Author Topic: Is Larry Sanders a realistic target?  (Read 7430 times)

Re: Is Larry Sanders a realistic target?
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2013, 02:20:43 AM »

Offline celtic -_- pride

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 60
  • Stuff & Things
should we even go after him ? he had one good year. let him prove himself a little more and become more mature before we commit to him. i personally think we need an established center instead of a young prospect. all after this year though.
[img width= height=]http://s7.postimg.org/jsyw5qrez/banner.jpg[/img]

« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2013, 03:20:31 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Henson a better player than Sanders?
 ::)

I'd be very excited about Sanders coming here, assuming what we send out is equivalent to the apathy that he's received on this board. More and more of the NBA defense is coming down to the ability to protect the rim, and while Sanders isn't Hibbert or Ibaka, he's shown a trend toward that level.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2013, 06:07:58 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/6592/john-henson

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/4265/larry-sanders

Career stats yes, he is if you had read them.

« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2013, 08:54:50 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/6592/john-henson

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/4265/larry-sanders

Career stats yes, he is if you had read them.

The career stats are a bit deceptive. Last year was Sanders breakout year and he averaged a near double-double with almost 3 blocks a game.

In terms of team needs, Sanders is a rim protecting Center that could play the big boys around the league. Don't see Henson being able to fill that role.

The downside on Sanders is his behavior. Haven't been following it close enough to know how that part of the equation is developing. Is he getting his act together? Is he saying the right things? Or is he continuing on a problematic path? I really have no idea. He's been off the radar for a while. Definitely concerning that he got a big head after one good season...

« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2013, 10:39:02 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Sam Amico of Fox Sports published this tidbit today. Seems like maybe I'm on to something...

Perhaps no NBA player is as available as Milwaukee Bucks center Larry Sanders.

The Bucks are beginning to really like their young core of big men. While Sanders is in that group, the Bucks feel he can bring something decent in return, and they don't really want to move anyone else.

Second-year power forward John Henson has played especially well since Sanders went down with a thumb injury suffered in a bar fight in early November.

The Bucks are just fine with taking their lumps and getting a high lottery pick in June. General manager John Hammond and new coach Larry Drew are both high on a rotation that includes Henson, O.J. Mayo, Ersan Ilyasova, Brandon Knight, and Khris Middleton, as well as rookies Giannis Antetokoumnpo, Miroslav Raduljica and Nate Wolters.

Add a college star such as Kansas' Andrew Wiggins, Duke's Jabari Parker or Kentucky's Julius Randle to that mix and you could be on your way.

Anyway, back to Sanders.

The Bucks like him and aren't in a rush to move him. He's 6-foot-11 and a talented shot-blocker. But the consensus among league executives is the Bucks would move Sanders if calls were placed -- especially if a draft pick of some sort was involved.

For now, Sanders remains with the Bucks. He has been cleared for basketball activities, but the team has yet to give a return date or even a rough estimate. And maybe there's a reason for that.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2013, 10:59:51 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
If we're going to try to go for Sanders, we might as well try to get Asik, who may be cheaper, and easier to get.

I'm just a little scared what the Bucks may want. Is it worth giving away our first round pick if its projected top 5-10 for a shot blocking defensive Center who literally can't shoot past 5 feet?

I'm a fan of Larry Sanders though. I live in NOVA, and my friend invited me to see him at VCU, which is actually where I'm thinking of transferring to.

He is a solid player who hustles, eats up the glass, and has an innate way of telling where the ball may drop. It also helps the fact his wing span is long.

In about 27.3 minutes per game played, Sanders basically averaged a double double. 9.8 PPG and 9.5 RPG with 2.8 BPG in under 27.3 MPG is impressive, especially considering he would be averaging 12.9 PPG, 4.3 BPG, 1.6 APG, 1.0 SPG, and 12.5 RPG per 36.

The only thing is... he was playing as a PF. Who knows if taking him out of his comfort zone as a C would make or break his numbers. I think aside from his dumb and completely unprofessional ethics outside of basketball, Sanders has a great feel for the game in my opinion.

I believe if we can acquire him for Olnynk, and someone else with a few first round picks, you'd do it. If you can convince the Bucks that there are a plethora of sleeper big men who can be better, and the Nets may possibly be terrible next year after in 2014-2015, that they might take a flyer on it. A lot of the Bucks fans on realGM aren't really taken on Sanders, and some have even wanted his head for the bar fight club incident. Henson seems to be outperforming his role, especially since hes averaging 20.64 PER.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2013, 11:21:39 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I am a huge Larry Sanders fan, I think he would immediately make our defense elite, the question is who would they want for him and who would I give up for him. I would certainly give up Green, I would certainly give up Humphries and a protected pick. An unprotected pick next year? Not a chance.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19