Author Topic: I will be in attendance tonight and giving Doc Rivers a standing ovation.  (Read 10541 times)

Re: I will be in attendance tonight and giving Doc Rivers a standing ovation.
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2013, 11:24:09 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
TP to OP.  He deserves a standing O for sure.

Anything else to me (booing for example) seems like
holding someone to a standard of perfection
that none of us really meet....or meet rarely.

« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2013, 11:28:51 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
wow some bitter people here.

I honestly never liked Doc all that much because there's always been a lot of "saying one thing/ doing another thing" since he'd been here.

however he did endure a lot of bad times here, and when he and Pierce had that moment(of finally the waiting paid off) in the 4th qrtr on the sideline of the championship winning game. a lot of the animosity or whatever I had towards Doc kinda went out the door. for this reason alone I would cheer his introduction and boo 'em during the game.

I knew he wasn't going to be around forever and I personally didn't want to see him coach a rebuilding team again. I knew the break up wasn't going to be nice they never are.

But people acting like Doc owes them something is a bit silly.

« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2013, 11:51:06 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Its quite possible that without Doc, 2008 does not happen.It took a special type of man to gather KG, Ray, and Pierce together, get them to sacrifice for the team goal first and put together an environment of winning that allowed the youth to blend in with the experience and create the greatest one year turnaround in the history of the NBA while putting together one of the greatest defenses in NBA history.

I am not sure that at that time, any other coach would have gotten what he got out of the group of players he did. The Duck Boat tour, unbuntu, the empty banner space in Waltham, the development of Rondo, Perk, Davis and Powe and trusting in huge roles for those players.

What Doc did in 2008 was pretty special and one of a kind. Show some respect and give the man his props when he is in town tonight people.

« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2013, 11:51:36 AM »

Offline kingtutts

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
Doc deserves a standing ovation every time he enters the garden.  He was just integral as Danny, Paul, and KG in restoring this franchise to greatness and prominence.  Anyone who thinks otherwise obviously doesn't remember the Kevin Gamble/Dino Radja/Alaa Abdelnaby years.

« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2013, 12:03:28 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
If I was back, I'd give him a standing ovation.  He was part of a very important Celtics team that won a championship.  The best team the organization has had since the Bird era. 

The off court stuff is superflous to me.  Picking on that stuff is just petty, IMO.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2013, 12:28:41 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
After seeing how Rivers coached young players pre-Garnett/Allen/Thibodeau....

I'd give him a standing ovation just for leaving.

« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2013, 01:02:50 PM »

Offline letsgoblue86

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 279
If I was at the game I would cheer him when they honor him (which I hope they are doing), and then boo him the rest of the night.

« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2013, 01:22:54 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
Its also funny to think in 2007 every one wanted Doc out the door, no one was showing up to games, bailing on the team and then Doc bails and people jump on him.

« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2013, 01:32:32 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
I'm not going to boo him, I may or may not applaud.  I just don't care.  He's not a celtic anymore and that's really all i care about right now.  We cheered for him while he was here, he made millions of dollars while he was here out of all of us fans' pockets, and I don't feel that I owe him any more "respect" than that.

But that's my general attitude towards sports lately - an intentional emotional detachment.  I don't understand why people are so emotionally invested in these players/coaches who have no emotional investment at all in their fan base.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2013, 05:03:38 PM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
that championship was won in spite of him. Now go ahead and give him that standing O, but when you do make sure you know what it is for -- that clipper #1.
He coached rings around the great Zen Master that year.
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2013, 05:05:24 PM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Rivers didn't want to be a coach on a rebuilding team, so I support his decision..
Did you support Allen's decision to leave?
I did and still do. Free agents can do whatever they want.
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2013, 05:55:26 PM »

Offline Adelaide Celt

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 206
My view:

Standing ovation- Maybe a little over the top but I have no doubt that this is what Doc will get. He's a big part of some very happy times with this team.

Polite applause- This is what I'd probably do myself. A 'sitting ovation' :)

Booing/heckling- No need for that.
NO AMOUNT OF PSYCHOLOGICAL MANIPULATION, HORMONAL OR SURGICAL MUTILATION WILL EVER CHANGE A PERSON'S GENDER

« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2013, 05:58:45 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I have no doubt there will be some boos. The TD Garden crowd is not noted for it's tact.

Nor, really, is any other "great crowd" in the NBA. As it should be.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2013, 06:16:31 PM »

Offline dmopower

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 46
Ill be clapping now that hes coaching somewhere else.  And thankful that he opened the door for our new coach. I could only be happier for him had he left a few years ago so we could have gotten Tom T.  There might have been one more ring in there with Tom at the helm.

Anyway  Thanks Doc!!  Clap.......Clap.
blind optimist or GENIUS

« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2013, 06:23:34 PM »

Online SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1997
Doc actually expects some boos.  Per ESPN:

Many fans will likely stand and cheer Rivers for what he meant to the franchise, but there are those who say he walked out on the team with three years remaining on his contract.

"Well, I'm sure there will be some [booing], because they were booing when I coached," Rivers said, before shifting his tone. "I didn't do anything wrong. I decided to leave at some point. It should be all good. I had a good, wonderful time here. I have nothing but good things to say. That's for everyone else to expect [if I will be cheered or booed], all that other negative stuff. I have nothing but positive stuff for here."

Of course some fans will be bitter about his "quitting" on the team, but that's what I'd expect from a passionate fan base.  But the cheers will drown out the boos.