Author Topic: Greg Monroe Trade (rumor/piston fans complaining)  (Read 10473 times)

Greg Monroe Trade (rumor/piston fans complaining)
« on: November 25, 2013, 08:55:03 AM »

Offline McHales Pits

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 175
I occasionally like to glance at various teams forums on Real GM to get a feel of the fans' pulse of their team.

Pistons fans are growing discontented with Greg Monroe due to his lack of an outside shot and poor fit with Drummond and Smith. Fans are clamoring for him to be moved for a wing player who can shoot so that Smith can be moved into his proper PF position. They do acknowledge that they would expect talent is return because 6-11 bigs who average 16-10 with passing skills and court awareness don't grow on trees, but most are willing to cut bait to improve the composition of the roster because of the assumption that they will lose him in the offseason anyways when they are unwilling to match a competitor's offer.

I think an offer consisting around Jeff Green for Greg Monroe would have a competitive chance at being accepted. Green is a player unlike any on their roster and would give them the small forward they desire to reassemble their lineup. Monroe gives us a third big to build around (we would have to extend him) and offers some protection (in the sense of roster stability) against Sullinger's back and Olynyk's development. In the short term, it would leave us with an awkward roster, but we aren't playing to win this year anyways and it creates the opening for the inevitable Celtic Gordon Hayward later in the season/offseason (that is how Pierce's trade exception will be used...I'm convinced).

2014/15 Celtics
Rajon Rondo/Avery Bradley/Gordon Hayward/Jared Sullinger/Greg Monroe?

So for conversation sake, lets call the trade Jeff Green and Courtney Lee for Greg Monroe and Rodney Stuckey. What do you all think of the trade concept and Greg Monroe the player as well as his fit on the team moving forward as a long term investment?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 09:55:39 AM by wdleehi »
2013 CB Draft Champions*: Minnesota Timberwolves
DKC League: Washington Wizards

Re: Greg Monroe Trade
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 08:58:45 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I think you are undervaluing Monroe.  It is an interesting trade, but I think the C's would need to send one more premium asset for the Pistons to consider it.  Green is older, will be a free agent in a couple years, and Monroe is already a better player at a significantly more premium position.

I think this could be an interesting draft day trade though, if the C's end up later in the lottery, like maybe 10th pick or something.  I think Green and a late lottery pick in a loaded draft could get the Pistons to the table. 

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 09:00:49 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I think you are undervaluing Monroe.  It is an interesting trade, but I think the C's would need to send one more premium asset for the Pistons to consider it.  Green is older, will be a free agent in a couple years, and Monroe is already a better player at a significantly more premium position.

I think this could be an interesting draft day trade though, if the C's end up later in the lottery, like maybe 10th pick or something.  I think Green and a late lottery pick in a loaded draft could get the Pistons to the table.
I really wouldn't want to give a lottery pick and pay Monroe.

I'm not sure that post up slow footed C/PFs are worth it in today's game. If you're a defensive force in some way you can figure it out. But Monroe looks like Big Al on D, just kills you over and over.

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 09:02:29 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

I'm not sure that post up slow footed Cs are worth it in today's game. If you're a defensive force in some way you can figure it out. But Monroe looks like Big Al on D, just kills you over and over.

Is he that bad defensively?  When I have watched him, I thought he was good.

Honestly, I think Detroit should be trading Josh Smith instead.  Smith is not a good fit with Drummond, while I think Monroe is.  That is a great front-line if you have some perimeter players who can stretch the defense. 

Maybe the trade is actually Green and filler for Josh Smith.

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 09:06:11 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

I'm not sure that post up slow footed Cs are worth it in today's game. If you're a defensive force in some way you can figure it out. But Monroe looks like Big Al on D, just kills you over and over.

Honestly, I think Detroit should be trading Josh Smith instead.  Smith is not a good fit with Drummond, while I think Monroe is.  That is a great front-line if you have some perimeter players who can stretch the defense. 

I haven't watched him much this year, but last year he reminded me very much of Big Al. Just slow footed and slow reacting to what defenses do to attack him, and that was at the C position.

Young players can always start to figure that out though, Lopez did somewhat last year. Still slow but at least better and knowing where to be.

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 09:13:43 AM »

Offline McHales Pits

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
To be honest - I think the Pistons undervalue him. The Pistons have constructed an imperfect roster with forces Monroe to be the odd man out. There is no getting out of the Josh Smith bed - they are already committed to lying in it. Drummond's athleticism and immense upside is more intriguing to them long term. In order to fix their roster, Smith needs to be at PF and an additional shooter must be added.

In fact, I value Monroe extremely highly. I just view this as a potential buy low situation where we could offer two players of use to them. Both Green and Lee are a bit older than Monroe, but both are in the prime of their careers (27 YO). They are on reasonable contracts and they can both shoot and defend their position - something else Pistons desperately need. Monroe is certainly a loss for them, but these other two players complement their existing lineup better than two-non shooters in Monroe and Stuckey do.

For the Cs, Stuckey is expiring so he is a stop-gap. Monroe - once extended - offers a potential starter for years to come. Sullinger and Monroe would be a terrific offensive complement due to their varying strengths. Sullinger's outside shooting will open up room for Monroe in the paint whereas in Detroit he is being forced to become an outside shooter. This will allow him to play to his strengths and maximize his success. Also, by adding an additional rebounder we can further encourage Sullinger's perimeter game to become a complete player because there will be another player on the floor to clean the glass. Lastly, Monroe's passing gives the Cs another big who can handle the ball and keep the ball moving in a team driven offense without a lead dog for the time being.

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 09:17:11 AM »

Offline McHales Pits

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/monrogr01.html

He averages about 1.5 SPG and 0.75 BPG. I certainly don't think he is a rim protector, but he has good hands. With some good coaching - something he has never had - I think he could improve into a competent defender.

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2013, 09:21:45 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

He averages about 1.5 SPG and 0.75 BPG. I certainly don't think he is a rim protector, but he has good hands. With some good coaching - something he has never had - I think he could improve into a competent defender.
His block and steal %s are decidedly mediocre. I don't think those are signs that he can become a good defender.

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2013, 09:22:00 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I think Green and Smith are too similar of players, but I do think that something like this might work for both teams.

Monroe, Jerekbo, Villanueva

for

Green, Bradley, Bass

So Detroit gets a SF for their mismatched though talented PF (who is also going to be cheaper long term), upgrade the backup PF (Bass from Jerekbo), and get a young defensive guard that can provide some much needed defense to their backcourt.

Boston obviously gets Monroe who instantly is the most talented player on the roster (aside from Rondo).  He is going to get a big contract this summer, but I think it would be worth it.  Monroe, Sullinger, and Olynyk going forward is a good start down.  Add them to the high draft pick this summer and Rondo and you have the beginnings of a nice little team.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2013, 09:22:39 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

I haven't watched him much this year, but last year he reminded me very much of Big Al. Just slow footed and slow reacting to what defenses do to attack him, and that was at the C position.

Young players can always start to figure that out though, Lopez did somewhat last year. Still slow but at least better and knowing where to be.

I agree physically he is like Big Al.  But I think he is a MUCH smarter player, and a hard worker.  Al's slow feet stopped him from being a great defender...but his lack of BBIQ and general effort on that end of the court kept him from being a good defender.  I think Monroe is a good defender.  But he will never be great.  Does he need to be next to Drummond though?

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2013, 09:26:27 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

With the Celtics stash of first round picks, I think every GM is going to try to hold out for at least a lottery-protected first-round pick as part of a deal for anything of value.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2013, 09:27:20 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Pistons want rondo, if not will want sullinger for monroe. Jazz will likely ask for bradley and olynyk for hayward

No way, i do either trades

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2013, 09:28:33 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
To be honest - I think the Pistons undervalue him. The Pistons have constructed an imperfect roster with forces Monroe to be the odd man out. There is no getting out of the Josh Smith bed - they are already committed to lying in it. Drummond's athleticism and immense upside is more intriguing to them long term. In order to fix their roster, Smith needs to be at PF and an additional shooter must be added.

In fact, I value Monroe extremely highly. I just view this as a potential buy low situation where we could offer two players of use to them. Both Green and Lee are a bit older than Monroe, but both are in the prime of their careers (27 YO). They are on reasonable contracts and they can both shoot and defend their position - something else Pistons desperately need. Monroe is certainly a loss for them, but these other two players complement their existing lineup better than two-non shooters in Monroe and Stuckey do.

For the Cs, Stuckey is expiring so he is a stop-gap. Monroe - once extended - offers a potential starter for years to come. Sullinger and Monroe would be a terrific offensive complement due to their varying strengths. Sullinger's outside shooting will open up room for Monroe in the paint whereas in Detroit he is being forced to become an outside shooter. This will allow him to play to his strengths and maximize his success. Also, by adding an additional rebounder we can further encourage Sullinger's perimeter game to become a complete player because there will be another player on the floor to clean the glass. Lastly, Monroe's passing gives the Cs another big who can handle the ball and keep the ball moving in a team driven offense without a lead dog for the time being.

I don't think it would make sense to add Monroe and keep Sully.  I don't see the two of them working out long-term as a starting big man combination.  There's not enough of a shot blocking presence defensively with those two. 

My question is; would Monroe even be an upgrade over Sully? 

I'm still high on Olynyk's potential as a power forward.  I'm not desperate to get rid of Sully or anything, but I do think that if we are looking to make a talent upgrade, he is the player that makes most sense as a trade chip. 

If Jared can keep putting up the numbers he's been putting up in bigger minutes, Danny might start to see some very attractive offers for him. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2013, 09:29:16 AM »

Offline McHales Pits

• NCE
  • Don Chaney

His block and steal %s are decidedly mediocre. I don't think those are signs that he can become a good defender.

The block total is mediocre - yes. But the steals aren't. Last season, he was third among centers in steals per game behind only Anderson Varejao and Demarcus Cousins. Bigs who get steals generally have good awareness and good hands. Pair those attributes with a 6-11 250 body and a team with defensive structure (not saying the Celtics have that yet, but with Stevens' history at Butler I would think this team will eventually develop one) and I think he could become above average on defense.

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2013, 09:33:37 AM »

Offline McHales Pits

• NCE
  • Don Chaney

I don't think it would make sense to add Monroe and keep Sully.  I don't see the two of them working out long-term as a starting big man combination.  There's not enough of a shot blocking presence defensively with those two. 

My question is; would Monroe even be an upgrade over Sully? 

I'm still high on Olynyk's potential as a power forward.  I'm not desperate to get rid of Sully or anything, but I do think that if we are looking to make a talent upgrade, he is the player that makes most sense as a trade chip. 

If Jared can keep putting up the numbers he's been putting up in bigger minutes, Danny might start to see some very attractive offers for him.

Marc Gasol and Zach Randolph combined for 1.3 BPG last season. Gasol is a good defensive player because he does the little things well, not because he is a rim protector. Both of those players play on the ground and they are a very successful frontcourt.