Author Topic: Rockets seek deal for Omer Asik  (Read 50876 times)

Re: Rockets seek deal for Omer Asik
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2013, 03:41:26 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
Why is everybody so high on Asik anyways. I don't want us to trade any 2014 first rounders away, not any first rounders at all to be honest. I think Asik is a great C but a one way player which is a liability on offense.

I would try Bass / Lee and a 2nd round pick. I would do that or any deal with Wallace / Humphries. Don't trade away Rondo, Green, Bradley, Sullinger, Olynyk
pretty much he does what perkins does hes just a little bigger and can rebound better still a role player no 1st rounders for him

He is an elite rebounder and was 2nd in rbs per 48 min last year in the whole league. That on top of being an excellent defensive center makes him more them worth a 1st round pick.

It just depends if DA is looking for a quick rebuild around rondo or a longer term rebuild.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2013, 03:43:57 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
If they want a lottery pick, offer them Olynyk straight up for Asik. We can send back a trade exception for $8.4M. If they like Bass, swap him for Lin and see how he does as a 6th man.

Rondo / Crawford
Bradley / Lin
Green / Lee
Sullinger / Humphries
Asik / Faverani

It's worth noting that analytics guys seem to love Olynyk. Houston is all about analytics.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 03:52:51 PM by byennie »

« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2013, 04:02:01 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
Straight swap with Jeff Green. Makes us worse this year and fills a long term hole.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2013, 04:13:47 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
What about Hump, Faverani and the lower of our 2 2014 picks for Asik and minimum salary filler?

Houston gets a nice sized expiring contract (at a position of need) to dangle again at the deadline along with a low-price back-up center/prospect and a likely mid first rounder.  They also get out of Asik's moneybomb year for the price of taking on an extra $4 mil this year.

The Celtics get a rare starting caliber defensive 5 - Perk with better rebounding - plus an extra $4 mil of wiggle room under the tax for greater trade flexibility.

Win win.

2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2013, 04:23:35 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
I must admit to having been interested in Asik but my interest has dimmed some as this year has gone along.  If a draft pick is what Houston wants, then the Celtics are a good match because that is something they have plenty of.

I could see offering the Clipper's pick next year and maybe Wallace to match salaries.  If they are willing to take back Wallace (who might even help them) maybe even NJ/ATL pick this year.  I would not give Green straight up but would consider Bass and Lee with no pick or at best a second rounder.

I feel there is lots of common ground for a trade here.  It will come down to whether someone is willing to overpay.  Contenders won't have better picks to offer though and teams that aren't contenders will have less interest.  I think the Celtics will be very much in the mix on this.

« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2013, 04:24:54 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Straight swap with Jeff Green. Makes us worse this year and fills a long term hole.

I'd do that, I think Houston would pass though. They already have Chandler Parsons and Terrence Williams.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2013, 04:25:43 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
What about Hump, Faverani and the lower of our 2 2014 picks for Asik and minimum salary filler?

Houston gets a nice sized expiring contract (at a position of need) to dangle again at the deadline along with a low-price back-up center/prospect and a likely mid first rounder.  They also get out of Asik's moneybomb year for the price of taking on an extra $4 mil this year.

The Celtics get a rare starting caliber defensive 5 - Perk with better rebounding - plus an extra $4 mil of wiggle room under the tax for greater trade flexibility.

Win win.

Finally -- a logical trade idea. TP. I think this is the most reasonable I've seen for Asik where he ends up on the Cs. Only asterisk: I want that minimum guy to be Greg Smith.

Each piece of that trade makes some solid sense for everyone, including the savings Boston gets.

I'm not eager to acquire Asik -- I think he has limited meaning to the current Celtics, and i think quitting on his team has really damaged his market value, and scares me as a teammate. But if Ainge were, I'd hope he's start here, but begin with the pick being the Clips in 2015, then see what happens....
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2013, 05:13:39 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421

Win win.

Issue with this is that by taking on Asik with out retaining Humphs expiring the Cs put them self back into the luxury taxw next season. This is why I suggested Bass in a similar trade
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2013, 05:19:26 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Issue with this is that by taking on Asik with out retaining Humphs expiring the Cs put them self back into the luxury taxw next season. This is why I suggested Bass in a similar trade
This is true. But the issue with trading Bass is that Howard pretty much asked to have him shipped out of time once already.

As a matter of fact, I still see this as an opportunity to goad Houston into unloading both Lin and Asik, if they would take Wallace and Lee.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2013, 05:23:15 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Trade em Hump and Lee and Brooks

« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2013, 06:29:28 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff

How is that true? Celtics payroll as of now is $48M next year. The estimated luxury tax threshold is $75M. I think you are confusing the salary cap with the luxury tax, and also assuming that Asik's cap number is $15M (it's not, it's $8M).

Also, there's no reason why we can't move Lee or Bass (or anyone) in separate deals.

« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2013, 06:29:59 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I wanted Asik before but listening to the wisdom of Bill Simmons, I agree, I don't want him on my team.

The guy quit on his team for not getting playing time. If he quits then, he'll quit some more.

So from now on, NO on Asik.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2013, 06:35:10 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
I wanted Asik before but listening to the wisdom of Bill Simmons, I agree, I don't want him on my team.

The guy quit on his team for not getting playing time. If he quits then, he'll quit some more.

It's worth considering, but I think that's a bit of a simplistic view. He signed a 3 year deal with Houston to be their starting center, outperformed all expectations, and after 1 year was promptly replaced with a free agent. He has a pretty good reason to be disgruntled.

« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2013, 06:38:30 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Bass and the Clips pick.

I don't know if Howard doesn't like playing with Bass or not, but Bass has improved his game a lot since those days. They need a 4 that can hit the elbow jumper when Howard gets double teamed.

« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2013, 06:39:22 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

It's worth considering, but I think that's a bit of a simplistic view. He signed a 3 year deal with Houston to be their starting center, outperformed all expectations, and after 1 year was promptly replaced with a free agent. He has a pretty good reason to be disgruntled.

Yeah.

Also, I'm not sure about this "quit on his team narrative" that's now picking up steam. McHale DNP-CDed Asik after the trade request; Asik didn't say he wouldn't suit up.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague