Author Topic: Greg Monroe Trade (rumor/piston fans complaining)  (Read 10465 times)

Re: Greg Monroe Trade
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2013, 11:07:07 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Pistons want rondo, if not will want sullinger for monroe. Jazz will likely ask for bradley and olynyk for hayward

No way, i do either trades

I do Bradley and  Ko for Hayward and never look back.

I'd trade .65 for a dollar every time as well. Just good practice.

Don't get the love affair with Hayward. Then you'd have to pay him likely at least $10mill/4 years?

Even with Bradley extended, him and KO will make less combined.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2013, 11:07:32 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I think you are undervaluing Monroe.  It is an interesting trade, but I think the C's would need to send one more premium asset for the Pistons to consider it.  Green is older, will be a free agent in a couple years, and Monroe is already a better player at a significantly more premium position.

I think this could be an interesting draft day trade though, if the C's end up later in the lottery, like maybe 10th pick or something.  I think Green and a late lottery pick in a loaded draft could get the Pistons to the table.
I really wouldn't want to give a lottery pick and pay Monroe.

I'm not sure that post up slow footed C/PFs are worth it in today's game. If you're a defensive force in some way you can figure it out. But Monroe looks like Big Al on D, just kills you over and over.

I think you are undervaluing the importance of a scoring big.

« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2013, 11:14:11 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I think you are undervaluing Monroe.  It is an interesting trade, but I think the C's would need to send one more premium asset for the Pistons to consider it.  Green is older, will be a free agent in a couple years, and Monroe is already a better player at a significantly more premium position.

I think this could be an interesting draft day trade though, if the C's end up later in the lottery, like maybe 10th pick or something.  I think Green and a late lottery pick in a loaded draft could get the Pistons to the table.

I'm not sure that post up slow footed C/PFs are worth it in today's game. If you're a defensive force in some way you can figure it out. But Monroe looks like Big Al on D, just kills you over and over.

Jared Sullinger is a better scoring big than Monroe.  Olynyk has the potential to be. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2013, 11:30:25 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

Jared Sullinger is a better scoring big than Monroe.  Olynyk has the potential to be.

And I guess my response would be wouldn't it be nice to have Sully as your PF and Monroe as your C?

Not to mention having an actually center might benefit Sully's game even more.

« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2013, 11:31:39 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

I am a big Sullinger fan, but I strongly disagree.  Monroe can score on just about anyone in the NBA.  Sullinger's interior scoring is good, but is limited.

I do think they are repetitive players though, and don't like the idea of having them both.  So, if the C's were to get Monroe, then I think they would want to move Sully.

« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2013, 11:34:22 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

I'm not sure that post up slow footed Cs are worth it in today's game. If you're a defensive force in some way you can figure it out. But Monroe looks like Big Al on D, just kills you over and over.

Is he that bad defensively?  When I have watched him, I thought he was good.

Honestly, I think Detroit should be trading Josh Smith instead.  Smith is not a good fit with Drummond, while I think Monroe is.  That is a great front-line if you have some perimeter players who can stretch the defense. 

Maybe the trade is actually Green and filler for Josh Smith.

Agree with you on Smith. He's not a player I'd sign to a large FA deal anyway, but he's a particularly bad fit on a team building around Monroe and Drummond, and it got worse when they added Jennings. If they could trade him for a strong wing shooter (a big if), the should. I pray Ainge doesn;t get tempted take him for Green.

I actually think he would be an interesting fit for the C's, particularly if they get Parker or Wiggins in the draft.  You slide Smith in as your PF next to Sully at center (yeah, I know Sully is small, but having Smith next to him, gives them a rim protector, so it might work).  Suddenly you have a very interesting up-tempo team, that can start winning games as they develop their new superstar.  And Smith would come off the books right around when the draft pick will be due for his extension.

I think it sounds good. I just believe (despite his obvious talent) Smith is an imbecile with a lot of bad habits. I suspect he's a very frustrating player to have / watch on your own team.

Speaking of bad habits, I have no attachment to Green, so I suppose a package based around him is tempting. And he's a better fit with their current squad, even if a less good player.   
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

Re: Greg Monroe Trade (rumor/piston fans complaining)
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2013, 11:39:29 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
Giving non-star players max money is a recipe for mediocrity. I like Monroe, but if he's your best or 2nd best player and he's earning max dollars, I think you're in trouble.

Edit: I think that roster was destined to fail. Monroe cannot play PF. I actually think Monroe at C and Smith at PF provides better balance than any combination they can do. Smith's rim protection and terrific quickness would protect Monroe's back. Obviously they're not moving Drummond though. Maybe if Dumars gets antsy enough they will?
Monroe's max dollars though are not "max" dollars since he is young and not a MVP or All-NBA guy.  It is still a lot of money, but it isn't a crippling amount of money either.

I'm not fimiliar with the max levels. What would his be?
4 yrs, 62 million, which is still a ton of money, but it isn't mega dollars either.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2013, 11:39:39 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley

And I guess my response would be wouldn't it be nice to have Sully as your PF and Monroe as your C?

Not to mention having an actually center might benefit Sully's game even more.

The problem there is that I'm not convinced Monroe is an actual center. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2013, 11:42:18 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley

I am a big Sullinger fan, but I strongly disagree.  Monroe can score on just about anyone in the NBA.  Sullinger's interior scoring is good, but is limited.

I do think they are repetitive players though, and don't like the idea of having them both.  So, if the C's were to get Monroe, then I think they would want to move Sully.

Very small sample size, but so far this season, Greg Monroe is scoring 15.6 points per 36.  Sully is at 19.5.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2013, 11:42:22 AM »

Offline McHales Pits

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 175
So for those of you in the camp opposed to Monroe/Hayward, is it more to do with those players themselves? Is it because you don't like the idea of overpaying 4th year (2010 draft guys)? Would you prefer to build strictly through the draft at this stage? Who would you target instead?

I mentioned these two because I think they are talented young players that the Cs have a reasonable chance at acquiring. Irving, Lillard, and Anthony Davis are untouchable.
2013 CB Draft Champions*: Minnesota Timberwolves
DKC League: Washington Wizards

« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2013, 11:52:34 AM »

Offline jc3celticsphan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 20
monroe wont fit in sullys paint

« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2013, 11:59:01 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Very small sample size, but so far this season, Greg Monroe is scoring 15.6 points per 36.  Sully is at 19.5.

Sample size, and projects that generally are not valid.  Guys who play 20 minutes per game generally do not maintain their per 36 rates as minutes are added.  It is not a linear relationship.

« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2013, 12:01:24 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Giving non-star players max money is a recipe for mediocrity. I like Monroe, but if he's your best or 2nd best player and he's earning max dollars, I think you're in trouble.

Edit: I think that roster was destined to fail. Monroe cannot play PF. I actually think Monroe at C and Smith at PF provides better balance than any combination they can do. Smith's rim protection and terrific quickness would protect Monroe's back. Obviously they're not moving Drummond though. Maybe if Dumars gets antsy enough they will?
Monroe's max dollars though are not "max" dollars since he is young and not a MVP or All-NBA guy.  It is still a lot of money, but it isn't a crippling amount of money either.

I'm not fimiliar with the max levels. What would his be?

The maximum depends on years of experience and players on their first free agent contract have a higher maximum if they fit criteria such as winning the MVP award.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2013, 12:01:46 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
monroe wont fit in sullys paint

It matters less if Sullinger learns to shoot threes.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2013, 12:04:05 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I think Monroe and Sully would be a great combination. Both can crash the offensive boards, Sully can play the high post and feed Monroe, and Monroe can clean up the glass when Sully goes inside.

To me the problem would be on defense we have two post players with below average footspeed, meaning they would both need to play excellent position defense to be effective.

My problem with this deal is stylistically. Those two guys would be perfect for a slowed down offense, if they were surrounded by 3 and d guys. If you believe Rondo is our future then running that type of team would not jive.

Most importantly, the Pistons would probably want more than Green and another veteran and I think giving up a young asset for Monroe would be a great mistake.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19