded for expiring contracts and minor assets as possible.

The team isn't very good.  If there's any way to unload future salary and clear up more playing time for the younger guys (especially Vitor and KO), I'd love to see that happen.
Completely agree.

On a side note, I hop Rondo comes back soon because I expect him to really help the stock of Bass and Green who are the two guys that I think we could trade and would actually bring us back something worthwile.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Completely agree.

On a side note, I hop Rondo comes back soon because I expect him to really help the stock of Bass and Green who are the two guys that I think we could trade and would actually bring us back something worthwile.

I'd like to see Rondo come back and look good and healthy, too.  Though I must admit I'd prefer that his healthy return not vault the team to just barely making the playoffs.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain