Author Topic: Rockets seek deal for Omer Asik  (Read 50877 times)

Rockets seek deal for Omer Asik
« on: December 06, 2013, 01:52:53 PM »

Offline stb

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 120

Re: Rockets seek deal for Omer Asik
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 02:03:12 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
So they're basically just saying "we'll take the best offer we can get in the next two weeks?"
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 02:04:35 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Ainge should start out with the lowball offer of Humphries and a lottery-protected first.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 02:13:02 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Asik is owed $15 million in salary next season in a balloon payment in the final year of his contract that only counts against the salary cap at $8.4 million but could still dissuade some bidders.

I wonder how much that might deter buyers. If at all.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 02:20:22 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
Asik is owed $15 million in salary next season in a balloon payment in the final year of his contract that only counts against the salary cap at $8.4 million but could still dissuade some bidders.

If Houston throws in the maximum of $3 million cash, the salary is around $5 million this year and $15 million the next.  That is approximately $17 million over two years.  Asik's contract counts for $8,374,646 against the cap this and next season.

However, I think the Celtics already received the max in cash for this season in the Nets trade.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 02:21:55 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
How about Bass, Bradley, and the lesser of Boston's two 2014 picks (top 8 protected) for Asik?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2013, 02:26:50 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Don't know how we get him but if we can give scraps, I'd love it. Put Sully at PF with Asik and KO with Vitor off the bench and we are rolling!

Problem is what we would have to give up.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2013, 02:29:24 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

If Houston throws in the maximum of $3 million cash, the salary is around $5 million this year and $15 million the next.  That is approximately $17 million over two years.  Asik's contract counts for $8,374,646 against the cap this and next season.

However, I think the Celtics already received the max in cash for this season in the Nets trade.

That restriction works both ways? I know teams can't send out more than $3 mil in cash as part of trades during any one season, but I didn't know that they couldn't be on the receiving end.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2013, 02:33:20 PM »

Offline Interceptor

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 224
That restriction works both ways? I know teams can't send out more than $3 mil in cash as part of trades during any one season, but I didn't know that they couldn't be on the receiving end.
It's a two-parter, separate limits:

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q95

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, 02:33:50 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

There are separate limits for how much a team can send out and how much it can receive.

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2013, 02:33:58 PM »

Offline jc3celticsphan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 20
bass and lee lets get it done

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2013, 02:35:53 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
We'd be nuts not to try Bass, Lee, picks and as little else as possible. Makes sense for both sides.

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2013, 02:39:29 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
We'd be nuts not to try Bass, Lee, picks and as little else as possible. Makes sense for both sides.

We'd be "nuts" to trade picks unless you're talking about 2nd rd picks, in addition to Bass and Lee.

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2013, 02:40:37 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
I have posted this before...

If the Cs are truthfully not looking to bottom out this year then a Bogans + Vitor + nets 2014 1st might be enough to get Asik.

Letting Humphires deal run out this off-season leaves enough money to pay Asik the 15mil and pay AB without getting into luxury tax.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2013, 02:42:07 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

We'd be "nuts" to trade picks unless you're talking about 2nd rd picks, in addition to Bass and Lee.
then you don't want Asik, which is fine, but there is no way Bass and Lee lands you Asik.  No chance at all.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip