at New Orleans Pelicans (14-16) at Boston Celtics (13-19)
Friday, January 3, 2014
7:30 PM ET
Regular Season Game #33 – Home Game #18
TV: CSN-NE, FSNOLA, NBA-LP 755(DTV)/754(Xfinity)
Radio: WBZ, WWL
TD GardenProbable Starters Point Guard
Jordan Crawford Shooting Guard
Avery BradleySmall Forward
Jeff Green Power Forward CenterCeltics Reserves
Rajon Rondo (ACL)outRed Claws
(pretend that says Pelicans)Probable StartersPoint Guard
Jrue HolidayShooting Guard
Eric Gordon Small Forward
Al Farouq Amino Power Forward
Anthony DavisPelicans Reserves
Jason Smith (shoulder) questionable Game Notes
The Celtics host the Pelicans before heading out for their west coast trip. The Pelicans (or Hornets) have won the last 3 meetings between these two teams.
The Celtics have lost their last 2 games and 5 of their last 6. They have fallen to 3.0 games behind the Raptors for the Atlantic Division lead and are now 1/2 game out of the playoffs behind Chicago who leap frogged them into 8th.
The Pelicans lost their last game and are 4-6 in their last 10 games. The Celtics are 3-7 in their last 10. The Celtics are 8-9 at home while the Pelicans are 5-11 on the road. The Pelicans are in the 10th spot in the west, 4 games out of the playoffs.
Avery Bradley vs Eric Gordon
Gordon is averaging 15.4 points, 3.1 assists and 1.4 steals per game this season. He can put up points quickly if he gets open. Even if he is tired, Avery should be able to contain him, however.
Jared Sullinger vs Anthony Davis
Davis is a handful and will definitely be a tough matchup for Sully. He is averaging 19.2 points, 10.3 rebounds and an impressive 3.2 blocks per game. Keys to the Game Play 48 Minutes
- The Celtics have got to play all 48 minutes of every game. They play so well at times and then seem to forget how to play at other times. They have to figure out how to stop the lapses and play as a team for the whole game. Move the Ball
- The Celtics must do a better job of moving the ball and finding the open man. They had just 15 assists against the Bulls. They have to stop over dribbling and get back to passing the ball and getting everyone involved.
- The Celtics have to continue to crash the boards as a team. Rebounding takes effort and the Celtics have to show that effort on the boards. Defense
- The Celtics seem to go through offensive droughts at times during games and it is essential that they continue to play tough defense to keep the Pelicans from scoring at will during those droughts. Run and Go to the Hoop
- The Celtics need to run on every possession. They also need to get inside and not settle for outside shots. When the Celtics build leads, they are running and going to the hoop. When they lose leads they stop running and settle for outside shots. X-Factors Fatigue and Home
The Celtics are playing in back to back games and so fatigue may become a factor. The Celtics are playing at home, however, and they may get a boost from the home crowd.