at Boston Celtics (10-12) at Brooklyn Nets (6-14)
Tuesday, December 10, 2013
7:30 PM ET
Regular Season Game #23, Road Game #13
TV: CSNNE, YES, NBA-LP 758(DTV), 754/755(xfinity)
Radio: WZLX 100.7, WFAN
Probable Starting LineupsPoint Guard
Jordan Crawford vs Shaun Livingston
Avery Bradley vs Joe JohnsonSmall Forward
Jeff Green vs Alan AndersonPower Forward
Brandon Bass vs Kevin Garnett
Jared Sullinger vs Brook LopezCeltics Reserves
Rajon Rondo (ACL) out
Kelly Olynyk (ankle) game time decisionNets Reserves
Tornike Shengelia Injuries
Jason Terry (knee) questionable
Andre Kirilenko (back) out
Deron Williams (ankle) probable
Paul Pierce (hand) probable Game Notes
Players on both sides are saying that this is just another game, but it's far from it. For one thing, it's a division rivalry. For another, it is the first of 4 meetings between two teams that made a blockbuster trade this summer. Players on both sides would love to beat the team that traded them this summer to show that their former teams should have kept them.
The starting lineup in the Nets notes has Shaun Livingston starting at the point and Alan Anderson playing at small forward. However, there have been reports that both Paul Pierce and Deron Williams are expected to return from injury in this game. Jason Kidd may bring them off the bench or put them right back in the starting lineup.
Paul Pierce broke a bone in his hand just 10 days ago and was expected to miss this game, but he was back at practice on Monday and said he expects to play in this one. His early return shouldn't come as any surprise to Celtics fans who have seen the former Celtic play through injuries over and over throughout the years.
Deron Williams has missed the whole season so far with an ankle injury. He has also been practicing and expects to make his return in this game. On the Celtics side, Kelly Olynyk has been sidelined with a sprained ankle since November 23 and practiced on Monday for the first time since the injury. He is listed as a game time decision.
The Celtics have won their last 3 games, while the Nets are looking for their second straight victory. The Celtics are 5-7 on the road and 6-4 in their last 10 games while the Nets are just 2-6 at home and 3-7 in their last 10.
The Nets last played on Saturday when they were able to get past the last place Bucks 90-82. The Celtics played a matinee game on Sunday, annihilating the Knicks by 41 points. The Celtics also are playing in the first of back to back games with the Clippers waiting in the wings for a Wednesday game. Whether they admit it or not, this game is special.
Jared Sullinger vs Brook Lopez
Brook Lopez is one of the top centers in the league and is going to be a tough cover for Jared Sullinger. Lopez is averaging 20.6 points, 6.2 rebounds, and 2.2 blocks per game.
Brandon Bass vs Kevin Garnett
Brandon Bass learned a lot while playing along side Kevin Garnett and now the student must stop the master. This should be a good matchup. Keys to the GameDefense
- The Celtics have been winning with defense and they need to continue to play tough team and individual defense in order to win this game.
- The Celtics play best when they set the pace and run on every possession. They can get easy shots when they beat the defenses down the court.
- The Celtics have been doing a good job of crashing the boards as a team and they need to continue to do so. When they rebound as a team, including the guards, it gives them a much better chance of winning. Move the Ball
- The Celtics play best when they move the ball and find the open man. When they dribble too much and stall the ball movement, they struggle. Go to the Hoop
- The Celtics have been shooting the ball well, but they shouldn't fall too much in love with the long jumpers. When they take the ball inside, good things happen. They either get an easy basket, draw a foul or have an open man to pass out to. X-Factors
Focus and Emotions
Emotions will be running high on both sides and the team that can keep their focus and control their emotions the best will more than likely get the win.