Author Topic: ***amusing Chad Ford tidbit***  (Read 13273 times)

***amusing Chad Ford tidbit***
« on: November 25, 2013, 11:47:30 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
"Ainge says the team has no intention of trading Rondo. But I can't find another GM in the league who believes him." ~ Chad Ford

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10033153/nba-tank-rank-east-keeps-rising-bottom

telling as to Ainge's historical shopping habits of Rondo. going to be a rumor filled month or two when he gets back on the court....

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

Re: ***amusing Chad Ford tidbit***
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 11:49:45 AM »

Offline sed522002

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 221
That's kind of funny because in an interview there was one  GM that pretty much agreed with Ainge. Regardless, people are going to believe what they want to believe. It makes for more interesting stories and trade ideas.

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 12:04:02 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
That's kind of funny because in an interview there was one GM that pretty much agreed with Ainge. Regardless, people are going to believe what they want to believe. It makes for more interesting stories and trade ideas.

You know the source? I'd be interested in hearing that. It'd be a welcome addition to my senior thesis, "Danny Ainge: Snake or Unintentional Liar?"

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 12:05:16 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
That's kind of funny because in an interview there was one GM that pretty much agreed with Ainge. Regardless, people are going to believe what they want to believe. It makes for more interesting stories and trade ideas.

You know the source? I'd be interested in hearing that. It'd be a welcome addition to my senior thesis, "Danny Ainge: Snake or Unintentional Liar?"
Just because you believe the lies you tell doesn't make you any less of a snake. Danny Ainge: Unintentional Lying Snake!
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 12:17:18 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Danny is a politician.  He uses ambiguous language for a reason.  He will say they have no intention on trading Rondo, but then clarify that no one is untradable.  And I believe him on both accounts. 

They will accept offers for Rondo, and make offers with him if there is one to make.  But that doesn't mean they actually intend to trade him, that is just doing your due diligence. 

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 12:23:41 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
by the way, one more here of interest from Ford. Re: the Bobcats:

Given how bad the East has looked this season, maybe that's enough to get the Bobcats a fifth or sixth seed. Michael Jordan would get what he wants in the short term. But in the long term? The Bobcats really, really need a star.

I've believed the Cats have smelled like a Cs trade partner for a while. I can see anything from a trade of Green there, to a much larger deal including Rondo. They're anxious to get relevant, the Cs have some veteran pieces that would help them, and MJ doesn't win a lot of deals.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 12:28:08 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
words are wind

if the actually trade Rondo for anything short of the next Durant I'm going to be royally ticked off
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2013, 12:43:25 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
Danny is a politician.  He uses ambiguous language for a reason.  He will say they have no intention on trading Rondo, but then clarify that no one is untradable.  And I believe him on both accounts. 

They will accept offers for Rondo, and make offers with him if there is one to make.  But that doesn't mean they actually intend to trade him, that is just doing your due diligence.

That's exactly the case IMO.

If he's trading Rondo, the deal will be so far lopsided that nobody would pass it up.  Not even Rondo.  It's going to take an arm and a leg if somebody wants Rondo.

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2013, 12:47:20 PM »

Offline Jailan34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30

Given how bad the East has looked this season, maybe that's enough to get the Bobcats a fifth or sixth seed. Michael Jordan would get what he wants in the short term. But in the long term? The Bobcats really, really need a star.

I've believed the Cats have smelled like a Cs trade partner for a while. I can see anything from a trade of Green there, to a much larger deal including Rondo. They're anxious to get relevant, the Cs have some veteran pieces that would help them, and MJ doesn't win a lot of deals.

That's an interesting thought, what kind of package would you accept for rondo? Something like their 1st in 2014 and mkg?
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2013, 12:50:42 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

There was an article in the Herald a week or two ago where a GM said that Ainge wouldn't (and also shouldn't) trade Rondo unless he gets a superstar in return.

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2013, 12:51:20 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134

That's an interesting thought, what kind of package would you accept for rondo? Something like their 1st in 2014 and mkg?

I think for Ainge, it's going to take way more than that.  Hence the reason that everyone is saying, "they're not trading Rondo".

You'll have to add 2 first rounders + MKG to make it work for Ainge.

My guess is he's wanting 3 or 4 commodities for Rondo which will make a deal highly unlikely.

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2013, 12:53:06 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Couldn't happen til after the season, Charlotte traded their 2014 (protected) pick to Chicago, or it got to Chicago.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2013, 01:00:24 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

There was an article in the Herald a week or two ago where a GM said that Ainge wouldn't (and also shouldn't) trade Rondo unless he gets a superstar in return.

I was doing some work last night that involved looking up some stuff about Chris Webber, and I got sucked into the rabbit hole of how he was traded from the Bullets it was for Mitch Richmond and Otis Thorpe at the age of 25.

Now, if we put Rondo in the Richmond role, what kind of players fit the Webber model now?(25-ish, not a bonafide superstar, but on the way) could we possibly get back? I can't think of one off the top of my head, but surely some of you have some ideas?
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2013, 01:01:57 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

Couldn't happen til after the season, Charlotte traded their 2014 (protected) pick to Chicago, or it got to Chicago.

But couldn't they trade Detroit's and / or Portland's?

Regardless, I wouldn't base any deal around MKG (he's a pass for me). I'd expect the Cs would want to trade them Wallace and Lee with Rondo to start, then build a deal around other assets (Walker, Henderson, Taylor, picks) with Gordon and Sessions expirings.

I think a Rondo trade there is a long shot. I think a deal for the likes of Green and Bass is not.

I can also still see the 3 way deal I purposed with Asik going to Charlotte, Green going to Houston, and expirings and a couple of young guys coming to Boston. 

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2013, 01:12:53 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I was doing some work last night that involved looking up some stuff about Chris Webber, and I got sucked into the rabbit hole of how he was traded from the Bullets it was for Mitch Richmond and Otis Thorpe at the age of 25.

Now, if we put Rondo in the Richmond role, what kind of players fit the Webber model now?(25-ish, not a bonafide superstar, but on the way) could we possibly get back? I can't think of one off the top of my head, but surely some of you have some ideas?

Richmond was 6 years older than Rondo is. Webber was a fairly brittle (IIRC) malcontent/coach killer.