Author Topic: Trade with Lakers...  (Read 870 times)

Trade with Lakers...
« on: December 21, 2013, 05:13:40 PM »

Offline ptroger83

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 2
Lakers get:

Jordan Crawfod
Courtney Lee

Celtics get:
Steve Nash
Option to swap Laker's 1st round pick in 2014, 2016 or 2018 with Brooklyn pick.

Why the Lakers do it:
They have no backup point guard and Nash is done (from what we used to know of him at least). However, Kobe has made it clear that he wants the team to be competitive and has no intentions of tanking. This trade improves them in 2014, allows salary to come off the books for less than what Nash would be owed (if they don't match Crawford's offers), or allows them to get a nice young guard that they can match the salary for with Crawford. The also don't lose a pick necessarily.

Why the Celtics do it:

They would be selling high on Crawford. They also shed Lee's salary for 2015-2016. Nash could still be a tremendously effective player in spurts if healthy. And finally the main reason...the pick swap could be the difference in like ten draft spots. Either the Nets or the Hawks (probably both) are going to make the playoffs, so I see us getting a 20th or so pick from them. If the Lakers miss the playoffs (strong possibility) then this pick could be worth quite a bit.

Thoughts?

Re: Trade with Lakers...
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2013, 06:56:47 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
The only player I want from the fakers is Xavier Henry - now that kid has potential.  I'm still trying to figure out why Danny didn't sign him in the offseason.  I mean we're rebuilding anyway, so why not take a flier on a former lottery pick who, because of his previous teams, never really got a chance to play?  He's young, cheap, athletic, smart (from what little I've seen of him), a good defender and shooter, and most importantly, he's aggressive (unlike Jeff Green) and frequently attacks the basket.  I think he had 16 free throw attempts the other day. 

I also would've preferred to keep Paul and KG, and let them tutor Brooks (who we should have kept on draft night) and Henry.  Now that would be an interesting core.  I know there would be a logjam, like there is now, at sg and sf, but we should just get the best, and most, talent available and develop it.  This is the same reason I thought we should have taken Tim Hardaway Jr instead of KO - at least Hardaway can play defense and score.  I hope I'm wrong, but Olynyk looks like he's not going to be able to stay in the league, although, in all fairness, he does need a lot more playing time before we can definitively say that (and I hope we won't have to).  His wingspan alone should have deterred us imo.