Author Topic: Rockets seek deal for Omer Asik  (Read 50846 times)

Re: Rockets seek deal for Omer Asik
« Reply #60 on: December 07, 2013, 10:16:46 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Just a thought but has Danny and Brad been allowing Sully to take and develop that 3 point shot to help spacing in case Sully has to switch over to the PF position because he has plans to trade for a large inside playing, lane clogging, defensive anchor, rebounding player to put at center?

« Reply #61 on: December 07, 2013, 10:29:15 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Just a thought but has Danny and Brad been allowing Sully to take and develop that 3 point shot to help spacing in case Sully has to switch over to the PF position because he has plans to trade for a large inside playing, lane clogging, defensive anchor, rebounding player to put at center?

I think it's because they'd rather their bigs (and any player) take 3-pointers than long 2's.  Sully had a good enough jumper to make it worth the effort to extend his range.  If it means it creates better floor-spacing if a 7-footer comes along, all the better, but even if he's the 5, it creates a better threat on the pick-and-pop with Rondo.

« Reply #62 on: December 07, 2013, 10:32:42 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568

I think Sully ends up at PF anyways.

During an interview, his dad was explaining that Sully carrying that extra weight so he could play center, but once he slid back over to the PF spot (implying it was inevitable) that he would trim down.

I think as soon as Danny gets a starting center, Sully is permanently moved over to the PF.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #63 on: December 07, 2013, 10:50:46 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

During an interview, his dad was explaining that Sully carrying that extra weight so he could play center, but once he slid back over to the PF spot (implying it was inevitable) that he would trim down.

I think as soon as Danny gets a starting center, Sully is permanently moved over to the PF.
Me too which would make developing that outside shot important(and it seems a like it has a rather natural flow and form to it). Sully can not be just an inside down low PF. The C's philosophy has been to have a lane clogging center of defense those guys usually plays inside on offense.

Therefore, I could see the C's making a run for Asik. and go for a quick turnaround

Rondo - 100% healthy
Bradley - coming into his own as a shooter and one of the league top perimeter defenders
Green - being, well, Jeff Green
Sully - the teams best two way player
Asik - defensive anchor and rebounding god

KO
Crawford
Wallace
A 15th pick in the 2014 draft
A 16th-18th pick in the 2014 draft
Faverani
Pressey

That would be your 2015 Celtics....that's an impressive TEAM. And young with more lottery picks coming this way.I could also see packaging all of the 2015 picks and prospects like faverani and KO for a star player.

« Reply #64 on: December 07, 2013, 11:10:00 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

Me too which would make developing that outside shot important(and it seems a like it has a rather natural flow and form to it). Sully can not be just an inside down low PF. The C's philosophy has been to have a lane clogging center of defense those guys usually plays inside on offense.

Therefore, I could see the C's making a run for Asik. and go for a quick turnaround

Rondo - 100% healthy
Bradley - coming into his own as a shooter and one of the league top perimeter defenders
Green - being, well, Jeff Green
Sully - the teams best two way player
Asik - defensive anchor and rebounding god

KO
Crawford
Wallace
A 15th pick in the 2014 draft
A 16th-18th pick in the 2014 draft
Faverani
Pressey

That would be your 2015 Celtics....that's an impressive TEAM. And young with more lottery picks coming this way.I could also see packaging all of the 2015 picks and prospects like faverani and KO for a star player.
That team would also have cap space and a 10 MM TPE
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #65 on: December 07, 2013, 11:11:20 AM »

Offline beklog

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 64
^^ that looks great!!, unfortunately Rockets are targetting picks for Asik... the only way they'll be interested to deal with us is that if we can give up our 2014 picks to them
Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light… I just take pictures…

« Reply #66 on: December 07, 2013, 11:16:41 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
^^ that looks great!!, unfortunately Rockets are targetting picks for Asik... the only way they'll be interested to deal with us is that if we can give up our 2014 picks to them
I think Morey knows quite well he isn't getting 2014 picks for Asik. 2015 or 2016, sure. But the only team willing to give Morey a 2014 pick for Asik will be the Heat.

« Reply #67 on: December 07, 2013, 11:19:32 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Teams don't always get what they originally claim they want when trades go down. How many teams have picks far enough down the lottery that they'll still be there if they add Asik to their teams, but would be willing to trade such a pick for Asik?

« Reply #68 on: December 07, 2013, 11:30:06 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
I think Morey knows quite well he isn't getting 2014 picks for Asik. 2015 or 2016, sure. But the only team willing to give Morey a 2014 pick for Asik will be the Heat.

Yeah I'd be absolutely floored to see a team picking in the top-20 this year give it up for Asik.

I've been on the fence about giving up a first for Asik, but I could talk myself into giving up the LAC 15 first along with Bass/Lee.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #69 on: December 07, 2013, 11:32:00 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I wanted Asik before but listening to the wisdom of Bill Simmons, I agree, I don't want him on my team.

The guy quit on his team for not getting playing time. If he quits then, he'll quit some more.

So from now on, NO on Asik.

It's worth considering, but I think that's a bit of a simplistic view. He signed a 3 year deal with Houston to be their starting center, outperformed all expectations, and after 1 year was promptly replaced with a free agent. He has a pretty good reason to be disgruntled.

Yeah.

Also, I'm not sure about this "quit on his team narrative" that's now picking up steam. McHale DNP-CDed Asik after the trade request; Asik didn't say he wouldn't suit up.

Well, he did not technically quit. But this kind of attitude worries me.

Per Marc Stein of ESPN.com (via ProBasketballTalk)

The center was scratched from Saturday’s home game against Denver essentially because he’s so unhappy with his new role that he’s in no state to play. Word is Asik has been asking the Rockets pretty much once a week, since Dwight Howard‘s arrival in July, to please trade him elsewhere. And now losing his starting spot, on top of what was already a reduced role, has clearly knocked the 27-year-old back.

I understand being very disgruntled, but be a professional. This "no state to play"? I mean c'mon...

I like the guy, heck, I love him. I love that he can control the boards and play excellent D, I compare him to Andrew Bogut minus the passing. But if he can be disengaged by these kind of things, what else will cause him to be disengaged in the future? I worry that if he gets involved in trade rumors, or get 28 minutes of playing time instead of 30 that he might do this again.

In no state to play, please. I understand being upset about losing the starting spot, but as a pro, being paid that much money, you show up for games no matter what. I love his game but I did not like this attitude at all.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #70 on: December 07, 2013, 01:19:00 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Trade em Wallace.

« Reply #71 on: December 07, 2013, 02:12:37 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
I wonder if Ron Adams fimiliarity with Omer Asik will have any sway with a potential deal?

Adams coached Asik in Chicago for a few years and could likely build a tremendous defense around Asik.

I'm not sure, extremely curious as to where he ends up.
*CB Miami Heat*

« Reply #72 on: December 07, 2013, 03:18:02 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

Too bad Portland doesn't have theirs -- they'd also make sense.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #73 on: December 07, 2013, 04:08:52 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Trade em Wallace.

Not that they'd go for it, but I wonder if you could offer them something like Wallace, the Clippers 1st rounder and either the right to swap their pick this year with the worst of our two picks or a future first.

« Reply #74 on: December 07, 2013, 04:36:31 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
A big man like Asik as our missing piece.

Go ahead and trade picks, even 2014 if top-10 protected.  Trade both of them in 2014 is fine.  We have young guys already, and could end the tank talk.