Author Topic: trade idea: send Gerald back to Charlotte  (Read 7978 times)

Re: trade idea: send Gerald back to Charlotte
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2013, 01:54:04 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Post-injury Perk was packaged with Nate Robinson. So he didn't fetch all of this by himself.

I hate(love) to nit pick, but NateRob was strictly salary fodder for that trade.  In his four month in OKC he played a grand total of 30 minutes before being cut.  That deal was strictly for Perk.

« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2013, 07:21:26 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
Post-injury Perk was packaged with Nate Robinson. So he didn't fetch all of this by himself.

I hate(love) to nit pick, but NateRob was strictly salary fodder for that trade.  In his four month in OKC he played a grand total of 30 minutes before being cut.  That deal was strictly for Perk.

And my oh my did OKC get ripped off.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2013, 07:54:17 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
I also don't really see the appeal in Asik, but that's just me.  He had one season and has become obscenely overrated.

He was highly regarded before then, it's why he got such a big contract.

I like Asik but I'm not sure how he singlehandedly turns a team around.  Seems like a guy who becomes more effective when he's got great talent around him, kinda like Tyson Chandler.  No way we contend before his deal ends which means either letting him go or paying him even more to stay.

The reason he got such a contract is because this type of contract (similar to the one with Lin) made it impossible and impractical for the team who held the restricted free-agents right to match, since they'd have to pay excessively more to retain them than the team with the offer sheet.
3 years 24 million for a C of his quality is a normal NBA deal. Look at what Perkins got, and other Cs around the league since forever.

Its just the 5, 5, 15 aspect of it that is weird.

Right. Guy's 7ft+ and an excellent defender. That's what they get. If he could score, he'd earn a lot more.

I think MKG looks like a starter, far from a star. But I don't think I see Charlotte taking Wallace AND giving him up to get Asik.

I posted a related trade here:

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=68087.15

a variation would be:

CHA gets: Asik, C Lee, one of (Garcia, Brewer or Brooks)
BOS gets: Gordon, Jeff Taylor, Greg Smith
HOU gets: B Bass, Jeff Green

It puts the Rockets right up against the lux tax, but not over it (it looks like). It makes some sense for each team.

==============================================================

footnote: the Cs aren't getting a Wallace deal where they send him out with a late 1st and get an expiring deal back. major pipe dream. no team is paying $20mil and crushing their cap for the next two seasons for a late 1st. if Chris Mannix said that, it confirms he's a tier two NBA reporter (at best).

« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 08:21:54 AM by ssspence »
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2013, 08:14:09 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I also don't really see the appeal in Asik, but that's just me.  He had one season and has become obscenely overrated.

He was highly regarded before then, it's why he got such a big contract.

Which I don't totally understand.  He was hailed for his post defense, I guess...  He was averaging 13 minutes in Chicago.  Totally don't understand why he got a fat contract.  Then last year he averages 10 points, 12 rebounds and 1 block on 54% in 30MPG and everyone loses their mind.   

Personally, I'd stay the heck away from Asik.  I'm not impressed.  And I REALLY can't see a team like the Bobcats giving up an elite prospect (MKG) in order to take on Asik (overrated) and Wallace's horrible contract.  Not unless they are getting lotto pick as well.

Advanced statistical analysis shows Asik to be one of the best defensive centers in the NBA.

The reason he's valued so highly is because he gives you elite interior defense without costing a max contract because he's not particularly great offensively.

As for Jeff's trade idea, I agree -- I don't see the Bobcats unloading MKG just to get Asik.  It's still possible MKG turns into a Gerald Wallace / Marion type player.  Asik is solidly a role player.

However, the notion that the Celtics would trade Rondo for salary relief and Zeller / Biyombo is rather silly, as well.

Fair point on Asik.  I'll trust your read on the advanced statistics.  Sounds like it's a Kendrick Perkins type of player whose impact isn't felt on a stat sheet.  Still, you don't get a 20 year old star prospect for that.

and fwiw ... my Rondo + Wallace for cap relief/Zeller/Biyombo... I also figured we could get a protected 1st rounder out of it. 

That's how strongly I feel about the Wallace contract.  I think you'd have to include Rondo in order to get rid of it.

Michael Kidd-Gilchrist a "star prospect"?  I think he is the one being overrated here. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2013, 09:16:24 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Michael Kidd-Gilchrist a "star prospect"?  I think he is the one being overrated here. 
MKG has been really disappointing this year. Still looks no better than a young Trevor Ariza.

He's gotta start showing something offensively. A jump-shot. An ability to create one-on-one. Some ball-handling and/or passing ability. He's amongst the worst in the league among starting SFs in the league in each area.

« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2013, 10:24:44 AM »

Offline celtic -_- pride

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 60
  • Stuff & Things
I would trade Wallace to Charlotte for the memories of tyrus Thomas. The dude is just a sore to watch. Last game he had 3 passes in a row. that were just awful, leading to turnovers and eventually points for the other team
[img width= height=]http://s7.postimg.org/jsyw5qrez/banner.jpg[/img]