Author Topic: Yet another NFL game outcome change by ref blunder  (Read 7021 times)

Yet another NFL game outcome change by ref blunder
« on: December 30, 2013, 04:15:16 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10214659/nfl-admits-referees-missed-penalty-san-diego-chargers-end-regulation-vs-kansas-city-chiefs

Pittsburgh eliminated from the playoffs on a missed call. Another game where the outcome may have been flipped due to referee error. This is part for the course, as calls will always be missed until we have an effective automated system.

For some reason, NBA fans go crazy over missed calls but football practically gets a free pass. Kinda silly. Calls are blown in every sport at every level. Nothing is worse than ball and strikes in baseball.

Re: Yet another NFL game outcome change by ref blunder
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 04:32:03 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10214659/nfl-admits-referees-missed-penalty-san-diego-chargers-end-regulation-vs-kansas-city-chiefs

Pittsburgh eliminated from the playoffs on a missed call. Another game where the outcome may have been flipped due to referee error. This is part for the course, as calls will always be missed until we have an effective automated system.

For some reason, NBA fans go crazy over missed calls but football practically gets a free pass. Kinda silly. Calls are blown in every sport at every level. Nothing is worse than ball and strikes in baseball.
That would have been pretty similar with that penalty on Chris Jones. Didn't like that one, wouldn't have liked this one either.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 04:34:15 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

That would have been pretty similar with that penalty on Chris Jones. Didn't like that one, wouldn't have liked this one either.
Then have them change the rules.

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 04:36:10 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Then have them change the rules.
Right after they start enforcing holding on every case when there is, well, holding.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 04:43:10 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
That call (KC-SD) was pretty egregious.  The formation is right in front of you.  There's a referee with that specific responsibility (umpire, maybe?) to determine if a formation is legal.  Certainly a bad missed call.

A couple of other calls I wasn't a fan of yesterday:

-That late hit penalty on McClellin on Rodgers in the Bears-Packers game.  That was bad.

-The delay of game call on Dallas in the 4th quarter was pretty bad and could've been easily correctable too.  The time keeper did screw up but the referees could've easily figured that thing out.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 04:46:06 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Kozlodoev I don't buy the whole "don't enforce everything so only fair to enforce nothing."

Refs had a bad week for sure. I concur on Dons on his list.

Rogers was outside the pocked running, Forte/Starks/Kuhn/Lacy all got "roughed" on almost every carry by that calls standards. The delay of game call was also bad.

I also am sick of the illegal contact being so inconsistent. Marshall/Jeffries were getting bumped a ton 10-15 yards down field. KC did the same thing to Denver and the flags flew like crazy as have other teams and the flags fly. Just depends on the crew. (Bears DBs did it too, both teams adjusted to the crew, which is what you have to do I guess)

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 04:55:29 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Out of plain curiosity, has that Chris Jones penalty been called in any other game this year? 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2013, 04:58:07 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Out of plain curiosity, has that Chris Jones penalty been called in any other game this year?
Not that I know of.

Kozlodoev I don't buy the whole "don't enforce everything so only fair to enforce nothing."
I didn't say this should be the standard. But a missed call on a rule that's established for "player safety" and that likely didn't affect the outcome of the play? You're not going to see me crying over this one. Make the FG.

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2013, 05:05:32 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1002
NFL refs = NBA refs...what else is new.  :(

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2013, 05:15:30 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Karma can indeed be a booger.  When you have a head coach standing on the field interfering with a very important play (he was CHEATING on purpose out of desperation), and then his team is on the wrong side of a call keeping them from the playoffs, I have a VERY HARD TIME having any sympathy for him or his team!!!

Smitty77

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2013, 05:48:03 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Orrrr .... Ryan Succop could make a makeable field goal?

In all seriousness, I understand the frustration with missed calls, and I'd prefer to see games decided by the players.

Then again, how many mistakes did the Steelers make during the season to put themselves in such a precarious position? Are the Steelers and their fans as upset with the team as they are with the refs? Are they as upset with Ryan Succop?

Did I mention he could've made that field goal?
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2013, 05:49:32 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
I live in SD and twice I've walked into the breakroom today and heard people sheepishly trying to justify why it's okay the Chargers made the playoffs.  The last time they were like "but we've beaten good teams, like the Chiefs earlier this year when they had their starters in, not to mention the Broncos and Cowboys"

/to which I of course said "the Cowboys are not a good team"

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2013, 06:51:56 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
I live in SD and twice I've walked into the breakroom today and heard people sheepishly trying to justify why it's okay the Chargers made the playoffs.  The last time they were like "but we've beaten good teams, like the Chiefs earlier this year when they had their starters in, not to mention the Broncos and Cowboys"

Please just remember that the Cowboys' suffered more injuries to their front seven on defense than perhaps ANY team in NFL history.  Not to mention losing a multi-year Pro Bowl offensive lineman and a multi-year QB that led his team to a must win on a last minute drive to keep his team's playoff hopes alive with a herniated disk.  I will gladly put Romo's histrionics in that game up against anything EVER done in a major sport!!!  For not being a good team, they sure as heck played the Superbowl favorite Bronco's to a virtual draw.

Please feel free to rebut any of this with facts and counter points.

Smitty77

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2013, 07:03:23 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Please just remember that the Cowboys' suffered more injuries to their front seven on defense than perhaps ANY team in NFL history.  Not to mention losing a multi-year Pro Bowl offensive lineman and a multi-year QB that led his team to a must win on a last minute drive to keep his team's playoff hopes alive with a herniated disk.  I will gladly put Romo's histrionics in that game up against anything EVER done in a major sport!!!  For not being a good team, they sure as heck played the Superbowl favorite Bronco's to a virtual draw.

Smitty77

I'm not sure that injuries are an excuse.  Look at the Pats and the Broncos.  Both suffered a ton of injuries this year, and they have the top two seeds in the West.

I think Dallas underachieved, again.  They're consistently one of the top handful of teams in terms of raw talent, and they never maximize that.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2013, 08:13:21 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

Smitty77

I'm not sure that injuries are an excuse.  Look at the Pats and the Broncos.  Both suffered a ton of injuries this year, and they have the top two seeds in the West.

I think Dallas underachieved, again.  They're consistently one of the top handful of teams in terms of raw talent, and they never maximize that.

Roy,

Here are some facts:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1845768-breaking-down-the-dallas-cowboys-defensive-collapse

We didn't just lose starters, we lost multi-year Pro Bowlers Roy.  We also lost two players who graded out as the best at their positions, Anthony Spencer and Sean Lee.  We also had the debacle of multi-year Pro Bowler Jay Ratliff quitting on us and then amazingly getting healthy and starting for the Bears.  (And by the way, we WILL win a nice settlement from him on this.  You are a lawyer, and I bet you at least agree with me on the fact that the Cowboys WILL win some money back from that worthless traitor.) 

We lost NINETEEN players in our front four Roy.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/tag/_/name/jay-ratliff

I will gladly admit to being wrong IF you can find any team that lost 20 or more players in their front four on defense.  If you are a Pats's fan, you might be familiar with five-time Pro Bowler, Brian Waters, who we lost for the year and was just getting into solid playing condition when he got hurt.

Smitty77

These facts are from 2012, another 8-8 season and some info on 2013:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1812407-are-injuries-about-to-ruin-another-dallas-cowboys-season