Author Topic: The Principles of Rebuilding  (Read 2559 times)

The Principles of Rebuilding
« on: April 27, 2013, 04:02:39 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Rebuilding is never a sure thing.  Some teams spend many years just trying to climb back to being relevant.  Others get lucky and have a young core that can blossom into a contender within a few years.  It's a crap shoot, even with great management and luck.  Still, rebuilding is the reality that faces the Celtics going into next season.  With that in mind, here are some principles that the Celtics should adhere to with the upcoming rebuild process:

#1. Know your goal: Secure the franchise star.

The primary objective of a rebuild should always be to get that #1 guy, the top 5-10 player who can be the focal point of your team on both ends of the floor.  Once you have this player, the rest becomes much simpler because you just need to find the right role players and supporting stars to fit the game plan that best suits your main star.

This player can be acquired through the draft or by trading a number of young pieces.  Free agency should never be relied upon to secure the franchise star.  It almost never works out unless you're a "destination" city, and even then you normally need another star already in place.

Everything else is secondary to this objective; nobody on the roster should be untouchable until this main guy has been secured.

I know that some people will disagree with me, but I do not believe Rondo is this player.  He is an All-Star caliber point guard, and he has big game potential, but he's already 27 and I do not think you can build a team around him and expect to be a contender.

2. Always aim to pick in the top 10 of the draft.

You can never be sure to win the lottery.  Just ask the Celtics in 2007.  Even the worst teams in the league sometimes end up picking 4th or 5th. 

Going into the absolute tailspin that is required to tank for the #1 pick isn't something you should do intentionally.  Rather, the goal should be to compete and improve over the season, but not to spend enough money on established players for your team to be good enough to be out of the top 10.

Staying within the top 10 is wise because even in weak drafts, there are usually good players available in that range.  Just ask the Warriors, who got Stephen Curry at #7 in 2009 -- supposedly a very weak draft.  Ask the Pacers, who got Paul George at #10, or the Pistons, who got Andre Drummond at #10. 

Once you get out of that top 10 range, though, the odds of picking up a potential star get much longer.  Even the best drafting teams in the league struggle to find a lot of value picking at the end of the lottery.  Look at what the Houston Rockets were able to acquire drafting at 14 again and again.

Top 5 picks are probably where most of the "sure thing" talents are in any given draft.  However, you can always package assets and picks in order to move up a few spots in a draft if there's somebody you really like that maybe some other team doesn't value as highly.

3. Maintain a "try to win" environment

This may seem contradictory with #2.  However, it's my belief that one of the major pitfalls of many rebuilding teams is that they get so bogged down in tanking and losing that the organization has no culture of competitiveness or accountability.

In my mind, when you are rebuilding you should keep your roster competitive.  By that I mean that there's healthy competition for every spot in the rotation, and there's a good mix of veterans with the young players so that guys just coming into the league have an example of what a professional in this league looks like.

When I say veterans, I mean players like Keyon Dooling and Mickael Pietrus.  Guys who have been around in this league and have a good attitude whether the team is winning or losing.  Obviously selfish, immature, or unstable players like Jermaine O'Neal or Delonte West should be avoided.

The ideal is that your team fights hard, keeps most games relatively close, and improves over the course of the season, but ultimately loses a lot of games because they just don't have the established star talent yet. 

This requires a coach who can keep a team motivated and focused on learning and improving fundamental skills throughout the season regardless of how much success the team has.

4. Buy low, sell high

Rebuilding is kind of like flipping a house. 

You want to strip away the older parts that don't have much future value and get down to the bare, essential materials that you have to work with.  Then you start investing into that foundation to improve it and hopefully sell it for a profit.  Or, maybe you keep it and you have a great house to live in.

Either way, the point is that rebuilding a team requires you to get the maximum return on your investment.  You want to get out more than you put in.  Badly managed teams squander draft picks, trade away prospects before they've fully developed, and overpay to keep young role players.

The Celtics should look to acquire players through trade or free agency who are held in low regard, for whatever reason, and then develop them.  As a rebuilding team you have the luxury of not needing to win games, so you can focus instead of player development.  This allows you to invest money and playing time in these sorts of players. 

These don't always have to be young players.  It could be older players who have talent and ability but didn't do so great at their last destination.  Give them a chance to play a big role on a team lacking veteran leaders and they could prove themselves enough to attract the attention of a contender.  Then you can trade them trade them for some future value.

5. Protect financial flexibility at all costs

Until that franchise star is secured, the team should not be giving out contracts longer than 2-3 years.  The roster should be comprised of young players on rookie deals or bargain basement "make-good" deals, and then veterans on 1 year deals, possibly with second years guaranteed.  That ensures that there's no deadweight on the roster, nobody who can't be moved or used to sweeten a deal or make salaries work as necessary.

Contracts like those given to Courtney Lee, Brandon Bass, and Jason Terry last summer are luxuries that only a team expecting to win 50+ games and go deep in the playoffs can afford to make.

This is what I've come up with so far.  I'd be interested to hear what other people think are the most important rules and guiding principles for the Celtics heading into the rebuild.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 04:18:28 PM by PhoSita »
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Re: The Principles of Rebuilding
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 04:07:05 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
In my opinion, the toughest part is maintaining a "win"-attitude while still getting top-10 draft picks. You heard what Kyrie said... if you get a franchise player, you're gonna need to start winning or he'll leave.

Also, you need a good coach who can properly develop the young players, or else all your good draft picks will be wasted.

I also think it's great to take risks in the draft, even in the second-round. It only comes around once a year, and if you miss out you've wasted your chance for a year. And don't trade your picks; stash 'em up.

Finally, somehow keep the fans happy.... I don't want to root for another team.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 04:07:29 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
It's top five picks that matter to me. If you are truly rebuilding, you need to be aiming for top five picks. There is an expectation of All-Star caliber talents in those picks. You get 3-4 top five picks and you have a good shot at building a strong talent base to build off of. 

Top ten picks is too low. To be able to get multiple stars with multiple top ten picks. That is very difficult to do. Extremely difficult. Odds are too low.

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 04:12:57 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Can't say I disagree with these principles.  I do, however, disagree with you on where we are in the process, and how to best go about achieving these objectives, as it pertains to our current roster.

We already have objective #1.

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2013, 04:13:49 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
It's top five picks that matter to me. If you are truly rebuilding, you need to be aiming for top five picks. There is an expectation of All-Star caliber talents in those picks. You get 3-4 top five picks and you have a good shot at building a strong talent base to build off of. 

Top ten picks is too low. To be able to get multiple stars with multiple top ten picks. That is very difficult to do. Extremely difficult. Odds are too low.

I tend to agree with you. 

I just think that actively seeking to be one of the very worst teams in the league is too potentially damaging to your team culture.  Especially now that you have teams like the Bobcats and Magic being run by GMs who are trying to follow the "OKC plan" and just outright tank for most of the season until they get a superstar at the top of the draft. 

If you want to compete with those guys you have to make intentionally bad trades (see: Magic trading Dwight, Ryan Anderson) and you won't be able to get a decent coach because nobody wants to be the captain of the Titanic.

My feeling is that if you aim to be in the bottom 10 every season, you'll inevitably end up picking in the top 5 at times whether it's luck of the draw in the lottery or because you have a lot of injury issues, or your team just gets stuck in a rut and goes on a 15 game losing streak.

Keep in mind also that you don't need to earn a top 5 pick in order to get one.

For example, the Celtics could be bad enough to be picking between 7 and 10 next season, and then package Rondo and their pick to move up a few spots into the top 5.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 02:10:46 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
This is an old topic, but I was thinking about it in light of the team's better-than-expected start and the Eastern Conference being so downright awful.

I think one of the principles I should have added was "Never overreact to small samples.  Stay the course and trust the process."

It will be interesting to see what moves Ainge makes over the next few months.  If he thinks at all the way I'd like him to, he'll look to sell high on the overachievers currently on the team and target young players on other teams who are undervalued, underutilized, or who are likely to be let go due to poor fit.

One thing I'm sure of is that Ainge picked the right coach for the job.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2013, 04:13:28 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
This is an old topic, but I was thinking about it in light of the team's better-than-expected start and the Eastern Conference being so downright awful.

I think one of the principles I should have added was "Never overreact to small samples.  Stay the course and trust the process."

It will be interesting to see what moves Ainge makes over the next few months.  If he thinks at all the way I'd like him to, he'll look to sell high on the overachievers currently on the team and target young players on other teams who are undervalued, underutilized, or who are likely to be let go due to poor fit.

One thing I'm sure of is that Ainge picked the right coach for the job.
I think you're completely right, Pho.  It's a little alarming that we're currently projected to pick 19th and 20th, but the team is doing pretty much everything right.  Acquiring draft picks, developing young talent, keeping the winning culture alive... it's perfect so far.    Now it will be interesting to see what we do with our veteran talent.  Buying low on Crawford was classic Ainge.  It will be interesting to see what Ainge does with him and the other overachieving veterans (Bass/Lee).  Also, when you hear rumors about Ainge having interest in Rivers... it's more classic Ainge.  Buying low.

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2013, 05:57:40 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
This is what I've come up with so far.  I'd be interested to hear what other people think are the most important rules and guiding principles for the Celtics heading into the rebuild.

It's a great well thought out post.   It what should happen certainly but how many times have you rebuilt a team?

Luck is a very important factor in any draft.   You can't develop it or use trinkets to get it.   But a rebuilding team has to be willing to take calculated gambles.

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2013, 06:05:46 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

It's a great well thought out post.   It what should happen certainly but how many times have you rebuilt a team?

Luck is a very important factor in any draft.   You can't develop it or use trinkets to get it.   But a rebuilding team has to be willing to take calculated gambles.

Heheh, obviously I've never rebuilt a team, except I guess in NBA 2K  :P.

Still, one doesn't have to be President to have a sense of history and what good Presidents do and don't do, right?

Similar concept applies here.
- Mark Twain