Author Topic: The trade that would make us instant intant title contenders.  (Read 5201 times)

The trade that would make us instant intant title contenders.
« on: December 25, 2013, 12:57:49 PM »

Offline bleedGREENdon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 29
Melo + chandler + stoudemire

Green + Hump + 2 firsts + Gerald Wallace + faveroni

Rondo
Bradley
Melo
Sully
Chandler

Re: The trade that would make us instant intant title contenders.
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2013, 01:18:22 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Salaries don't "match" under cap rules.  We'd be receiving $57 million in contracts (!!), and only sending out around $33 million.

There are other problems, but that's the one that stops this from even being possible.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2013, 01:37:03 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Salaries don't "match" under cap rules.  We'd be receiving $57 million in contracts (!!), and only sending out around $33 million.

There are other problems, but that's the one that stops this from even being possible.

Bringing in 57 million is scary to me.

However. A return of Melo Chandler is something I really wouldnt mind so much. AS as a super sixth man, contract and all, isnt terrible either.

Unfortunately the  trade would look like this...
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=mmqa2ao

Leaving us with Rondo, Bradley, Melo, Sully, Chandler, Olynk, and Stoud and giving the knicks 10 players making it impossible.

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2013, 02:55:10 PM »

Offline Bosstown

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 32
even though this wouldn't work financially, i dont think it works from a basketball standpoint. Chandler clogs the middle, Avery isnt a great shooter...my ideal lineup would be along the lines of

Rondo - Avery - Green - Sully - Demarcus Cousins

Why? Because Cousins and Sully can hit a 15 footer, GREAT floorspacing. If you build around Rondo you need another big who can shoot. I still like DMC a lot and still think he has great defensive potential.

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2013, 03:12:15 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Instant title in a can

=.    Lebron James

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2013, 03:41:53 PM »

Offline bleedGREENdon

• Jaylen Brown
We'll we drop stoudemire from the trade. We give the Knicks multiple firsts. To take Wallace contract to make the deal work. The Knicks won't find a better replacement for Melo in Jeff green. Long term. IMO

Also if we could try getting imam shumpert in the deal.

I also don't agree with the poster who said, they wouldn't want Tyson chandler because no spacing?

We had Kendrick Perkins who is terrible in all aspects of offense. The PNR of Rondo and Tyson would be something to watch.

Sully and Melo stretch the court, and this talk of Avery can't shoot? I'm not saying he's ray Allen, but leave Avery open he will beat you. Also with rondo passing to him will improve avers stats dramatically.

The one thing with this lineup is, Melo would have to defer at times to being a catch n shoot player. Which IMO if he would do that he would win a championship.

Obviously I haven't tried to make the salaries match and everything, but it's just an idea I'm throwing out there to acquire Melo and Chandler.

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2013, 05:24:12 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I douobt Melo ever wins a title, he doesn't have the fire and I think college was enough for him.  Big games he wilts.

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2013, 05:39:43 PM »

Offline bleedGREENdon

• Jaylen Brown
I douobt Melo ever wins a title, he doesn't have the fire and I think college was enough for him.  Big games he wilts.

That's a terrible response everyone says on this forum. The same was being said about lebron in Cleveland and pierce before KG and ray Allen. Carmelo is the best scorer in the league, get him on a talented team with good coaching and they'll be title contenders. He's playing with prigioni, Kenyon Martin, a cripple stoudemire, I mean I shouldn't even continue. The Knicks have around 0 talent.

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2013, 07:17:48 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
With the Pierce trade exception we'll be able to take back 10 million more than Greens salary.
We'd also force NY to take back Wallace. And we'd NEVER take on Amare's contract.
I posted a similar trade about 3 weeks ago and was called a lunatic.
As long as Bradley could keep his 3 point % at 40% or higher then this team would contend.
Personally id rather keep Green and start him at SF with Melo at PF. He can guard most starting SF's in the NBA and would let Melo abuse power forwards all night- he'd also stretch the floor by putting Avery and Green in each corner 3 spot.
Bring Sully in when you need a traditional line up with Melo at SF.

Whatever you do, you MUST:
1) Keep Green
2) keep Sully
3) not take back Amare
4) make them take Wallace.

Theyd do this for 3 or 4 first round picks + Olynyk+ another youngin.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2013, 07:21:59 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258

That's a terrible response everyone says on this forum. The same was being said about lebron in Cleveland and pierce before KG and ray Allen. Carmelo is the best scorer in the league, get him on a talented team with good coaching and they'll be title contenders. He's playing with prigioni, Kenyon Martin, a cripple stoudemire, I mean I shouldn't even continue. The Knicks have around 0 talent.

Leaving character out of it, I don't think Melo is necessarily a "loser" but he's definitely not on the same level as LeBron or KG in terms of skill level. While he hasn't had great teammates to play with, he also doesn't make his bad teammates better like LeBron and KG do. Those two guys both score and are DPOY candidates every season, while also passing and setting up their teammates. Carmelo can only score.

The question is do you have enough assets to surround Melo with enough talent to win a title? Since he has more flaws than some other superstars, the task is a lot harder. The investment could then blow up in your face like it has with the Knicks. They brought in guys who were too injury-prone and too past their prime.

Personally I don't think Melo can be the best player on a championship team. It's possible, but the other 5-6 guys have to be really really solid and it has to be a year where there isn't another superstar team out there. Since the chances of either of those things are low, Melo becomes too risky an investment.

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2013, 07:55:09 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Carmelo is the best scorer in the league, get him on a talented team with good coaching and they'll be title contenders.

Career .45% shooter.  Bird and Jordan were .50% for their career.  LeBron is .49%.

Carmelo is not known for his D or his commitment to his team mates.  Great players make the players around them better.   Melo puts up numbers that are fantastic but he doesn't help his team mates.

The reason some of the board fear this way is we get basketball.   He takes 20.8 Shots per game this year.

And BTW right now he is not the best score in the league it's Durant!

http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics

Merry Christmas!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1565363-breaking-down-how-and-why-denver-nuggets-are-better-off-without-carmelo-anthony

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/642059-denver-nuggets-life-is-better-in-the-mile-high-city-without-carmello-anthony

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1104695-mike-dantoni-resigns-why-carmelo-anthony-forced-knicks-coach-to-quit

This guy scores and leads team right down the drain, no thanks.

http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/player/_/stat/field-goals/sort/avgFieldGoalsAttempted

Those 20.8 shots get you 26 PPG.

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/1975/carmelo-anthony

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2013, 08:52:50 PM »

fitzhickey

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=lrbzr93

I'd rather something along the lines of that tbh

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2013, 09:05:44 PM »

Offline bmxgitch

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
Melo on ANY team = no championship ! Period !

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2013, 04:18:56 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
We'll we drop stoudemire from the trade. We give the Knicks multiple firsts. To take Wallace contract to make the deal work. The Knicks won't find a better replacement for Melo in Jeff green. Long term. IMO

Also if we could try getting imam shumpert in the deal.

I also don't agree with the poster who said, they wouldn't want Tyson chandler because no spacing?

We had Kendrick Perkins who is terrible in all aspects of offense. The PNR of Rondo and Tyson would be something to watch.

Sully and Melo stretch the court, and this talk of Avery can't shoot? I'm not saying he's ray Allen, but leave Avery open he will beat you. Also with rondo passing to him will improve avers stats dramatically.

The one thing with this lineup is, Melo would have to defer at times to being a catch n shoot player. Which IMO if he would do that he would win a championship.

Obviously I haven't tried to make the salaries match and everything, but it's just an idea I'm throwing out there to acquire Melo and Chandler.
Spacing the floor will be a problem. First, Pierce is waaaaaay better than Melo at shooting from distance. Melo will also find it hard to barrel into the lane if defenders have collapsed off of Chandler AND Rondo.

Avery isn't the shooter Ray was. You can't give Ray an inch on the perimeter. With defenders glued to Pierce and Ray, and with KG on the perimeter, we STILL sometimes had problems with teams clogging the lane defensively while cheating off of Rondo. While Sully seems to be coming along quite well from the perimeter, we can't compare AB and Melo to Ray and Pierce as perimeter threats.

One point in the opposite direction is that Rondo is improved from the perimeter.