Author Topic: Biyombo and Gordon FOR Green, Lee, Bogans, and Brooks  (Read 9337 times)

Re: Biyombo and Gordon FOR Green, Lee, Bogans, and Brooks
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2013, 07:04:12 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Biyombo has FAR MORE upside than does Green.  Green is really barely an average player this year with a 15.2 Efficiency Rating.  Bismack has a 12.4 not getting many minutes behind Big Al.  There is NO Big Al on this team for him to NOT get minutes behind.  Biz was tied for 9th in the NBA in blocks last year!!

I just think that many on this blog are drastically overrating Jeff!!!!

Smitty77

That is more funny than you could imagine considering that I have never done drugs and never even consumed alcohol:-))))))))))))))

Smitty77
Smitty... it's not a bad trade idea.  The people dismissing it don't understand it.  Solid idea.  A lot of people here don't think about "big picture" when it comes to trade ideas... and they don't know the names of any players they don't hear about on Celtic games or Sportscenter highlights.

Green/Lee are "meh" players stuck on 3 year contracts.   That's 14 mil a season for players who aren't really necessary for a rebuilding team.  Both of them have "peaked".  Neither is a franchise buildingblock.  Neither has much trade value.

Biyombo has a couple years left on his rookie deal. He's only 21 years old.  He's averaging 13 rebounds and 2 blocks per 36 minutes on 67% shooting.  Solid asset.  Gordon is a 13 mil expiring contract. 

This would be a good deal for Boston.  Doing this deal would give us enough money to go after a max contract next season (unless we extended Bradley and Crawford to big deals).  Charlotte would probably say no.

Thanks LarBrd33!!

« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2013, 07:05:43 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
faster this thread dies, the better....
Sincerely don't understand the hostility towards this trade idea.

Is it some attachment to Jeff Green?  He doesn't even crack the NBA's top 100 players and he's stuck on the book at 9 mil a season for the next 3 years. 

Some bizarre attachment to Courtney Lee?

You'd have a hard enough time trading both of those guys for an expiring contract... let alone get a solid prospect like Biyombo for them.   If any team turned down this trade, it would be the Bobcats.

Lee probably has no value, but I think that Green would generate some mild interest. I'd put him at a top-10 protected 2015 #1.

What has BB done to impress anybody?

As I mentioned earlier, he was tied for 9th in the league in blocks last year. 

« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2013, 07:08:09 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

Is it some attachment to Jeff Green?  He doesn't even crack the NBA's top 100 players and he's stuck on the book at 9 mil a season for the next 3 years. 

You'd have a hard enough time trading both of those guys for an expiring contract... let alone get a solid prospect like Biyombo for them.   If any team turned down this trade, it would be the Bobcats.

Does BB crack the NBA's top 100 players?

The problem with this trade is that right now, with Rajon Rondo out, Jeff Green is our leading scorer and arguably our best player, as well as our best defensive swingman. 

If you added BB to this team, there is no possible way he will be anything close to our best player.  In fact I am not even certain that he would crack the starting lineup above Bass and Sullinger.  He would make a nice bench duo with Humphries though, but do you really give up your best scorer and (arguably) best player for a nice bench player?  No.

Biyombo is a pretty decent player with good upside, but on a team that lacks offense as badly as we do there is no way I'd trade Green out unless I'm getting an equally good offensive player back in return...otherwise we will quickly drop to the WORST offensive team in the entire league.

Green is shooting over 40% from three this year, as are AB and Crawford.  Out of those three guys Green is arguably the biggest threat from three, especially in the clutch.  He has the hight to shoot the three over opposing players, which neither Crawford nor Bradley are gifted with.  Trade Green for Biyombo and we lose one of those shooters, which means defense can collapse on Bradley (who is still a bit inconsistent from three) and Crawford (who often has some of the worst shot selection on earth). 

Another reason why this is bad.  We have Bass, Sully, Humphies who are all natural Power Forwards. Sully and Bass are getting big minutes, so Hump (despite playing very well) isn't getting as many minutes as he probably deserves.  At center we have Fav, Olynyk and again Sully. 

1) If we do this trade, which of our bigs has minutes taken away so that Biyombo can play significant minutes?  Bass - who has been playing so well this year?  Sully, who is up there with Green as arguably the best player on the team?  Hump, who has been great off the bench and already doesn't get enough playing time?  Olynyk, a promising Rookie with good potential who needs minutes to develop?  If I had to take minutes from one  of these guys it would be Bass, but he has been so solid this year and is such a hard worker onboth ends of the floor that it's hard to take him out.

2) If we do this trade, who starts at SF?  Courtney Lee, the 6'5" guy who doesn't have much size even for a SG?  Wallace, the guy who has been woefully woeful all season long?  Brooks or Bogans, neither of whom can even crack the rotation?

Jeff Green is a better player right now than Biyombo, and he's also a player who better suits our needs right now.  If we trade him out then we are trading him for a guy who is not as good and doesn't suit our needs, purely in the name of potential (which he may never realise).

Green right now is so much better than Biyombo it's not even funny...

You really lost me here when you said that Jeff Green is "our best defensive swingman."  Maybe you just don't consider Brandon Bass a swingman.  I don't get that one.  Bass is a FAR SUPERIOR defender to Jeff Green.  That is NOT even close.

Smitty77

« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2013, 07:10:28 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25634
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

The problem with this trade is that right now, with Rajon Rondo out, Jeff Green is our leading scorer and arguably our best player, as well as our best defensive swingman. 

If you added BB to this team, there is no possible way he will be anything close to our best player.  In fact I am not even certain that he would crack the starting lineup above Bass and Sullinger.  He would make a nice bench duo with Humphries though, but do you really give up your best scorer and (arguably) best player for a nice bench player?  No.

Biyombo is a pretty decent player with good upside, but on a team that lacks offense as badly as we do there is no way I'd trade Green out unless I'm getting an equally good offensive player back in return...otherwise we will quickly drop to the WORST offensive team in the entire league.

Green is shooting over 40% from three this year, as are AB and Crawford.  Out of those three guys Green is arguably the biggest threat from three, especially in the clutch.  He has the hight to shoot the three over opposing players, which neither Crawford nor Bradley are gifted with.  Trade Green for Biyombo and we lose one of those shooters, which means defense can collapse on Bradley (who is still a bit inconsistent from three) and Crawford (who often has some of the worst shot selection on earth). 

Another reason why this is bad.  We have Bass, Sully, Humphies who are all natural Power Forwards. Sully and Bass are getting big minutes, so Hump (despite playing very well) isn't getting as many minutes as he probably deserves.  At center we have Fav, Olynyk and again Sully. 

1) If we do this trade, which of our bigs has minutes taken away so that Biyombo can play significant minutes?  Bass - who has been playing so well this year?  Sully, who is up there with Green as arguably the best player on the team?  Hump, who has been great off the bench and already doesn't get enough playing time?  Olynyk, a promising Rookie with good potential who needs minutes to develop?  If I had to take minutes from one  of these guys it would be Bass, but he has been so solid this year and is such a hard worker onboth ends of the floor that it's hard to take him out.

2) If we do this trade, who starts at SF?  Courtney Lee, the 6'5" guy who doesn't have much size even for a SG?  Wallace, the guy who has been woefully woeful all season long?  Brooks or Bogans, neither of whom can even crack the rotation?

Jeff Green is a better player right now than Biyombo, and he's also a player who better suits our needs right now.  If we trade him out then we are trading him for a guy who is not as good and doesn't suit our needs, purely in the name of potential (which he may never realise).

You really lost me here when you said that Jeff Green is "our best defensive swingman."  Maybe you just don't consider Brandon Bass a swingman.  I don't get that one.  Bass is a FAR SUPERIOR defender to Jeff Green.  That is NOT even close.

Smitty77

Brandon Bass isn't really a swingman.  He's a power forward who is occasionally played out of position at center or small forward.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2013, 07:10:34 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
Biyombo has FAR MORE upside than does Green.  Green is really barely an average player this year with a 15.2 Efficiency Rating.  Bismack has a 12.4 not getting many minutes behind Big Al.  There is NO Big Al on this team for him to NOT get minutes behind.  Biz was tied for 9th in the NBA in blocks last year!!

I just think that many on this blog are drastically overrating Jeff!!!!

Smitty77

That is more funny than you could imagine considering that I have never done drugs and never even consumed alcohol:-))))))))))))))

Smitty77
Smitty... it's not a bad trade idea.  The people dismissing it don't understand it.  Solid idea.  A lot of people here don't think about "big picture" when it comes to trade ideas... and they don't know the names of any players they don't hear about on Celtic games or Sportscenter highlights.

Green/Lee are "meh" players stuck on 3 year contracts.   That's 14 mil a season for players who aren't really necessary for a rebuilding team.  Both of them have "peaked".  Neither is a franchise buildingblock.  Neither has much trade value.

Biyombo has a couple years left on his rookie deal. He's only 21 years old.  He's averaging 13 rebounds and 2 blocks per 36 minutes on 67% shooting.  Solid asset.  Gordon is a 13 mil expiring contract. 

This would be a good deal for Boston.  Doing this deal would give us enough money to go after a max contract next season (unless we extended Bradley and Crawford to big deals).  Charlotte would probably say no.

We have Hump ($12M), Bogans ($5M), Crawford ($5M) and Brooks ($3M) all of which are either expired or non-guaranteed for next season.  We already essentially have $25M in expiring contracts.  We can already go after a max contract next season.

Jeff Green is not a #1 option "best player on your team" guy, but he is a very, very good number two or three option as we saw last year with him playing  alongside Pierce. 

Green struggles a bit when the entire defense focusses on him, but when you have another great scorer to draw the attention, Green then is at his best.

If we could sign a max contract player next season with our current expiring contracts, then the ability to add that max contract player such as Greg Monroe to a neucleous of Rondo, Bradley (who is ever improving), Green and Sullinger (also ever improving) then that's one hell of a group of guys to build around with a very nice balance betwee current skill and future potential...plus a good blend between offese and defense.

Biyombo I can see becoming another Tyson Chandler at best.  Chandler is a very good player, but he's really an Asik like player in that his only game is defense / rebounding and he doesn't have much offensive game outside of put-back dunks.  Is he good enough to build a team around?

This is the same issue I see for Biyombo.  I think he could one day become a very good role player on a good team (like Chandler in Dallas, Perk in Boston, Asik in Chicago) one day, but that's about it. 

Green is averaging 16-17 a night on pretty efficient shooting, while also being one of the best defensive small forwards in the league.  Take him away from this team and you are losing a lot more than you realise...a lot of peope are completely blind towards Greens defense, which is much better than most people see.

Do you have any statistics to support this???

Jeff Green is "one of the best defensive small forwards in the league."

Please share that with me.

Thanks,

Smitty77

« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2013, 07:12:23 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
I think this deal is getting killed too much. I probably would want to replace Bogans with someone who has a longer term contract and add a first or replace Green with Wallace, but the main idea of moving some of our excess wing players for Biyombo and salary cap relief in Gordon is not a bad idea.

It seems that people view Green very high on this board. For those of you who are talking Green up, what do you think would be fair value for him if we were to deal him.

One more thing, for those talking about how trading Green would hurt our defense, I want to point out that Wallace is a better defender (imo) than Green.

I believe that Green (both statistically and eye test) is a far superior defender than Wallace at this point in their careers.

Green has shut down (or significantly slowed down) guys like Lebron, Carmello and Durant almost every time Boston has faced those teams since the start of last season.  Elite small forwards typically struggle to score against Green - he has that nice combination of quickness, length and strength that allows him to make life difficult for those guys.  He's quick enough that he's hard to get around, too long to shoot over, too strong to muscle inside.

Wallace doesn't have the length to defend longer  small forwards like Durant, the strength to defend bigger ones like Lebron, or the foot speed to defend quicker guys like Paul George. He's still a solid defender, but he's lost a step and isn't the athlete he once was.  Great hustle guy who always works hard, but no longer a fantastic defender...just solid. 

Also Wallace has zero impact on the offensive end of the floor - if anything I would say he is a significant liability on that end of the court. 

Green not only makes life difficult for opposing swingmen, but he the fact that he is a offensive threat means he forces them to play defense as well.   The fact that he is a two-way player is what makes him more valuable than most people realise.

As somebody else said on one of thse threads, Boston fans seem to be some of the most brutal towards their own players.  I'm pretty sure that there are a lot of teams out there who would be pretty happy to have Green on their team.  His $9M a year is a pretty good deal for a guy who gives you 16-17 points a night, shoots 45% from the field, shoots 40% from three, who gets to the line well and who can defend at a level somewhere between "very good" and "elite".

Look at the type of money guys like Iggy are getting. $9M is solid value for a guy with Green's skill set.

Once again, please share the stats showing Green as an elite SF defender vs. other starting SF's in the league.

Thanks,

Smitty77

« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2013, 07:13:31 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Why would you want Biyombo?  No thanks.

Because Biz reminds me of a very young and unpolished Bill Russell who played quite well for our Celtics!!!  He just turned 21 in late August.

I normally don't comment on trade ideas that I disagree strongly with...  but what about Biyombo reminds you of a young Bill Russell?  Is it the two college championships, or the Olympic gold medal?  The multiple all-star games?  The championships?

Notice I said "young and UNPOLISHED" Roy!!!  There are similarities in their NBA strengths and those are rebounding, defense, and shot blocking.  They are also undersized centers with great length an timing on blocking shots.  They are both 6' 9".  Those are the similarities I was and am referring to Roy.  I believe that there are virtually NO similarities leading up to them playing in the NBA.  I think Biyombo started playing late in life, thus the reason why he is "unpolished!!"  I hope that clears it up for you.

No, man.  Just no.  There's just no comparison there.  That's like saying that Jordan Crawford is an unpolished Oscar Robertson. 

The guy is a good shot-blocker.  Let's leave it at that.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2013, 07:14:35 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

Smitty77

Brandon Bass isn't really a swingman.  He's a power forward who is occasionally played out of position at center or small forward.

OK, but then why does Bass often guard Lebron and other SF's??  He is almost as much a swing man as is Green.  Bass is 6' 8" and Green is 6' 9".

« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2013, 07:17:03 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

Because Biz reminds me of a very young and unpolished Bill Russell who played quite well for our Celtics!!!  He just turned 21 in late August.

I normally don't comment on trade ideas that I disagree strongly with...  but what about Biyombo reminds you of a young Bill Russell?  Is it the two college championships, or the Olympic gold medal?  The multiple all-star games?  The championships?

Notice I said "young and UNPOLISHED" Roy!!!  There are similarities in their NBA strengths and those are rebounding, defense, and shot blocking.  They are also undersized centers with great length an timing on blocking shots.  They are both 6' 9".  Those are the similarities I was and am referring to Roy.  I believe that there are virtually NO similarities leading up to them playing in the NBA.  I think Biyombo started playing late in life, thus the reason why he is "unpolished!!"  I hope that clears it up for you.

No, man.  Just no.  There's just no comparison there.  That's like saying that Jordan Crawford is an unpolished Oscar Robertson. 

I was comparing their strengths and their physical builds and attributes.  Sorry you can't get that Roy.  Of course he is not Russell and never will be.  There will likely NEVER be a player to defensively dominate the league for so long.  I understand that.  I am so sorry to have offended you.

« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2013, 07:26:32 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

I was comparing their strengths and their physical builds and attributes.  Sorry you can't get that Roy.  Of course he is not Russell and never will be.  There will likely NEVER be a player to defensively dominate the league for so long.  I understand that.  I am so sorry to have offended you.

Well, it's just not a particularly apt comparison.  You're talking about one of the most athletic guys of his era, but also a guy with maybe the best defensive instincts of all-time.

It's like the comparison that was made a year or two ago, comparing Fab Melo and a raw Hakeem Olajuwon.  It was a little bit silly.

« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2013, 07:44:49 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

Well, it's just not a particularly apt comparison.  You're talking about one of the most athletic guys of his era, but also a guy with maybe the best defensive instincts of all-time.

It's like the comparison that was made a year or two ago, comparing Fab Melo and a raw Hakeem Olajuwon.  It was a little bit silly.

Only that Fab NEVER put up any meaningful stats in a real NBA game and Bismack was in the TOP TEN in blocks for a full year.  So, you don't see any similarity in them physically Roy?

https://www.google.com/search?q=bill+russell&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=KIe3UraqOsmosQT9vYFQ&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1024&bih=629#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=1Yp6FfWAJJZ_iM%3A%3BtSKQUdXMDz3-gM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fcdn.bleacherreport.net%252Fimages_root%252Fslides%252Fphotos%252F002%252F302%252F676%252FBill-Russell_display_image.jpeg%253F1339130954%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fbleacherreport.com%252Farticles%252F1213544-ranking-lebrons-epic-game-6-with-all-time-best-individual-playoff-performances%3B350%3B291

https://www.google.com/search?q=bill+russell&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=KIe3UraqOsmosQT9vYFQ&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1024&bih=629#q=bismack+biyombo&tbm=isch&facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=aTAM-ma68nnwCM%3A%3BrN1Zu18Jc6_YwM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fmedia.knoxnews.com%252Fmedia%252Fimg%252Fphotos%252F2013%252F03%252F18%252Fmedia_be27af9e20bb4ce1a11e8945345eeef4_t607.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.knoxnews.com%252Fphotos%252F2013%252Fmar%252F18%252F328689%252F%3B607%3B818

« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2013, 07:48:26 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Only that Fab NEVER put up any meaningful stats in a real NBA game and Bismack was in the TOP TEN in blocks for a full year.  So, you don't see any similarity in them physically Roy?

https://www.google.com/search?q=bill+russell&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=KIe3UraqOsmosQT9vYFQ&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1024&bih=629#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=1Yp6FfWAJJZ_iM%3A%3BtSKQUdXMDz3-gM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fcdn.bleacherreport.net%252Fimages_root%252Fslides%252Fphotos%252F002%252F302%252F676%252FBill-Russell_display_image.jpeg%253F1339130954%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fbleacherreport.com%252Farticles%252F1213544-ranking-lebrons-epic-game-6-with-all-time-best-individual-playoff-performances%3B350%3B291

https://www.google.com/search?q=bill+russell&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=KIe3UraqOsmosQT9vYFQ&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1024&bih=629#q=bismack+biyombo&tbm=isch&facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=aTAM-ma68nnwCM%3A%3BrN1Zu18Jc6_YwM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fmedia.knoxnews.com%252Fmedia%252Fimg%252Fphotos%252F2013%252F03%252F18%252Fmedia_be27af9e20bb4ce1a11e8945345eeef4_t607.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.knoxnews.com%252Fphotos%252F2013%252Fmar%252F18%252F328689%252F%3B607%3B818

There are physical similarities between Bill Russell and a lot of players.  Pretty much every 6'9" leaper would have physical similarities.  That doesn't mean there's any basis of comparison in terms of basketball, though.

« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2013, 09:32:53 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

There are physical similarities between Bill Russell and a lot of players.  Pretty much every 6'9" leaper would have physical similarities.  That doesn't mean there's any basis of comparison in terms of basketball, though.

There are some eerie similarities Roy:-)) 

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/6427/bismack-biyombo

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/r/russebi01.html

Bill shot 44% from the floor and 56.1% from the FT line.  Biz is shooting 47.3% from the floor and 49.8% from the line for his career.  In other words, the both stunk from the line:-))))

Smitty77