Author Topic: Trade Idea - Luol Deng for Anthony Bennett  (Read 1730 times)

Trade Idea - Luol Deng for Anthony Bennett
« on: November 25, 2013, 09:32:04 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=l8uymgz

Alonzo Gee and Sergey Karasev also to Chicago to make the salaries work.

I think Chicago is going to lose Deng this summer.  They can't pay him similar money to what he's getting now and end up in the repeater tax for multiple years.  They won't have cap space to add another FA, so trading him is their best means to get another player back.  They still might end up in the repeater tax bracket, but they have much more options and potentially tradeable assets to work with now if they need to get under.

What cleveland desperately needs is a vet and also a wing.  I think adding a player like Luol Deng would instantly help turn that team around.  Then this summer, he is expiring so they can either resign him, or let him walk if their goal is to pursue Lebron.  This trade helps free up enough future cap space to offer Lebron a max contract if that is the route they wish to take.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 12:03:19 AM by action781 »
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

Re: Trade Idea - Luol Deng for Anthony Bennett
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 10:59:27 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Good idea.

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 01:10:20 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Wow, I just checked some historical numbers and right now Bennett is the unambiguous worst-performing #1 draft pick in modern NBA history (setting aside injuries). It's not even close.

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 08:14:54 AM »

Offline celticslove

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 188
just did a quick check on his stats and wow .214 FG%, .133 3FG% .333 FT%.  :o :o somewhat i think MJ is kinda relieved about that Kwame pick.

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 08:20:30 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
not sure Deng is the type of player Cleveland would want to bring in.  He makes them better, but not good enough, so I don't see the point especially if he is just a rental.  Makes more sense to hang onto Bennett, Gee, and Karasev.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 01:47:34 PM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
I really like this trade. Deng is a fierce competitor and while Bennett might pan out after a year or two, the Cavs could use some veteran leadership and defense on the wing now.

If Bynum stays on pace and healthy Deng gives them the kind of defensive ability on the wing to challenge in the East. Miami struggles against dominant PGs and Cs. Throw in an elite wing defender and that is a recipe for a pretty good squad.

This trade also bails Chicago out of some taxes and gets them some young trade assets. They have to at least consider it.

Great trade idea.