Poll

Assuming they required the same trade package, who would you rather have?

Larry Sanders
28 (65.1%)
Omer Asik
15 (34.9%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Author Topic: Assuming they cost the same, would you rather have Larry Sanders or Omer Asik?  (Read 6332 times)

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
With two centers seemingly on the trade market and the Celtics having a large hole at the center spot, who would you rather have?

1. Omer Asik (7ft, 250lbs, 27 years old) Owed $5mill roughly this year and $15mill next year as an expiring deal. (only $8mill counts towards the cap).

2012-2013 Stats: 10.3 points, 11.6 rebounds, 1.1 block, 54%FG

2. Larry Sanders (6'11, 240lbs, 24 years old) Owed $11mill for the next 4 years.

2012-2013 Stats: 9.9 points, 9.4 rebounds, 2.7 blocks, 51%FG
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Probably Asik due to cap situation.

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 417
Great question!!! How healthy is Asik and his contract does expire after next season..How really good can Sanders be? Plus his maturity is an issue..but I don't think u cant go wrong with eithr player, but I give slight edge to Asik
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 12:16:56 PM by Birdman »
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Assuming money didn't matter, Larry Sanders. If money matters, I think Asik has a better chance of justifying his cap hit (although I'm not sure he could have any kind of season that would justify his contract).

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460
I have to say Sanders due to his youth and potential, but he's a bit more of a project. While Asik is very level-headed and great on team defense, Sanders is a bit more erratic. I would have faith in Stevens and the rest of the coaching staff calming Sanders down, though.

Asik is a win-now guy, and Sanders is a win-in-a-few-years guy. I don't think we can contend now, so I say Sanders.

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2421
I would take Larry Sanders. Asik is the better player at the moment but Sanders has far more potential. I'd rather gamble on Sanders becoming a Marcus Camby type center than take Asik.

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Sanders.

Asik is a far better Center in terms of maturity, team help defense, being able to defend the perimeter, and overall great defensive anchor. And probably one of the best rebounding/defensive Centers not named Dwight Howard, Gasol, etc.

He also is less injured.

The problem is Sanders has infinite potential. I think CBS could tap into that, and really make him more excited. The Bucks are actually one of the worst franchises in my opinion... If you can get Sanders for the same price, you'd take it in a heart beat. Imagine a front court of Sully bullying power forwards, or stretching the defense by trying to shoot a 3, and then passes it to Rondo who immediately lobs it or throws the quick pass to Sanders who slams it down?

Bradley calling for a pick, taking a mid range shot he excels in, but somehow it rolls in and out only to see Sanders grabbing it and then put back dunking it?

Sanders in my opinion is actually a top 10 rebounder for PF/C. His long arms, and his great vertical along with his strengthened ability to tell where and when the ball will drop helps him in that category.

If anyone ever took Sanders over Asik, I would hope that GM would be fired.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Larry Sanders. More upside, and athleticism.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
I would take Asik.  He's a better rebounder and just as good on the defensive end as Sanders.  He also gets into foul trouble less than Sanders so he has the ability to stay on the floor longer.  The only thing Sanders does better is block shots.

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
Assuming money didn't matter, Larry Sanders. If money matters, I think Asik has a better chance of justifying his cap hit (although I'm not sure he could have any kind of season that would justify his contract).

The money is the first thing I look at with Sanders/Asik.

They both have only played very well for one season but Sanders is on the hook for 3 more years past Asik. That may be a benefit but if Sanders regresses or doesn't perform, that contract is going to be difficult to trade.

I think I lean more towards Omer Asik as his deal expiring sooner gives Danny more flexibility.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1773
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Sanders.

Asik is a far better Center in terms of maturity, team help defense, being able to defend the perimeter, and overall great defensive anchor. And probably one of the best rebounding/defensive Centers not named Dwight Howard, Gasol, etc.

He also is less injured.

The problem is Sanders has infinite potential. I think CBS could tap into that, and really make him more excited. The Bucks are actually one of the worst franchises in my opinion... If you can get Sanders for the same price, you'd take it in a heart beat. Imagine a front court of Sully bullying power forwards, or stretching the defense by trying to shoot a 3, and then passes it to Rondo who immediately lobs it or throws the quick pass to Sanders who slams it down?

Bradley calling for a pick, taking a mid range shot he excels in, but somehow it rolls in and out only to see Sanders grabbing it and then put back dunking it?

Sanders in my opinion is actually a top 10 rebounder for PF/C. His long arms, and his great vertical along with his strengthened ability to tell where and when the ball will drop helps him in that category.

You did a great job defending your position and then totally screwed up your concluding sentence by switching around their names  :)

I agree, I like the idea of Sanders as our center going forward and do think he will continue to improve - even if just by a little.

The contract is a bit much, but since money doesn't matter in this decision, I go with Sanders.

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
Sanders.

He also is less injured.

You did a great job defending your position and then totally screwed up your concluding sentence by switching around their names  :)

I agree, I like the idea of Sanders as our center going forward and do think he will continue to improve - even if just by a little.

The contract is a bit much, but since money doesn't matter in this decision, I go with Sanders.

I certainly factored in money when I posed the question...

Sanders wins hands down if money doesn't matter, but it does.
*CB Miami Heat*

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Larry

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I would take Asik.  He's a better rebounder and just as good on the defensive end as Sanders.  He also gets into foul trouble less than Sanders so he has the ability to stay on the floor longer.  The only thing Sanders does better is block shots.

I agree. Sanders has more flash, but Asik is more solid in more ways than one. Can we have both?

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Sanders is overrated....

Asik is overrated....

Can I choose neither?  Not much of a fan of either player.