Author Topic: I will be in attendance tonight and giving Doc Rivers a standing ovation.  (Read 10543 times)

Re: I will be in attendance tonight and giving Doc Rivers a standing ovation.
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2013, 08:38:42 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
Him and Ray both deserve one. Did ray get one?

It takes one standing ovation and then back to booing. Both of them bailing on the franchise still doesn't overshadow what they did for the team for my wonderful memories and for what they did and continue to do for our community.

Side note- do we get clips pick next year right?

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2013, 08:43:47 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Here is what I was referencing

http://tracking.si.com/2013/12/10/clippers-doc-rivers-admits-he-walked-away-from-celtics/?eref=sihp

“I did at the end of the day,” Rivers admitted. “You make choices in your life, it happens… It was a very difficult decision for me to make; whether to walk away and sit a couple of years, which was another way I was leaning, or if the right job presented itself to walk away and do that.

“I was afforded a great opportunity here with the Clippers. This is the first time I’ve been able to coach a team and run a team,” Rivers continued. “This may work, it may not work. It’s a far bigger gamble for me than anyone else. So I thought it was the right time to take it.”

In other words, no matter what Doc was walking away this year.  He quit on the team less than a year after he crucified Ray Allen for leaving for a better opportunity.  After all this talk about loyalty and how much the team and city meant to him.  With about as much power as a coach can have with any organization.  He quit.  Plain and simple.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2013, 08:45:36 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Rivers didn't want to be a coach on a rebuilding team, so I support his decision..

This has been hashed out in the past, but even if you think Rivers was right to leave for a better situation, you have to at least acknowledge that he was false with the fans of the franchise.  A year ago he signed an extension and basically said he wanted to spend the rest of his career coaching here. 

A year later he wants out, as if he couldn't have foreseen the team rebuilding?  He and Danny may have had an agreement, but Rivers was intentionally disingenuous about his commitment to the team.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2013, 09:08:02 AM »

Offline sed522002

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 221
At first I was in the mind of booing Doc at the beginning of the year, but I like Brad for the rebuilding situation so now I'm indifferent...all I really want is for the C's to beat the crap out the Clips.

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2013, 09:08:54 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
I'm not one to be disrespectful, but BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2013, 09:14:43 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
How does one clap in order to communicate, "Thank you for the championship, now keep your thoughts about the team to yourself and stop acting like you didn't bail on the franchise and players to whom you claimed to be so loyal"?

This about where I'm at.   He stuck it out till he got a great team of vets handed to him.  .......thanks DA .....

He could have not buggered up the job of leaving much worse than he did.   Instead of wishey washey  messed up deal he put the team though .    He could have been more decisive and direct ,,in public and just announce he was retiring .   Signing a deal and worming his way out was just not a very dignified way for somebody who is supposed to be held in high esteem to leave IMO.

Thanks for the effort here ......but I would NEVER trust him again .........he lost my trust and faith in him as a person of his word.......he won't be making Angie's List. For coaching jobs.

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2013, 09:26:22 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Rivers didn't want to be a coach on a rebuilding team, so I support his decision..

This has been hashed out in the past, but even if you think Rivers was right to leave for a better situation, you have to at least acknowledge that he was false with the fans of the franchise.  A year ago he signed an extension and basically said he wanted to spend the rest of his career coaching here. 

A year later he wants out, as if he couldn't have foreseen the team rebuilding?  He and Danny may have had an agreement, but Rivers was intentionally disingenuous about his commitment to the team.

He probably meant it at the time. The guy's basically been year to year since 2010.

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2013, 09:29:20 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I don't blame Doc for leaving, and I don't blame Danny for letting him go.  We've got a better fitting coach for our young team, and a #1 pick.

I can't imagine anybody booing Doc.  He deserves applause, for sure.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2013, 09:33:12 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
I don't blame Doc for leaving, and I don't blame Danny for letting him go.  We've got a better fitting coach for our young team, and a #1 pick.

Is it okay for me to be happy that we have Brad Stevens and the #1 pick, while also disapproving of the way that Doc chose to handle his departure, and the way he's acted in the media since then?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2013, 09:34:25 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

He probably meant it at the time. The guy's basically been year to year since 2010.

So he's been year-to-year, meaning uncertain of what he's going to do, yet he was being totally sincere when he said he planned to stick around long term and saw himself as a one-franchise guy like Popovich?  That doesn't make sense to me.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2013, 09:36:07 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Is it okay for me to be happy that we have Brad Stevens and the #1 pick, while also disapproving of the way that Doc chose to handle his departure, and the way he's acted in the media since then?

I absolutely understand that point of view.  At the same time, I think that probably 90% of the way athletes, coaches, and GMs portray themselves in the media is PR.  I take very little of what people say at face value.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2013, 09:47:55 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

So he's been year-to-year, meaning uncertain of what he's going to do, yet he was being totally sincere when he said he planned to stick around long term and saw himself as a one-franchise guy like Popovich?  That doesn't make sense to me.

He was probably being totally sincere at the time. KG said multiple times that Doc was the only coach he'd play for. Yet there he is in Brooklyn. Do you think he was being dishonest when he made that claim? I don't.

« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2013, 09:53:59 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

He was probably being totally sincere at the time. KG said multiple times that Doc was the only coach he'd play for. Yet there he is in Brooklyn. Do you think he was being dishonest when he made that claim? I don't.

I see your point, though I think the situation there is very different.  Doc decided independently that he wanted to move on, and then made it known so that he could get traded to a better situation.  KG, on the other hand, probably would have retired if Pierce hadn't begged him to join him in Brooklyn.  I imagine it's a decision that KG still struggles with.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2013, 10:37:11 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
he did not give us a championship, the players did. Now go ahead and give him that standing O.

By that logic, Stevens deserves none of the credit for this  year's success.

Agreed. There's a reasonable expiration date on everything that people say, athletes or not.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2013, 11:08:38 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
I think Doc def quit on the team somewhat but I don't think Danny and co were devastated to see him go. I doubt they view it as him quitting. Once they found out he may be interested in coaching elsewhere they may have re thought what would be best for our franchise as well.

Danny would have easily welcomed him back with open arms but I'm assuming he didn't think it was sucha bad idea himself.

Who knows if Danny was looking to the future a bit anyway thinking if Doc is really going to be cut out for this rebuild and the long haul. As ahas been mentioned Doc has been so wishy washy the past few years you think Danny wanted to risk doc just retiring next year tospend time with fafamily then just have to pick up the pieces?

Again the way Doc handled it was poor. He did quit on the team like Ray Allen. But at the end of the day he did a lot for us, the team and the city and even though what he did was selfish its knd of hard to blame the guy for choosimg how he wants to live.

And its not like he left us mid year or really screwed up anything we had going.  We are in complete rebuild mode