Author Topic: Ken Berger: Cs have called about Lowry;LAC and MInn frontcourt help;Asik to stay  (Read 14213 times)

Offline chicagoceltic

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 208
I may be mistaken but I thought that after all the Doc and KG to the Clippers trade talk that part of the final deal in the Doc trade was that we couldn't trade with the Clips this year...
Pub Draft

Sam N Ella's

At the Bar: The Most Interesting Man in the World
At the Door:  Hugh Hefner
On Stage:  O.A.R., Louis C.K., EDGAR! Special Drinks:  Irish Car Bomb, Martinis On Tap: Lite, Beamish, 3 Floyds Seasonal, Chimay Grand Reserve, Spotted Cow

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I may be mistaken but I thought that after all the Doc and KG to the Clippers trade talk that part of the final deal in the Doc trade was that we couldn't trade with the Clips this year...

Yep, that was the report.

https://twitter.com/KBergCBS/status/349633300039610368

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I get that Danny is into collecting assets, but trading for Lowry wouldn't make much sense unless the plan is to trade Rondo.

Lowry costs too much to be a backup; won't be able to get return on the investment unless he's starting.

I don't know that Lowry makes sense even if you do trade Rondo. Isn't he a FA this offseason? The two questions I'd have are how much (and for how long) you'd pay him and how long would it take for you to regret that contract?

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I get that Danny is into collecting assets, but trading for Lowry wouldn't make much sense unless the plan is to trade Rondo.

Lowry costs too much to be a backup; won't be able to get return on the investment unless he's starting.

I don't know that Lowry makes sense even if you do trade Rondo. Isn't he a FA this offseason? The two questions I'd have are how much (and for how long) you'd pay him and how long would it take for you to regret that contract?

The report says the trade exception would be involved.

Better to try to sign and trade Lowry's expiring than let the TE expire?

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

I'm with you; I don't really see the point in trading for Lowry since we'd have to give him a contract.  I think he's on the same level as guys like Felton, Chalmers, Dragic, Teague, Hill etc -- if you have a talented roster otherwise and you don't have to overpay for him to be your starter, that's solid.  Any of those guys, including Lowry, can have stretches where they play really well, too.

I don't see how Lowry could be a buy-low / sell-high guy (as Asik might have been), so unless there's some corresponding move to add a lot of talent elsewhere, I'm confused by this supposed interest.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Don't want fields contract either.  He has half the PER of Humphries and twice the contract length.

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

That adds his entire salary to our total since we wouldn't be sending any contracts out, pushing us well into the luxury tax and putting us into the repeater category going forward. He's not worth going through that for.

Offline Mattson

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 1
You know what really annoys me? The fact that we never went after any young guys when Pierce and KG were still here. And by young I don't mean rookies or unproven guys. Players like Asik & Lowry could have really helped us ???

It would be nice to land those pieces now, too, don't get me wrong, but I don't get why suddenly we're after every young player on the block.
"My lil' bro Mattson writes about the Celtics and the NBA over at http://www.randomandsome.com/ -- Buckets!"

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

That adds his entire salary to our total since we wouldn't be sending any contracts out, pushing us well into the luxury tax and putting us into the repeater category going forward. He's not worth going through that for.

1)To: "go into the repeater category going forward." That's a little misleading. You either qualify or you don't, and in order for us to qualify for the repeater tax we'd have to finish over the tax this year and next year. The repeater category doesn't start until next season, and then, in 14-15, it will only affects teams that have paid the luxury tax in the each of the last three seasons from then.

2)There's no reason why we can't use the TE on Lowry and then send out another player to get us below the tax threshold at a later date. Your tax level is determined at the end of the season, IIRC, not at every moment during it.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I don't think we can absorb Lowry's contract without exceeding our hard cap (i.e., the "apron", $4 million above the luxury tax line).

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

1)To: "go into the repeater category going forward." That's a little misleading. You either qualify or you don't, and in order for us to qualify for the repeater tax we'd have to finish over the tax this year and next year. The repeater category doesn't start until next season, and then, in 14-15, it will only affects teams that have paid the luxury tax in the each of the last three seasons from then.

2)There's no reason why we can't use the TE on Lowry and then send out another player to get us below the tax threshold at a later date. Your tax level is determined at the end of the season, IIRC, not at every moment during it.

1) yes, I suppose that I could have been more verbose. It impacts future moves in years that we'll hopefully be more amenable to exceeding the luxury tax. 2) Lowry makes over $6M. Who's going to take a player making that much from us without sending back salary?

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Yeah, we were discussing Lowry earlier:

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=68869.0

I don't think it'd necessarily be a precursor to a Rondo trade. Ainge is all about stockpiling assets.

As for the Clips and TWolves looking for frontcourt help (Bass?), not sure what they could come up with.

Edit: not sure why the Wolves need frontcourt help, unless they need a backup C. Cunningham and the Fresh Prince can both play minutes at PF.

I dont see Lowry linked to a Rondo trade at all. Danny is probably kicking the tires on everybody and Lowry is a good young asset and has an expiring contract. I would expect Danny to inquire on him, especially if Rondo starts out playing only 20ish minutes a game this year.

Offline 317

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 25

the repeater tax is going to be 3 out of the past 4 years, not 3 in a row.

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Yeah, we were discussing Lowry earlier:

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=68869.0

I don't think it'd necessarily be a precursor to a Rondo trade. Ainge is all about stockpiling assets.

As for the Clips and TWolves looking for frontcourt help (Bass?), not sure what they could come up with.

Edit: not sure why the Wolves need frontcourt help, unless they need a backup C. Cunningham and the Fresh Prince can both play minutes at PF.

Thanks Lucky,....+1 shoulda checked......

No worries. Check out the discussion there, there were some good points on Ainge potentially using the TE in a Lowry deal.

Don't steal my stuff! Kidding.

The TE-4-Lowry thing is a stretch. We'd have to do another tricky deal to gain enough room under the tax to do it at all... and then why do the Raps wanna do it? We're not giving them a meaningful pick for Lowry anyway.

Not to mention, by all accounts, Lowry is a ****head. Have my doubts that Ainge / Stevens really see value in him -- average PG who needs the ball in his hands a ton to  be successful.

I agree that the "keep Asik thing" doesn't make much sense either. That's planted with Berger (and Stein, i believe) by Houston to try to regain their footing in the market. There are still a half dozen GMs in the league that are dumb enough to listen.

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

the repeater tax is going to be 3 out of the past 4 years, not 3 in a row.

You're right moving forward, but there seems to be a special difference for next season according to the Cap FAQ:

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q21
For 2014-15 teams pay an incremental rate based on their team salary. They pay the repeater rate if they also were taxpayers in all of the previous three seasons.

1) yes, I suppose that I could have been more verbose. It impacts future moves in years that we'll hopefully be more amenable to exceeding the luxury tax. 2) Lowry makes over $6M. Who's going to take a player making that much from us without sending back salary?

I'm not sure what kind of moves would be out there for moving players if we did use the TPE on Lowry, but I suspect they're a little more plentiful than you might think.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.