Author Topic: trade idea: send Gerald back to Charlotte  (Read 7979 times)

Re: trade idea: send Gerald back to Charlotte
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2013, 04:56:50 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I also don't really see the appeal in Asik, but that's just me.  He had one season and has become obscenely overrated.

He was highly regarded before then, it's why he got such a big contract.

I like Asik but I'm not sure how he singlehandedly turns a team around.  Seems like a guy who becomes more effective when he's got great talent around him, kinda like Tyson Chandler.  No way we contend before his deal ends which means either letting him go or paying him even more to stay.

The reason he got such a contract is because this type of contract (similar to the one with Lin) made it impossible and impractical for the team who held the restricted free-agents right to match, since they'd have to pay excessively more to retain them than the team with the offer sheet.
3 years 24 million for a C of his quality is a normal NBA deal. Look at what Perkins got, and other Cs around the league since forever.

Its just the 5, 5, 15 aspect of it that is weird.

It was a 3 year deal for a player that was 2 years into the league and hadn't played more than 14 minutes a game when he signed the contract, averaging 3.1 points a game.

Sorry, but that's not normal and doesn't compare to the Perkins situation at all, not even close.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't recall a player with that type of production, getting that few minutes of playing time getting this sort of contract.

Plus, no one in the league was really interested in giving him this type of contract, so this really wan't his market... I may be wrong, but that's what I recall about the situation.

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2013, 05:04:07 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2013, 05:47:31 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
That's how strongly I feel about the Wallace contract.  I think you'd have to include Rondo in order to get rid of it.

If Wallace's contract is so toxic that he has to be shipped out ASAP, I'd rather use a first round pick rather than Rondo to get rid of it.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2013, 05:50:43 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
Asik is a top 10 center in the league though.  He is flawed, but he is right up there with the best defensive big men in the league.

He is basically like pre-injury Perk, but with better non-post defense, and much better rebounding.  That is a real asset.

How much better rebounding?  He was second in total rebounding percentage last season and he'd be top five this season and the year before last season if he had enough playing time.

Given how the Celtics of recent years have been poor rebounders, I thought that stat might excite more people around here.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2013, 07:09:39 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
How about sending GWall and Bass to Charlotte for Gordon's expiring and Haywood??  We got out from under Gerald's horrendous contract and Charlotte welcomes back their most popular player just as they are about to return to the "Hornets" and they get a good PF that can open up the middle for Big Al. 

I think we should get a second rounder from Charlotte out of this, as I feel Charlotte is getting the upper hand here.

Thoughts??

http://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/6360059

Smitty77

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2013, 07:11:26 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
How about sending GWall and Bass to Charlotte for Gordon's expiring and Haywood??  We got out from under Gerald's horrendous contract and Charlotte welcomes back their most popular player just as they are about to return to the "Hornets" and they get a good PF that can open up the middle for Big Al. 

I think we should get a second rounder from Charlotte out of this, as I feel Charlotte is getting the upper hand here.

Thoughts??

http://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/6360059

Smitty77

I think Boston is getting the upper hand by shedding the long-term salary commitments (even though I like Bass).
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 07:20:29 PM by Lucky17 »

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2013, 07:23:47 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

Thoughts??

If Charlotte is getting the upper hand here, then Wallace's contract isn't that bad.

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2013, 07:34:40 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
They are getting two players that likely can get them into the playoffs, not to mention bringing back their most popular franchise player of all time!!!  I live in Albemarle, next door to Charlotte, and I know that GWall is loved here!!!  We get really nothing in terms of the players we receive.  Gordon is absolutely HORRIBLE!!!  Haywood is hurt and may never be much of a contributor again.  He could be a decent back up depending on how he comes back from injury.

I LOVE Jeff Adrian.  How about expanding the trade and us giving them GWall, Bass, and Marshon Brooks for Gordon, Haywood, and Adrian.  Charlotte could really use some outside shooting and Marshon is worth a look-see to see what he might do with playing time.  Also, Adrian becomes expendable as he would likely be quickly bumped behind both GWall and Bass.

http://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/6360068

Thoughts about this expanded trade??

Smitty77

« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2013, 07:37:48 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
But, couldn't the Cats simply trade Ben Gordon to some other team for a better set of players to help them get to the playoffs?

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2013, 07:40:52 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
That's how strongly I feel about the Wallace contract.  I think you'd have to include Rondo in order to get rid of it.

If Wallace's contract is so toxic that he has to be shipped out ASAP, I'd rather use a first round pick rather than Rondo to get rid of it.

Chris Mannix talked about exactly that a few weeks ago on our pre-game show. He said that he talked to several GM's about trading Wallace and the consensus was that the C's would have to package one of our first rd draft picks from either NJ or LAC, along with Wallace, to strike a deal. So, no, it wouldn't take a Rondo.

« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2013, 08:11:30 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
But, couldn't the Cats simply trade Ben Gordon to some other team for a better set of players to help them get to the playoffs?

An expiring contract is much harder to move now than in past years!!  GWall would fill seats and MJ like to make money so he can have gambling money to gamble with drug king pins on SC golf courses:-))))))  Seriously (although that was really rather serious - if you are too young or too naive to understand that, do your own research on Michael's history), Bass would really help them with spacing.  Charlotte needs outside shooting.  I think that Bass would be a perfect compliment to Big Al!!!  GWall is a veteran to directly mentor MKG and to get the chance to continue to mentor Gerald Henderson!!

What do you think Charlotte can get for Ben, who is an under 40% shooter???  Ben Gordon is done.

Smitty77

« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2013, 09:52:30 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White

An expiring contract is much harder to move now than in past years!!  GWall would fill seats and MJ like to make money so he can have gambling money to gamble with drug king pins on SC golf courses:-))))))  Seriously (although that was really rather serious - if you are too young or too naive to understand that, do your own research on Michael's history), Bass would really help them with spacing.  Charlotte needs outside shooting.  I think that Bass would be a perfect compliment to Big Al!!!  GWall is a veteran to directly mentor MKG and to get the chance to continue to mentor Gerald Henderson!!

What do you think Charlotte can get for Ben, who is an under 40% shooter???  Ben Gordon is done.

Smitty77

But teams aren't going to be trading for Ben Gordon, the player; they'll be trading for that fat expiring contract (in the same way that teams won't be interested in Kris Humphries, the player, but in his expiring contract).

If Gerald Wallace truly is some kind of cult hero in Charlotte, I hope Ainge is pursuing the kind of deal you're proposing.

« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2013, 11:03:21 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

Smitty77

But teams aren't going to be trading for Ben Gordon, the player; they'll be trading for that fat expiring contract (in the same way that teams won't be interested in Kris Humphries, the player, but in his expiring contract).

If Gerald Wallace truly is some kind of cult hero in Charlotte, I hope Ainge is pursuing the kind of deal you're proposing.

But, Hump could average a double double if given 30 or more minutes per night.  He has done it two of the last three years (and the ONE year he didn't, he simply didn't get the minutes)!!!  Hump can still play.  Gordon CANNOT!!  That is a bad analogy.  Teams will be trading more for Hump's expiring contract, but they will also be trading for him knowing he is still a solid player.  That cannot be said about Gordon. 

Smitty77

« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2013, 11:26:31 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
I don't think Gordon can't play. I think Charlotte simply chooses not to play him. There's a huge difference there. (Take for instance, Bogans.)

If Ben Gordon gets bought out, there's going to be a lot of interest in him. (Same with Hump.)

If the Celtics could stay under the luxury tax threshold, I'd be thrilled if they swapped Humphries for Gordon. If Ainge could swing a swap of Wallace for Gordon, it'd be an absolute home run.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 11:36:40 PM by Lucky17 »

« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2013, 12:09:56 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
I don't think Gordon can't play. I think Charlotte simply chooses not to play him. There's a huge difference there. (Take for instance, Bogans.)

If Ben Gordon gets bought out, there's going to be a lot of interest in him. (Same with Hump.)

If the Celtics could stay under the luxury tax threshold, I'd be thrilled if they swapped Humphries for Gordon. If Ainge could swing a swap of Wallace for Gordon, it'd be an absolute home run.

Gordon shot under 41% last year in almost 21 minutes per game.  He is absolutely HORRIBLE on defense too!!

We could not swap Hump or Gwall for Gordon, as we would take back more salary than we would send out and put us over the cap, which would prove devastating.

I guess I am just not a big fan of Ben Gordon.  Perhaps I am biased:-))

Smitty77