Author Topic: Washington redskins QB/Coaching debacle  (Read 3054 times)

Washington redskins QB/Coaching debacle
« on: December 13, 2013, 11:19:07 AM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
I know there's a lot of guys on here from around the DC area so I figured I'd post this.  The skins have been a mess for a long time and over the recent weeks  weve all noticed that it isn't fixed like we thought it was.  The radio in the area around here is driving me nuts, and I've reached a point where I'm starting to believe the media and the fans around here are part of the problem.  All last year, even  when the team was performing well certain radio show were killing Shanahan for puttin the franchise QB in danger with all this read option offense.  Now this year, Shanahan goes to a more traditional offense ad wanted to griffin to start operating out of the pocket.  So when the wheels fall off the wagon this year, and all this controversy start, what happens??   There's guys like Donovan McNabb on the radio talking about mike Shanahan is a bad coach bc he doesn't tailor his offense around his players strengths and how Andy Reid always put his players in a position to succeed.

This all is just nuts to me.  Shanahan is far from innocent in all this but from a offensive philosophy play calling perspective, it's a double edged sword.  I feel like the football culture in this area has gone from tradition back in the day to a culture that loves controversy.  I think some of the media around loves it when the team fails bc it makes for better radio.

Donovan McNubb by the way is a moron.  He said his time in Minnesota has nothing to do with Washington.  He said Minnesota didn't have a lot of weapons for him to work with and it wasn't a style of offense he's used to running.  A big offensive line, a hall of fame running back in his prime, and Percy Harvin.  Yeah...no weapons. 

End of rant.  Sorry for the long post.  Had to vent that, no football fans around and I'm not a real call in to a radio show kinda guy.
Greg

Re: Washington redskins QB/Coaching debacle
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 11:45:14 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
You're right about McNabb being a moron.  I'll never forget his tweet asking if Hernandez's nfl career was over.  The guy is pretty clueless.

From afar, it certainly looks & sounds dysfunctional.  Snyder has always been too hands on, IMO and they definitely rushed back RGIII this year.  He didn't HAVE to be ready for the season opener but it sounded like that's what the organization was pushing.  That seems to have been detrimental as he certainly hasn't look 100% all year.

I can understand the reasoning to try & make him a more conventional QB; to prolong his career and their investment.  However, he seems to have struggled a bit in that system & coupled with the fact that he's not 100%, its been a nightmare.  Right now, I'm not sure what's the best system for him to thrive in although I lean towards playing to his strengths despite how unconventional it might be.

Shanahan's as good as gone, though.  That relationship is too toxic and the only thing keeping him right now is his contract.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 11:47:03 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Just a debacle all around, awful owners tend to get these things what can you say. Leaks going out like crazy, etc, etc.

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 11:49:42 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
Just a debacle all around, awful owners tend to get these things what can you say. Leaks going out like crazy, etc, etc.

Yeah, Snyder's had something like 7 coaches in 15 years?  That's horrific.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 11:58:01 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Whenever I hear about a dysfunctional, incompetent big-market organization like the Redskins or Knicks, I think "there but for the grace of God go the Boston Celtics".  Glad to be rooting for a team with their stuff together upstairs, I can't imagine how frustrated fans of those teams must get.

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 12:07:58 PM »

Offline kingtutts

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
Redskin fan, DC native here so I wanna chime in.

1.  Shanahan is right about one thing, Griffin needs a full offseason completely healthy.  He missed everything last year, OTA's, everything.  To take the leap, he has to put in his time.

2.  Robert, like McNabb, talks too much. He needed to be humbled and change his focus from RG111 the brand, to RG111 the quarterback.  Hopefully this will do that.

3.  Snyder sucks, but he can't fire Shanahan because who in their right mind would actually want this job, IMO.

4.  If 3 weeks of showcasing Cousins gets you a low first round or high 2nd round pick, and RG3 gets humbled, this would be the smartest thing Shanahan has done in his 4 years.

Those are my 4 cents.

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2013, 12:15:57 PM »

Offline McHales Pits

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 175
I am certain of one thing...

Zero - literally zero - percent chance that Cousins is traded this offseason for a first round pick
2013 CB Draft Champions*: Minnesota Timberwolves
DKC League: Washington Wizards

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2013, 12:48:41 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
Well I don't think he will, but let's say Cousins rips off three good games, averaging close to 300 yards, a couple touchdowns, and 2 ints over three games, three victories.  What do you do??  Regardless of whether you get a 1st rounder, Cousins would be crazy not to ask for a trade.   You can't I've up on Griffin, you gave up 3 picks for him.  DC would go nuts if Cousins leaves and becomes viable starting QB, and Griffin just never picks up a being a pocket QB gets injured.

Or how about if Shanny leaves, and then trades for Cousins and is successful. 

Greg