Author Topic: Celtics inquired about Lowry?  (Read 5825 times)

Celtics inquired about Lowry?
« on: January 03, 2014, 02:57:00 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

Re: Celtics inquired about Lowry?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 03:04:58 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
I'm not sure he'd want to be a backup this is indeed weird  ???
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 03:05:42 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Danny just looking for assets. Probably offered Humphries for him and some filler, something like that. While offering to be the third team if it needed something like that.

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 03:05:59 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/writer/ken-berger/24396660/asik-staying-put-for-now-and-more-nba-trade-buzz

weird....

Weird indeed. Lowry is a very solid PG but I'm not why Boston would have interest. Maybe Ainge had a deal he liked for Rajon and tried to get Lowry on the cheap as a replacement?

Also weird to hear that Asik is likely to stay put. Doesn't shock me but Houston ownership will be paying out $30 million for two BENCH PLAYERS next season (Lin/Asik) if both stay put.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 03:06:28 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
In addition to the Lakers, Knicks and Nets, the Timberwolves, Warriors and Celtics are among the teams that have inquired about a deal with the Raptors for Lowry, league sources say. Raptors GM Masai Ujiri has been encouraged by the team's recent play, as Toronto has gone 9-3 since the trade with two of the losses coming against the Spurs But despite the Raptors' fourth-place status in the pitiful East, Ujiri is determined to take the long-term view. With the deadline less than seven weeks away, Ujiri is said to have multiple deals he could do for Lowry that would involve receiving an expiring contract in return or slotting him into another team's trade exception. Taking back future salary would come at a high price, i.e. a first-round pick.

I'm sure Ainge views Lowry as a chip, if not a stopgap at PG while Rondo remains out.

Beyond a simple swap of expirings (Bogans?), I wonder what else Ainge would be willing to part with to get Lowry. I doubt he'd attach a 1st, but Ujiri would probably demand some additional sweetener to part with Lowry, who's playing quite well.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 03:15:43 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/writer/ken-berger/24396660/asik-staying-put-for-now-and-more-nba-trade-buzz

weird....

Weird indeed. Lowry is a very solid PG but I'm not why Boston would have interest. Maybe Ainge had a deal he liked for Rajon and tried to get Lowry on the cheap as a replacement?

Also weird to hear that Asik is likely to stay put. Doesn't shock me but Houston ownership will be paying out $30 million for two BENCH PLAYERS next season (Lin/Asik) if both stay put.

Lowry's expiring, maybe Danny was looking at giving them someone like Lee to save long term money.

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2014, 03:18:37 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
As far as the players on the floor go, it's only "weird" if you think that the team would be worse with Lowry + whatever Rondo can bring in as a trade asset than just keeping Rondo.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2014, 03:27:52 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
In addition to the Lakers, Knicks and Nets, the Timberwolves, Warriors and Celtics are among the teams that have inquired about a deal with the Raptors for Lowry, league sources say. Raptors GM Masai Ujiri has been encouraged by the team's recent play, as Toronto has gone 9-3 since the trade with two of the losses coming against the Spurs But despite the Raptors' fourth-place status in the pitiful East, Ujiri is determined to take the long-term view. With the deadline less than seven weeks away, Ujiri is said to have multiple deals he could do for Lowry that would involve receiving an expiring contract in return or slotting him into another team's trade exception. Taking back future salary would come at a high price, i.e. a first-round pick.

I'm sure Ainge views Lowry as a chip, if not a stopgap at PG while Rondo remains out.

Beyond a simple swap of expirings (Bogans?), I wonder what else Ainge would be willing to part with to get Lowry. I doubt he'd attach a 1st, but Ujiri would probably demand some additional sweetener to part with Lowry, who's playing quite well.

I would not swap Bogans for him. Bogans is obviously not as good a player, but he has a far more valuble contract as an asset this summer.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2014, 03:32:23 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

If you see the bolded part, I think ideally Danny is using the TPE.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2014, 03:32:27 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I think a good expiring player is better than one that can be setup to be waiveable for another year if you don't want him to expire this year.

Expiring deals are overrated in value.

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2014, 03:35:34 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
As far as the players on the floor go, it's only "weird" if you think that the team would be worse with Lowry + whatever Rondo can bring in as a trade asset than just keeping Rondo.

Right. If Danny is thinking about moving Rondo, this move is a no-brainer, especially if its only costing us the TPE or an expiring.

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2014, 03:37:42 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

Which would put us over the cap unless there's another moving part, I believe.

Didn't see your last post while I was typing, IP. We're on the same page.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2014, 03:40:08 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

THat's true, but is that a big deal? This is my CBA ignorance showing but if we use the TPE and get over the cap but not over the tax line, is that a big deal?

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2014, 03:40:39 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I think Lowry would work well alongside Rondo (edit: because Lowry is more of a scoring PG [and a tough defender] so Lowry generally functions quite well in two PG backcourts). As a backup PG/SG. Spread out the floor and let those two pick defenses apart with their ball-handling and driving.

Maybe a (small) three guard backcourt with Avery Bradley. Lots of quickness, toughness and defensive tenacity. Speed up the tempo. Lowry providing another dribble drive threat and scoring ability off the dribble. Plus he has a three point jump shot.

Edit
: Meh, nevermind. Lowry's contract demands would be too high for that work out. What was he meant to be asking for, again? $10-12 million a year? That wouldn't work out.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 04:33:15 PM by Who »

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2014, 03:46:35 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

THat's true, but is that a big deal? This is my CBA ignorance showing but if we use the TPE and get over the cap but not over the tax line, is that a big deal?

Should've been more clear with my verbiage--we're well over the salary cap right now, and according to hoopshype we're right under the tax line, which is 71.7 mill, with a payroll of $71,631,723

The cap is something like 58 million.