Author Topic: The "Memphis blows it up and trades with Houston and Boston" idea  (Read 2833 times)

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
One of my hopes coming into the season was that Memphis declines and strongly considered blowing it up and tanking, so that Marc Gasol becomes available.  They are currently 10-15 and while they were 7-6 with Gasol, maybe they have other problems and a month from now a trade like this might make some sense.

To Boston: Marc Gasol, Jeremy Lin
To Houston: Zach Randolph, Marshon Brooks
To Memphis: Omer Asik, Kris Humphries, Kelly Olynyk, Keith Bogans, draft picks

Alternatively, dump Brooks, add Lee, and send filler such as Ronnie Brewer and Isaiah Canaan to Boston.  Maybe send Brooks to Memphis instead.

Houston has a payroll where Lin and Asik are the only players making more than $1.5m and less than $13m, so they are actually really inflexible when it comes to matching salary for trades.  They get out from the ballon payments on Lin and Asik, while acquiring a starting PF.  It leaves them a bit thin at guard if they don't take Lee, but they might ask for some sort of draft consideration to compensate for taking on his contract.

Memphis asks for Sullinger and settles for Olynyk.  They get a young frontcourt rotation of Asik (27), Olynyk (22), Koufos (24), Davis (24), and Leuer (24).

Boston's decision to do this deal depends on how many draft picks Memphis wants.  Daryl Morey was asking for two for Asik.  Gasol is worth more than Asik.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Re: The "Memphis blows it up and trades with Houston and Boston" idea
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 03:29:52 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I certainly like it for the Celtics. Call me nuts, but with Marc Gasol on this team……man that would be huge!! (hope he heals up!)

I could also see Houston getting behind this as I think Randolph would help DH create havoc.

Not totally sure Memphis says yes, but then again if they're looking to blow it up, maybe they do.

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 03:43:20 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
If Memphis blows it up, Marc Gasol is the guy they are going to keep. Not trade away. It's the rest of the team that will be sold for parts. Not Marc Gasol. Marc Gasol is the guy they will rebuild their new-look team around.

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 03:43:40 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I certainly like it for the Celtics. Call me nuts, but with Marc Gasol on this team……man that would be huge!! (hope he heals up!)

I could also see Houston getting behind this as I think Randolph would help DH create havoc.

Not totally sure Memphis says yes, but then again if they're looking to blow it up, maybe they do.

me too, I will pull that trigger in a heart beat

Rondo/Bradley/Green/Sully/Gasol
Lin/Crawford/Wallace/Bass/Fav

that's pretty solid. I say that team is a player or two away from being a solid contender

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 03:44:08 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
If Memphis blows it up, Marc Gasol is the guy they are going to keep. Not trade away. It's the rest of the team that will be sold for parts. Not Marc Gasol. Marc Gasol is the guy they will rebuild their new-look team around.

I think that's probably right.  I'd be very surprised to see them trade Gasol.

Expiring contracts + dumping Randolph's contract + KO + 3 #1s is a decent package, but I just don't think Memphis goes in that direction.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2013, 03:47:20 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Agreed.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2013, 03:47:38 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
very very true
BUT we all want marc in green  8)

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2013, 04:08:01 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
I love Gasol.  I'm becoming a huge Sullinger fan, but I'd swap him in for Olynyk in that deal if landing Gasol was a possibility.  But as others have said, I don't think it is.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2013, 05:01:31 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

Some people think Rondo is too old to be part of a rebuild.  I'm not one of those people, but I think that Memphis VP of Basketball Operations John Hollinger might be and Marc Gasol is a year older than Rondo.

EDIT: I was kind of hoping Memphis would fall apart next season, when Gsol turns 30 because some people get too squeamish about players on the "wrong" side of 30.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2013, 05:03:39 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

me too, I will pull that trigger in a heart beat

What's your breaking point?  Is there such a thing as too many unprotected picks to give up?  If Memphis holds out for Sullinger, do you say no or do you haggle over picks?

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2013, 08:35:12 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I could live with this too

Houston gets: Phil Pressey, Elvis Presley,  Courtney Lee, Vitor Faverani, Ed Davis
Memphis gets: Brandon Bass, Avery Bradley, Omri Casspi, Kelly Olynyk, Marshon Brooks, half a Tommy Point
Celts get: James Harden, Dwight Howard, Omir Asik, Marc Gasol, Zach Randolph,