Author Topic: Nets Lakers trade idea  (Read 5451 times)

Nets Lakers trade idea
« on: November 22, 2013, 12:01:59 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=lylyvk5

Time for Brooklyn to give up on Deron Williams

The trade is:

Brooklyn sends Deron Williams, Plumlee and T. Taylor to the Lakers

Lakers send Pau Gasol, Jodie Meeks and a 2014 second round pick to the Nets

Lakers get even worse this year, assuring them a lottery pick, but snag their PG for the next 6 years at least...

The Nets, who are about to fall off a cliff, shake up the chemistry, start Livingston but allow Joe Johnson to handle the ball more too, and jump to best frontcourt in the NBA....Garnett sees fewer minutes but plays maniacally....health insurance if a big (Lopez?) goes down.  They go all in for title, which would make the coming dark age bearable....

I could even see KG coming off the bench for 2 minutes at SF at the end of a game...closing with Lopez, Gasol, KG, Pierce and J.J.

Doubt the Lakers would do this.  Anyone agree or disagree with that?  I do think it would assure a better chance at a top 5 pick for the Lakers.

New Jersey could resign Pau to a cheaper deal and use Deron's money for a new player.

Re: Nets Lakers trade idea
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 04:44:44 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
dude has a sprained ankle with 70 games to play and you think it's time to give up on him?

Lol.

no...

Brooklyn will be fine.  They'll probably win 50+ this season.

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 05:16:23 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I think that trade makes both teams worse- short term and long term.

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 07:22:47 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Deron may be off to a rough start, but no way does Pau Gasol net you Deron Williams and promising rookie Plumlee.

Are you a Laker fan? Lol
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 07:56:25 AM »

Offline McHales Pits

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 175
Those Nets picks are looking better and better by the day. Celts may have a lottery pick for the next half decade regardless of their own performance.

2013 CB Draft Champions*: Minnesota Timberwolves
DKC League: Washington Wizards

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 08:43:21 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
dude has a sprained ankle with 70 games to play and you think it's time to give up on him?

Lol.

no...

Im wondering when people are going to realize how overrated Deron Williams is... Dude just kills team chemistry. The Nets would be much better off trading him.

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2013, 08:49:15 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo

Lol.

no...

Im wondering when people are going to realize how overrated Deron Williams is... Dude just kills team chemistry. The Nets would be much better off trading him.

I do somewhat agree with this and I think some Nets fans even do.

The issue is finding a team who will give equal value and take on Deron's max contract.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2013, 09:06:12 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I don't like this trade, but I do think the Nets might want to consider giving up Williams or even Lopez if things keep going like they are.  Really the only assets they have. 

I actually really like both players, but the team is just SO slow.  They need some athleticism. 

The other thing they need is to move KG back to center.  Everyone says he has lost a couple more steps this season, but I don't think he has.  I just think they moved him back to PF, which he simply can't play anymore.  He looked cooked a couple years ago for the C's when they had him at PF, and then he had his resurgence when they moved him to center, so he didn't have to chase around the perimeter as much on defense, and could use his size and skills against slower centers offensively.  With Lopez, that just doesn't really work.

They also could bring KG off the bench for Lopez, and then play them together down the stretch against certain matchups. 

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2013, 09:10:02 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
I don't like this trade, but I do think the Nets might want to consider giving up Williams or even Lopez if things keep going like they are.  Really the only assets they have. 

I actually really like both players, but the team is just SO slow.  They need some athleticism. 

The other thing they need is to move KG back to center.  Everyone says he has lost a couple more steps this season, but I don't think he has.  I just think they moved him back to PF, which he simply can't play anymore.  He looked cooked a couple years ago for the C's when they had him at PF, and then he had his resurgence when they moved him to center, so he didn't have to chase around the perimeter as much on defense, and could use his size and skills against slower centers offensively.  With Lopez, that just doesn't really work.

They also could bring KG off the bench for Lopez, and then play them together down the stretch against certain matchups.

I agree with the KG analysis.

I think one of Brooklyn's biggest issues is playing KG at the 4. He simply doesn't have the quickness or athleticism to defend most 4's. Even more so when a team goes small.

The issue is, they haw Lopez there obviously and you're not swapping them. Lopez would likely fetch the best return in a deal.
*CB Miami Heat*

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2013, 03:13:58 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Lol.

no...

This is complete nonsense.  Deron Williams is underrated.

Brooklyn won 49 games last year without KG and Pierce.

Deron's post-allstar stats:  23 points, 8 assists, 3 rebounds, 1 steal, 48%/42%/87%.

Yes, they lost a 7 game series in the 1st round.  But Deron lead a playoff team and lead it well... he averaged 21 points 8 assists, 3 rebounds, 1 steal, 43%/40%/82%. 

He's played 9 games so far this year.  His minutes are limited (24 per night).  He just rolled his ankle and will likely lose a few games.

You should fully expect this team to rattle off a 15 game win streak at some point.  If you don't think Deron, Johnson, Lopez, KG and Pierce can't dig themselves out of a 3-8 hole with 71 games left on the season, you're dreamin.

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2013, 03:19:53 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

I think one of Brooklyn's biggest issues is playing KG at the 4. He simply doesn't have the quickness or athleticism to defend most 4's. Even more so when a team goes small.

The issue is, they haw Lopez there obviously and you're not swapping them. Lopez would likely fetch the best return in a deal.

So, would a Lopez-Pau swap make sense for both sides?
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2013, 03:47:16 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
You should fully expect this team to rattle off a 15 game win streak at some point.  If you don't think Deron, Johnson, Lopez, KG and Pierce can't dig themselves out of a 3-8 hole with 71 games left on the season, you're dreamin.

There's about one winning streak of 15 or more games in the league every other year on average. It's possible the Nets will go on such a run but it's probably almost as likely they'll miss the playoffs.

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2013, 03:48:08 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo

Doubtful I think. Lopez represents the only real youth Brooklyn has so I bet he's the last player they'd move.
*CB Miami Heat*

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2013, 04:00:01 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Pau's also a C though.

At the very least he's a slow partner for KG, which is the problem with Lopez as well.

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2013, 04:12:14 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

There's about one winning streak of 15 or more games in the league every other year on average. It's possible the Nets will go on such a run but it's probably almost as likely they'll miss the playoffs.

Look... bottom line is that they are 1 game out of the playoffs.  Philly is a lock to drop out.  Boston will continue to skid.   Within a month, I'd be shocked not to see New York and Brooklyn at the top of the Atlantic.   Brooklyn could have the 4th seed by the end of the month.

I'd love for Brooklyn and Atlanta to lose every game this season, but it's a pipe dream.  Brooklyn has too much talent.  They'll be fine.