Author Topic: ***amusing Chad Ford tidbit***  (Read 13275 times)

Re: ***amusing Chad Ford tidbit***
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2013, 01:17:35 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
That's kind of funny because in an interview there was one GM that pretty much agreed with Ainge. Regardless, people are going to believe what they want to believe. It makes for more interesting stories and trade ideas.

You know the source? I'd be interested in hearing that. It'd be a welcome addition to my senior thesis, "Danny Ainge: Snake or Unintentional Liar?"

There was an article in the Herald a week or two ago where a GM said that Ainge wouldn't (and also shouldn't) trade Rondo unless he gets a superstar in return.

I was doing some work last night that involved looking up some stuff about Chris Webber, and I got sucked into the rabbit hole of how he was traded from the Bullets it was for Mitch Richmond and Otis Thorpe at the age of 25.

Now, if we put Rondo in the Richmond role, what kind of players fit the Webber model now?(25-ish, not a bonafide superstar, but on the way) could we possibly get back? I can't think of one off the top of my head, but surely some of you have some ideas?

Cousins seems like a fit.

An under-performing malcontent with the talent to be a superstar.

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2013, 01:24:03 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Cousins was my first thought (especially with the Kings connection).

That's kind of funny because in an interview there was one GM that pretty much agreed with Ainge. Regardless, people are going to believe what they want to believe. It makes for more interesting stories and trade ideas.

You know the source? I'd be interested in hearing that. It'd be a welcome addition to my senior thesis, "Danny Ainge: Snake or Unintentional Liar?"

There was an article in the Herald a week or two ago where a GM said that Ainge wouldn't (and also shouldn't) trade Rondo unless he gets a superstar in return.

I was doing some work last night that involved looking up some stuff about Chris Webber, and I got sucked into the rabbit hole of how he was traded from the Bullets it was for Mitch Richmond and Otis Thorpe at the age of 25.

Now, if we put Rondo in the Richmond role, what kind of players fit the Webber model now?(25-ish, not a bonafide superstar, but on the way) could we possibly get back? I can't think of one off the top of my head, but surely some of you have some ideas?

Richmond was 6 years older than Rondo is. Webber was a fairly brittle (IIRC) malcontent/coach killer.

I know, I'm using that trade as an example of the kind of return that we might end up with for Rondo, based on Jeff's superstar premise.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2013, 01:48:53 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Cousins was my first thought (especially with the Kings connection).

Richmond was 6 years older than Rondo is. Webber was a fairly brittle (IIRC) malcontent/coach killer.

I know, I'm using that trade as an example of the kind of return that we might end up with for Rondo, based on Jeff's superstar premise.

Who came up with the closest thing you'll find.

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2013, 01:53:07 PM »

Offline Jailan34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
by the way, one more here of interest from Ford. Re: the Bobcats:

Given how bad the East has looked this season, maybe that's enough to get the Bobcats a fifth or sixth seed. Michael Jordan would get what he wants in the short term. But in the long term? The Bobcats really, really need a star.

I've believed the Cats have smelled like a Cs trade partner for a while. I can see anything from a trade of Green there, to a much larger deal including Rondo. They're anxious to get relevant, the Cs have some veteran pieces that would help them, and MJ doesn't win a lot of deals.

That's an interesting thought, what kind of package would you accept for rondo? Something like their 1st in 2014 and mkg?

Couldn't happen til after the season, Charlotte traded their 2014 (protected) pick to Chicago, or it got to Chicago.

But couldn't they trade Detroit's and / or Portland's?

Regardless, I wouldn't base any deal around MKG (he's a pass for me). I'd expect the Cs would want to trade them Wallace and Lee with Rondo to start, then build a deal around other assets (Walker, Henderson, Taylor, picks) with Gordon and Sessions expirings.

I think a Rondo trade there is a long shot. I think a deal for the likes of Green and Bass is not.

I can also still see the 3 way deal I purposed with Asik going to Charlotte, Green going to Houston, and expirings and a couple of young guys coming to Boston. 

Would houston want green when they already have parsons? I don't even think many teams around the league are interested in green considering hes having another average season. If i was houston I'd rather have parsons over green, parsons is a better playmaker.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2013, 01:57:11 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I think some GMs expect Ainge to push hard to move Rondo because that's what they would do in his place.  However, Ainge doesn't always do what other people would do.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2013, 02:03:30 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I think some GMs expect Ainge to push hard to move Rondo because that's what they would do in his place.  However, Ainge doesn't always do what other people would do.

I think it is a very surface thinking which has led the prevailing opinion to be that Rondo will be moved.  It is mostly based on the idea that Danny traded KG and Pierce, and that Rondo is the next to go.  But IMO, it ignores the details, which are much more crucial.  The details being what you would get for Rondo, and whether it puts you in a better position now or in the future. 

I just think when you start looking closely at that, you realized that maybe Rondo won't be moved.  Maybe it would make little sense, unless some team falls completely in love with him.

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2013, 03:28:11 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

I think it is a very surface thinking which has led the prevailing opinion to be that Rondo will be moved.  It is mostly based on the idea that Danny traded KG and Pierce, and that Rondo is the next to go.  But IMO, it ignores the details, which are much more crucial.  The details being what you would get for Rondo, and whether it puts you in a better position now or in the future. 

I just think when you start looking closely at that, you realized that maybe Rondo won't be moved.  Maybe it would make little sense, unless some team falls completely in love with him.

Certainly. As previously pointed out, Ainge is not as adverse to discussing Rondo in trades as he suggests in the media ('they called me, i didn't call them', and so on), and this must be responsible, at least in part, for why other GMs don't buy that the Cs won't decide to move him. Doesn't mean they will.

This is Ainge's style -- fleshing out options to see if he can hit a home run in return where other GMs wouldn't even bother to ask. But those same GMs still hear those media denials… which presumably only fuels their skepticism.

Bottom line: Danny's an operator, and a good one, so cynicism about his intentions from media and opposing front offices will persist, and lots of rumors will follow... so many he can say "so much of this stuff is made up" and still be... fairly... accurate.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2013, 03:42:31 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134

Certainly. As previously pointed out, Ainge is not as adverse to discussing Rondo in trades as he suggests in the media ('they called me, i didn't call them', and so on), and this must be responsible, at least in part, for why other GMs don't buy that the Cs won't decide to move him. Doesn't mean they will.

This is Ainge's style -- fleshing out options to see if he can hit a home run in return where other GMs wouldn't even bother to ask. But those same GMs still hear those media denials… which presumably only fuels their skepticism.

Bottom line: Danny's an operator, and a good one, so cynicism about his intentions from media and opposing front offices will persist, and lots of rumors will follow... so many he can say "so much of this stuff is made up" and still be... fairly... accurate.

Spot on analysis of the game that's going on.  Nice post.

« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2013, 03:46:24 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

If he's not calling teams trying to trade Rondo you can hardly refer to that as shopping Rondo. And he'd surely trade Rondo for a deal that was a home run, but young players with potential and draft picks that may or may not be high picks isn't what anyone would call a home run.

« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2013, 04:41:27 PM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 170
Rival GMs will make lowball offers for Rondo until he shows he's 100% healthy. Danny will listen (it's his job) and maybe come up with crazy counters.

When Rondo is back, we'll see if there's a serious offer for Rondo or if Ainge is shopping him and asking for fair value. I don't see a Rondo trade coming, and I'm fine with him in green.

IMO, Danny won't give up on assets to get rid of bad contracts, maybe he'll take on 2-year bad contracts to accumulate more assets. We'll see.

« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2013, 04:45:28 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

IMO, Danny won't give up on assets to get rid of bad contracts, maybe he'll take on 2-year bad contracts to accumulate more assets. We'll see.

He won't trade Rondo to get rid of Wallace, but you can bet that if he does decide to trade Rondo, he'll insist Wallace go with him.... especially considering Rondo is not likely to yield a current NBA star in return.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2013, 04:59:49 PM »

Offline wahz

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 101
words are wind

if the actually trade Rondo for anything short of the next Durant I'm going to be royally ticked off

Couldn't agree more. For all his perceived shortcomings, he has been a monster in the playoffs. It's crazy to trade a guy who is as good as he is come playoffs, at least for now.

I also wonder if he will be more consistent in the regular season now vs what was going on while playing with veterans who were coasting frequently.

« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2013, 07:21:15 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
I think if you want to deal Rondo, you have to do it on draft night with a team that's afraid to blow a lottery pick and needs star power.

For example:

Henson + Giannis + #2 pick (Parker)?

Would be awfully enticing.

« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2013, 08:06:17 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I think if you want to deal Rondo, you have to do it on draft night with a team that's afraid to blow a lottery pick and needs star power.

For example:

Bucks nation would vomit at a proposal like that.
Henson, Giannis AND their pick?

They would give up Henson, a 2nd rounder and Brandon Knight but that's about it.

Your proposal basically wipes out their future.
I actually made a trade post on the Real GM Bucks forum, offering Rondo, Green & Bradley for Henson, Giannis, a pick and some bad contracts & they ran me outta there with hate haha.
Other teams fans (and educated fans in the Real GM instance) just don't value Rondo like we do. Now that's not to say other GM's don't like him but it gives you perspective.
I mean they scoffed at a starting 5 of Rondo, Green, OJ Mayo,Ilyasova and Larry Sanders like I was high.

A team like them *might* give up their lottery pick+ Henson+bad salary for Rondo,Sully and Avery Bradley.

Don't like your chances in this draft though.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2013, 08:06:30 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777

For example:

Not happening for a top 3 pick; wiggins, parker, and randle are about as can't miss as there have been in a while, and it would be more like "Top 3 pick for Rondo + Goodies" than "Rondo for Top 3 plus goodies." Rondo maybe could get Henson, Giannis, #7-12 or so.