Author Topic: trade idea: send Gerald back to Charlotte  (Read 7977 times)

trade idea: send Gerald back to Charlotte
« on: November 22, 2013, 03:49:35 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
my daily trade idea

3 way trade with Bobcats and Rockets

Boston gets: Ben Gordon ($13M expiring), Kidd-Gilchrist
Bobcats get: Asik, Gerald Wallace
Houston gets: Jeff Green

Rockets get good value for Asik

Bobcats pick up salary but get a defensive big to put next to Al Jefferson and Gerald Wallace helps them in their "win-now" mode and also returns to his old stomping grounds

Celtics get cap relief this summer and a chance to look at MKG on his rookie deal

basically I'm using Jeff Green to dump Gerald Wallace
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

Re: trade idea: send Gerald back to Charlotte
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 03:56:32 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Sorry Jeff... Bobcats would be kind of insane to do that.  MKG is a serious asset.  He just turned 20 years old and is actually contributing.

I also don't really see the appeal in Asik, but that's just me.  He had one ok season and has become obscenely overrated.

I'm not even convinced you could get MKG for Rajon Rondo... otherwise, I would have thrown MKG into my proposed idea of Rondo + Wallace for Gordon (expiring), Sessions (expiring), Biyombo (young asset) and Zeller (young asset).   I kept MKG out of that trade, because I thought it tipped the scale into "unrealistic" territory.

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 04:00:16 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I also don't really see the appeal in Asik, but that's just me.  He had one season and has become obscenely overrated.

He was highly regarded before then, it's why he got such a big contract.

I like Asik but I'm not sure how he singlehandedly turns a team around.  Seems like a guy who becomes more effective when he's got great talent around him, kinda like Tyson Chandler.  No way we contend before his deal ends which means either letting him go or paying him even more to stay.

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 04:02:38 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
I also don't really see the appeal in Asik, but that's just me.  He had one season and has become obscenely overrated.

Which I don't totally understand.  He was hailed for his post defense, I guess...  He was averaging 13 minutes in Chicago.  Totally don't understand why he got a fat contract.  Then last year he averages 10 points, 12 rebounds and 1 block on 54% in 30MPG and everyone loses their mind.   

Personally, I'd stay the heck away from Asik.  I'm not impressed.  And I REALLY can't see a team like the Bobcats giving up an elite prospect (MKG) in order to take on Asik (overrated) and Wallace's horrible contract.  Not unless they are getting lotto pick as well.

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 04:03:27 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

I like Asik but I'm not sure how he singlehandedly turns a team around.  Seems like a guy who becomes more effective when he's got great talent around him, kinda like Tyson Chandler.  No way we contend before his deal ends which means either letting him go or paying him even more to stay.

The reason he got such a contract is because this type of contract (similar to the one with Lin) made it impossible and impractical for the team who held the restricted free-agents right to match, since they'd have to pay excessively more to retain them than the team with the offer sheet.

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 04:06:29 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

The reason he got such a contract is because this type of contract (similar to the one with Lin) made it impossible and impractical for the team who held the restricted free-agents right to match, since they'd have to pay excessively more to retain them than the team with the offer sheet.

I just don't get all the hype over a 28 year old big man who has career averages of 5 points, 7 rebounds and a block.   This smells like Kendrick Perkins all over again.  You don't give up a 20 year old potential star for a borderline starting center.

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2013, 04:07:09 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

I just don't get all the hype over a 28 year old big man who has career averages of 5 points, 7 rebounds and a block.   This smells like Kendrick Perkins all over again.  You don't give up a 20 year old potential star for a borderline starting center.

Me neither.

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2013, 04:10:48 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

3 years 24 million for a C of his quality is a normal NBA deal. Look at what Perkins got, and other Cs around the league since forever.

Its just the 5, 5, 15 aspect of it that is weird.

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2013, 04:12:45 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Which I don't totally understand.  He was hailed for his post defense, I guess...  He was averaging 13 minutes in Chicago.  Totally don't understand why he got a fat contract.  Then last year he averages 10 points, 12 rebounds and 1 block on 54% in 30MPG and everyone loses their mind.   

Personally, I'd stay the heck away from Asik.  I'm not impressed.  And I REALLY can't see a team like the Bobcats giving up an elite prospect (MKG) in order to take on Asik (overrated) and Wallace's horrible contract.  Not unless they are getting lotto pick as well.

Advanced statistical analysis shows Asik to be one of the best defensive centers in the NBA.

The reason he's valued so highly is because he gives you elite interior defense without costing a max contract because he's not particularly great offensively.

As for Jeff's trade idea, I agree -- I don't see the Bobcats unloading MKG just to get Asik.  It's still possible MKG turns into a Gerald Wallace / Marion type player.  Asik is solidly a role player.

However, the notion that the Celtics would trade Rondo for salary relief and Zeller / Biyombo is rather silly, as well.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2013, 04:17:57 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Advanced statistical analysis shows Asik to be one of the best defensive centers in the NBA.

The reason he's valued so highly is because he gives you elite interior defense without costing a max contract because he's not particularly great offensively.

As for Jeff's trade idea, I agree -- I don't see the Bobcats unloading MKG just to get Asik.  It's still possible MKG turns into a Gerald Wallace / Marion type player.  Asik is solidly a role player.

However, the notion that the Celtics would trade Rondo for salary relief and Zeller / Biyombo is rather silly, as well.

Fair point on Asik.  I'll trust your read on the advanced statistics.  Sounds like it's a Kendrick Perkins type of player whose impact isn't felt on a stat sheet.  Still, you don't get a 20 year old star prospect for that.

and fwiw ... my Rondo + Wallace for cap relief/Zeller/Biyombo... I also figured we could get a protected 1st rounder out of it. 

That's how strongly I feel about the Wallace contract.  I think you'd have to include Rondo in order to get rid of it.

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2013, 04:30:22 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

The career averages are low because he has spent all but 1 year of his career as the backup to two of the top 4 or 5 centers in the league.

Asik is a top 10 center in the league though.  He is flawed, but he is right up there with the best defensive big men in the league.

He is basically like pre-injury Perk, but with better non-post defense, and much better rebounding.  That is a real asset.

Remember, post-injury Perk brought back a backup Center, Jeff Green who was still considered a very solid asset, and a first round pick.

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2013, 04:41:36 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

That's how strongly I feel about the Wallace contract.  I think you'd have to include Rondo in order to get rid of it.

You may be right about that, but if that's the case, I'd rather just bit the bullet and keep him around until he expires.

If he gets to really be a major distraction, you can just tell him to go home and hope to negotiate a buyout.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2013, 04:45:19 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Sorry Jeff... Bobcats would be kind of insane to do that.  MKG is a serious asset.  He just turned 20 years old and is actually contributing.

I also don't really see the appeal in Asik, but that's just me.  He had one ok season and has become obscenely overrated.

I'm not even convinced you could get MKG for Rajon Rondo... otherwise, I would have thrown MKG into my proposed idea of Rondo + Wallace for Gordon (expiring), Sessions (expiring), Biyombo (young asset) and Zeller (young asset).   I kept MKG out of that trade, because I thought it tipped the scale into "unrealistic" territory.

I don't think MKG is the player, or has the value, you think he does. He has a great motor, but the guy is a below average offensive player and can't shoot. They've had Mark Price working with him since last year and this year he's shooting 61% from the line.

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2013, 04:52:08 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
My guess is ainge isn't going to do a back mormon summersault to dump wallace
if he can great but he realizes how bad geralds contract is AND his production offensively makes wallace really really hard to move
i like his rebounding, ball handing and defense so far regular season but WHERE did his preseason scoring go, he isn't even attempting shots  ???

I wouldn't dump green just to move wallace.  And while Ben Gordon would give us the outside threat this team needs I am not impressed with his overall game and his contract sucks as well.  Gilchrist I can't see them trading unless its for quite the deal.  Like that kids game.

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2013, 04:56:01 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Remember, post-injury Perk brought back a backup Center, Jeff Green who was still considered a very solid asset, and a first round pick.
Post-injury Perk was packaged with Nate Robinson. So he didn't fetch all of this by himself.

Asik is an above-average center, and a pretty good defensive player, but I don't think I can put him in the top 10 of his position in any way -- there's an embarrassment of talent at the center position in the NBA this season, both in terms of  younger (Cousins, Kanter, Vucevic, Drummond, Monroe) and more established (Howard, Gasol, Noah, Chandler, Lopez, Hibbert, Jefferson, Jordan) players.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."