Author Topic: Red Claws Update  (Read 14629 times)

Red Claws Update
« on: January 03, 2014, 04:20:47 AM »

Offline ummidkme

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 12
I figure we will need a thread soon about the Red Claws with Brooks down there and Rondo soon to follow (maybe).

BROOKS DEBUTS IN MAINE: MarShon Brooks, assigned to the Maine Red Claws on Wednesday, scored 27 points on 9-of-18 shooting with four rebounds and three assists over 31:23 in his D-League debut. Brooks was a team-best plus-12. During his weekly appearance on Boston sports radio 98.5 the SportsHub, Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge noted, "MarShon, he’s been stuck behind Avery [Bradley] and Courtney [Lee]. Avery is having a terrific year; Courtney is having very good year, also. He hasn’t gotten an opportunity to play in games... [and] we just want him to stay ready. We’re not going to have him there long, he’ll be with us most of the time." Ainge noted Maine is a chance for Brooks to get game reps and stay ready for when an opportunity presents itself with the parent club.

Courtesy of ESPN Celtics Blog

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4709747/notebook-time-to-protect-sullinger#more

Re: Red Claws Update
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 02:38:40 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
i so don't want rondo playing in maine!

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 03:40:27 PM »

Offline ummidkme

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 12
More on Brooks: http://www.celticslife.com/2014/01/marshon-brooks-does-his-best-fab-melo.html

More on Rondo: http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4709779/rondo-would-embrace-camping-with-claws

Boston Celtics point guard Rajon Rondo confirmed Thursday that a stint with the Maine Red Claws of the NBA Development League is a possibility as he navigates the final stages of his rehab from ACL surgery and said that he'd embrace the idea of being one of the league's first superstars to travel that path.

"I think that’s what [the D-League is] for," Rondo told reporters in Chicago (video HERE) before the Celtics visited the Bulls. "I’d probably be the first guy to do that, but it doesn’t make a difference. I want to make sure I’m healthy and I handle it the right way. I don't want my first [game-like action] to be with the Celtics. I haven't had a preseason. I haven't had a training camp. Right now, this is pretty much my training camp."

Rondo added, "It’s an idea, definitely. That’s more game-like speed. With our schedule, with the Celtics, we don’t get a chance to play a lot of pickup, so [the Red Claws] might be a possibility."

With Rondo preparing to travel out west with the Celtics on a five-game road trip starting Sunday in Oklahoma City, it's unclear when Rondo might join Maine for practice and/or game reps.

"You just never know," said Rondo. "I might pop up and just play. [Reporters] won’t get the memo. You’ll have to catch me on YouTube or something. But I don’t know. It’ll be like an overnight decision."

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 03:45:50 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
the "franchise" player should not mess around with the d-league.  if he gets injured playing in a d-league game, its on the organization's head.  i understand rondo being open to the idea, but the execs need to put a stop to it.  play in practice and nba games (even if in small increments and not many minutes)

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 03:56:37 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I agree.  I hope rondo doesn't start playing pick up games with the Red Claws.  He needs to be with the team.

I am fine with Brooks going there, and I honestly hope he doesn't come back to the C's. 

I would MUCH rather have Babb come back.  Babb at least puts in the effort, is a great shooter and probably a better fit for our team.

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 04:03:37 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
You guys don't think that a player like Rondo doing a rehab stint in the D-League would be a good thing for both organizations, not to mention the player himself?

Especially for teams like the Spurs and Celtics who have direct and hybrid (respectively) ownership over D-League teams?

I think that someone like Rondo or Rose doing end-of-rehab games in the D-League is an excellent way to ditch the premise of " messing around and playing pickup games with the Red Claws," reaction to that organization, and that the NBA is eager to lift that label as well.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2014, 12:32:59 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson

I think that someone like Rondo or Rose doing end-of-rehab games in the D-League is an excellent way to ditch the premise of " messing around and playing pickup games with the Red Claws," reaction to that organization, and that the NBA is eager to lift that label as well.

i could care less about the image of the nba/d-league....i dont want our best player to potentially get hurt in that environment.  if he gets hurt in practice or in a nba game, so be it....it happens.  but if he ever got hurt in the d-league id be upset and think the execs should be held accountable for allowing that decision to be made.

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2014, 01:04:30 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
in baseball guys always go to the minors when coming back from major injuries. and baseball has been doing this forever.
minors are good for rehabbing players because they can compete and get up to speed without having to push themselves as hard as they would in the pros.
so yeah, going to the red claws is a good idea.

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2014, 01:11:14 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
in baseball guys always go to the minors when coming back from major injuries. and baseball has been doing this forever.
minors are good for rehabbing players because they can compete and get up to speed without having to push themselves as hard as they would in the pros.

baseball and basketball are apples/oranges.  so the comparison doesn't work imo

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2014, 09:35:59 PM »

Offline Yenohb

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 73
Another great game from Brooks in a loss against Springfield:
26 pts, 11 rebs, 6 ast..

Romero Osby also ballin with 24 pts, 7 rebs, 4-6 3PM-A..

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2014, 09:41:58 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup

baseball and basketball are apples/oranges.  so the comparison doesn't work imo

Though the NBA/D-League relationship has definitely been trending more this way than in the past. The name of the league itself speaks to that.  The old CBA was much more of a guns for hire league. 
Yup

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2014, 10:25:28 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

i could care less about the image of the nba/d-league....i dont want our best player to potentially get hurt in that environment.  if he gets hurt in practice or in a nba game, so be it....it happens.  but if he ever got hurt in the d-league id be upset and think the execs should be held accountable for allowing that decision to be made.

He could get hurt first game out in the NBA where the guys are faster and stronger that he's going up against. Jordan played against NC players when he was rehabbing his foot, why should Rondo be any different?

When the D-League came about teams talked about using the system for injured players. This could be beneficial to teams were the coach doesn't have to worry about playing time and winning games, let the D-league coach worry about that. Also the player just has to worry about getting right, and not worry if he's hurting the team.

Players get hurt, part of the game, it really doesn't matter where and when. Didn't Bynum get hurt bowling, are we going to keep players from bowling now?   

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2014, 10:36:13 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Brooks being sent to Siberia

Could there be a colder place than Maine in the dead of winter.  ;D

I d be like send me to FLORIDA.   D League. .........know  I'm  sayn

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2014, 08:59:12 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
He could get hurt first game out in the NBA where the guys are faster and stronger that he's going up against. Jordan played against NC players when he was rehabbing his foot, why should Rondo be any different?

yes, he could get hurt his first nba game back.  injuries happen.  my point is if he is to get hurt, id rather it be in an nba practice or an nba game.

Players get hurt, part of the game, it really doesn't matter where and when. Didn't Bynum get hurt bowling, are we going to keep players from bowling now?   

yes injuries are part of the game.  however, for me, it does matter where and when (refer to my earlier post)

\ if he gets hurt in practice or in a nba game, so be it....it happens.  but if he ever got hurt in the d-league id be upset and think the execs should be held accountable for allowing that decision to be made.

as far as the bynum/bowling remark...don't be ridiculous in an attempt to make a point.

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2014, 09:06:15 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Brooks being sent to Siberia

Could there be a colder place than Maine in the dead of winter.  ;D

I d be like send me to FLORIDA.   D League. .........know  I'm  sayn

Portland's not that bad in the winter. No worse than Boston, anyway.

For what it's worth, PJ and Mike just made all of Sketch's points on the television.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.