Author Topic: Rumor: Rockets/Nets talked Deron Williams for Lin/Asik deal  (Read 2940 times)

Rumor: Rockets/Nets talked Deron Williams for Lin/Asik deal
« on: December 23, 2013, 09:04:28 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
According to a league source, the Rockets had preliminary talks with the Nets last week about Omer Asik and Jeremy Lin. Talks never gained any steam, but the source said the Rockets were doing their due diligence and Williams' name came up. The Nets balked because one of the main reasons Pierce and Garnett agreed to a trade to Brooklyn was to play with Williams, according to the source. Williams, who signed a five-year, $98 million extension in 2012, was playing well upon returning from an ankle injury, and the Nets were looking better.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

Re: Rumor: Rockets/Nets talked Deron Williams for Lin/Asik deal
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 09:08:48 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I actually had this thought myself, and I think it would be very interesting.  I just wonder if Williams would fit well with Harden. 

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 09:42:01 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
I actually had this thought myself, and I think it would be very interesting.  I just wonder if Williams would fit well with Harden.

yeah makes a lot of sense for both teams. If I were the Nets I would hold out for more. maybe a pick or maybe Motiejunas..

In theory, NJ could still build around DWill, JJ, and Lopez, but that package from HOU is pretty good value

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 10:00:24 AM »

Offline Bosstown

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 32
I doubt this gets done. It essentially means that Mikhail Prokhorov made a bad move and if you know anything about rich people they don't like to admit when they're wrong.

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 10:25:35 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
So the Nets are going to trade top 5 pg Deron Williams for two free agents who the Rockets signed outright with mega-backloaded contracts? The Rockets are living in lala land with what they think their 'pieces' are worth. They have Howard, Harden, and Parsons as their main fixtures moving forward, but I am sure the Nets want to give up [arguably] their best player for a couple of very flawed [but productive] and overpaid players...

If the Rockets want Williams, they better be prepared to begin by offering up Parsons (along with Asik and Lin).

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 10:31:58 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
So the Nets are going to trade top 5 pg Deron Williams for two free agents who the Rockets signed outright with mega-backloaded contracts? The Rockets are living in lala land with what they think their 'pieces' are worth. They have Howard, Harden, and Parsons as their main fixtures moving forward, but I am sure the Nets want to give up [arguably] their best player for a couple of very flawed [but productive] and overpaid players...

If the Rockets want Williams, they better be prepared to begin by offering up Parsons (along with Asik and Lin).

This, minus the top 5 PG part, since Williams has a lot more to prove through his play this season before I give him that distinction.

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2013, 10:33:18 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
I doubt this gets done. It essentially means that Mikhail Prokhorov made a bad move and if you know anything about rich people they don't like to admit when they're wrong.

I agree with you about rich people, but I don't think this deal is admitting doing anything wrong. I mean this deal wouldn't be a discussion if Lopez didn't get hurt. They'd have no use for Asik...

If they want to make a run this year they need to do something IMO...

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2013, 11:52:38 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
Houston gets stronger, while the Nets will continue to implode if this happens

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2013, 11:55:26 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
A step back for Brooklyn unless they feel Williams is about to experience more injuries.  If it were to happen, Brooklyn would essentially go from Williams-Lopez to Lin-Asik.  Wow, that hurts (and they still have to pay Lopez).

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2013, 12:19:01 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Horrible trade.

Lin is a solid back up but that's it. Williams is an all star.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2013, 01:11:58 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Houston will come back down to Earth - eventually.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2013, 01:19:10 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I like both players but that's a bad combo.  They both need the ball.