Author Topic: It's always great to hear a John Havlicek story  (Read 2296 times)

It's always great to hear a John Havlicek story
« on: December 25, 2013, 09:15:03 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286

Re: It's always great to hear a John Havlicek story
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2013, 09:50:59 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
Hondo could run all day...Weird thing was, He could have stuck around to play with Bird...and Cowens was still playing in the league--with Milwaukee...There's a video of Cowens playing against Bird and McHale that I saw a few years back....it was a strange sight.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2013, 10:09:55 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286
Hondo could run all day...Weird thing was, He could have stuck around to play with Bird...and Cowens was still playing in the league--with Milwaukee...There's a video of Cowens playing against Bird and McHale that I saw a few years back....it was a strange sight.

My memory, which isn't so good anymore, is that Cowens retired and changed his mind a couple of years later.  Old friend Don Nelson was coaching the Bucks and traded Quinn Buckner to the Celtics for Cowens.  I think the Celtics were looking for someone who could play point guard and guard Andrew Toney.

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2013, 10:47:23 PM »

Offline BadNewsBarnes

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 41
Your memory is still pretty good Emmette.  That was the deal.  I remember that happening and I was kind of disappointed that Cowens came back because I didn't think he would be that good.  I wish he would've stuck around another year with Bird though.

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2013, 11:14:48 PM »

Offline huzy

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 82
  • We not Me
Cool story! Thanks for posting. TP
"      “I can make a trade every day if I want to, but that's not going to help us. A trade that would get us better rarely comes along. They're very difficult to find. Good trades are very difficult in our league and don't happen very often.”
-Danny Ainge