Author Topic: How many people would trade bass and lee for expiring contracts?  (Read 1841 times)

How many people would trade bass and lee for expiring contracts?
« on: December 24, 2013, 11:15:19 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Yeah, me too.

That should tell people how much value we should expect in return for these guys.

Re: How many people would trade bass and lee for expiring contracts?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 11:42:09 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
Not me.

Shows how much value we should expect  :P

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 12:17:59 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
In a heartbeat. I'd prefer expiring contracts of players that suck, so we get into the lottery.

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2013, 12:21:50 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Absolutely. Get rid of that salary. $12 million a year that could be used to sign an All-Star (or near All-Star) quality player in free agency in the future.

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2013, 12:29:13 PM »

Offline 317

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 25
sign me up

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2013, 12:37:02 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
If we could trade both of them, yes.  If we could only trade Bass, I'd just assume hang onto him, since we're probably not getting anyone better in free agency next summer with the room we'd have if only he left, and then his deal expires the following year.  Lee I could take or leave.  He's not bad, but he's nothing special.  Good depth for a contender, but that's not who we are.

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2013, 12:39:58 PM »

Offline cletus1985

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 408
I'd do something like this with a future 2nd round pick from the spurs. http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=kt6ghry

It gives us a shooter who can handle the ball if rondo is out for a long time and a secondary ball handler next year if Crawford isn't resigned. It also cuts salary both this year and next and lops off the entire 3rd year of bass' deal. 2nd round pick is just. a small trade sweetener for the future.

The spurs could definitely use bass for his shooting  along TD and Splitter, plus his defense will fit right in with the team.

I think this is realistic, cuts salary, helps both teams, and gives us a small trade chip for the future. I'm thinking 2016 2nd rounder.

Lee I would definitely do a straight salary dump for if there's any takers.

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2013, 12:55:59 PM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 170
Bass and Lee are no stars, but they're worth more than a simple salary dump. An expiring with a young prospect, or a 2-year bad contract with a pick would be their fair value.

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2013, 12:58:17 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I'd do something like this with a future 2nd round pick from the spurs. http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=kt6ghry

It gives us a shooter who can handle the ball if rondo is out for a long time and a secondary ball handler next year if Crawford isn't resigned. It also cuts salary both this year and next and lops off the entire 3rd year of bass' deal. 2nd round pick is just. a small trade sweetener for the future.

The spurs could definitely use bass for his shooting  along TD and Splitter, plus his defense will fit right in with the team.

I think this is realistic, cuts salary, helps both teams, and gives us a small trade chip for the future. I'm thinking 2016 2nd rounder.

poor value for Bass.  sure we cut some salary per year but we add yet another mediocre SG and another PF (but one that couldn't crack the rotation even with Bass gone).  make that pick their first rounder this year (or next) and then it would be worth it (maybe)

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2013, 01:07:37 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
As we currently stand I don't think we can use Pierce's trade exception unless we clear more money, and we have Bradley's and Crawford's restricted status on our hands.  If we are able to trade these guys for expirings we could then use that trade exception.  I'm not an expert on this so I could be wrong.

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2013, 01:17:27 PM »

Offline cletus1985

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 408

poor value for Bass.  sure we cut some salary per year but we add yet another mediocre SG and another PF (but one that couldn't crack the rotation even with Bass gone).  make that pick their first rounder this year (or next) and then it would be worth it (maybe)

Bellinelli is solid enough to handle the PG position as a backup and he's a quality shooter, which fills a couple of needs this year and next. Notice I didn't even mention the PF we're getting? Pure salary filler to make the trade possible, buy him out for all I care.

I think a lot of people overrate Bass based on the minutes he's playing for the Celtics. On a championship team he becomes a role player with less minutes. Not worth a bunch to that team. Realistically cutting salary, clearing the logjam at PF, getting a productive player at a position that will help fill a hole, and getting a 2nd round pick is pretty good value for us. Of course with Bellinelli getting rid of Lee would be more of a priority.

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2013, 01:33:18 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
If we could trade both of them, yes.  If we could only trade Bass, I'd just assume hang onto him, since we're probably not getting anyone better in free agency next summer with the room we'd have if only he left, and then his deal expires the following year.  Lee I could take or leave.  He's not bad, but he's nothing special.  Good depth for a contender, but that's not who we are.

TP - exactly my position. For our current team, they provide little value (Bass has more than Lee) and if we are blowing it up, we might as well get rid of all of our questionable contracts.

The thing is, I believe they do provide value to a contender or a wannabe contender as rotation players or spot starters and we should be able to get at least something for them. As a package to another team, they make a lot of sense - hence, the Asik rumors.