Author Topic: Rockets seek deal for Omer Asik  (Read 50849 times)

Re: Rockets seek deal for Omer Asik
« Reply #195 on: December 17, 2013, 10:45:51 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
More importantly, what do you guys think the final "bid" for Asik is going to look like?

Bass, Vitor, and a pick.

I agree that Bass and Vitor are a likely combo if the Cs do an Asik deal direct with Houston.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #196 on: December 17, 2013, 10:49:33 AM »

Offline Shamrocker

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 69
More importantly, what do you guys think the final "bid" for Asik is going to look like?

Bass, Vitor, and a pick.

I agree that Bass and Vitor are a likely combo if the Cs do an Asik deal direct with Houston.

I think Bass, Lee and a pick makes more sense for them. They desperately need a reserve off-guard, Lee has a deep reservoir of good will in Houston, and the fans want him back.

« Reply #197 on: December 17, 2013, 10:54:29 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Bass, Vitor, and a pick.

I think Bass, Lee and a pick makes more sense for them. They desperately need a reserve off-guard, Lee has a deep reservoir of good will in Houston, and the fans want him back.
No, it doesn't. On about a million of levels:

1. Houston let Lee walk already.
2. Howard all but lobbied for Orlando to ship Bass out of town.
3. Houston doesn't need any more SGs.
4. Houston is looking to shed Asik's salary for next year when Lin is going to make $15 million. They're not doing that by replacing Asik's $15 million with Bass and Lee's $12 million (and a free bonus year of contractual obligations on both of them).

It's just not going to happen. Even more so if the "sweetener" is a draft pick that projects in the 20s.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 11:01:18 AM by kozlodoev »
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #198 on: December 17, 2013, 10:59:55 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Bass, Vitor, and a pick.

4. Houston is looking to shed Asik's salary for next year when Lin is going to make $15 million. They're not doing that by replacing Asik's $15 million with Bass and Lee's $12 million (and a free bonus year of contractual obligations on both of them).

It's just not going to happen. Even more so if the "sweetener" is a draft pick that projects in the 20s.

Agreed.  The only player the Celtics have who might be available and who would make the Rockets better is Jeff Green.  Put him at the 3 with Parsons sliding over to the 4 and they've got a better version of what Dwight had beside him in Orlando.

But I don't see the point of trading Green for Asik from the Celtics' perspetive.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #199 on: December 17, 2013, 11:03:34 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Agreed.  The only player the Celtics have who might be available and who would make the Rockets better is Jeff Green.  Put him at the 3 with Parsons sliding over to the 4 and they've got a better version of what Dwight had beside him in Orlando.

But I don't see the point of trading Green for Asik from the Celtics' perspetive.
I'm not sure Parsons can play the 4. I think they need depth in the front court behind Parsons (Caspi has not been good this season), Jones (Montejunas is still figuring out the NBA, and Smith just came back), and Howard.

You have a much better chance to convince Houston to perhaps swap Asik and Brewer for a package along the lines of Faverani, Humphries, and a pick -- gives them a good mix of expiring contracts, positional need, and future considerations -- and addresses 2 of their three needs.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #200 on: December 17, 2013, 11:09:34 AM »

Offline Shamrocker

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 69

Bass, Vitor, and a pick.

The package from Philly will center around Thaddeus Young who has two years 19.4 million left. I hear your frustration, but I think they'll be taking back money regardless. 

As for Courtney Lee, I suggest you read the comments on dreamshake. It seems they feel they have a REAL PROBLEM at the backup two guard position, and want LEE to back to fill the void. Clearly, the opinions of the fans don't necc. matter, but it does, if anything, give us a perspective into their on-court needs.

As for Bass, I would like to see factual evidence supporting that claim. I don't suppose you have anything to back that up, do you?

http://www.thedreamshake.com/2013/12/15/5213302/omer-asik-trade-rumors-houston-rockets-2013#comments

« Reply #201 on: December 17, 2013, 11:10:04 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

Bass, Vitor, and a pick.

1. That was to preserve cap flexibility to do other deals.  Pulling back on their qualifying offer allowed them to sign Lin and Asik.

2.  I've never seen any actual evidence that Howard wanted Bass gone.  I've seen evidence that Orlando was run by morons who thought that bringing in Glen Davis would make Howard more likely to stay.

3. Houston is going with a three-guard rotation of Beverly, Harden, and Lin.  The only other guard on their roster is PG Aaron Brooks.  SG is their position of least depth.

4. Houston is looking to get maximum value for Asik.  They really want picks because even late first-round picks are valuable (if your GM isn't an idiot).  Bass is the sort of player they might be willing to flip for assets at the trade deadline, since the team wants to acquire players early enough so that they are eligible to be traded again during the season.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #202 on: December 17, 2013, 11:25:35 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568

Bass, Vitor, and a pick.

Making definitive statements about trade rumors seems quite foolish to me.

1. SO because a player leaves a team, there's no chance that team wants the player back?

2. Speculation.

3. Houston currently has one SG on their roster rotation-worthy. Garcia is a SF. Lee played very well in Houston and would be a good addition according to Rockets bloggers who watch nearly every single game..

What would this post be without bringing back a Rockets fan favorite? Acquiring Courtney Lee would give the Rockets a needed "3 and D" guy off the bench who can be trusted to guard opposing shooting guards and small forwards for 15-25 minutes a game while not being a negative on offense. Oh, and Courtney Lee would be a Rocket. Courtney Lee.

4. The main motivation for trading Asik seems to be his loud displeasure with a bench role.

Edit: Haha I guess people beat me to it addressing these "million" reasons. I suppose I'm not the only one who gets rubbed the wrong way by Koz's usual snarkiness.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #203 on: December 18, 2013, 06:33:10 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
Final deal? Houston get Young and a 1st from Philly, Lee and a 1st from us, and leave the two teams to squable over Asik
Banner 18 please 😍