Author Topic: Celtics interested in Amare  (Read 54637 times)

Re: Celtics interested in Amare
« Reply #75 on: November 18, 2013, 03:51:58 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Clearly, the Knicks are in no rush to trade Amare.  They would like to move him but are holding out hope he could bring a useful piece back.

For the Celtics, the only reason to take on Amare is cap relief.  That means no trade Rondo.  No trading Green.  And no trading Humphries because he is cap relief.

I wonder if the Knicks have though about packaging Shumpert and Bargnani to the Rockets for Asiks and cap junk. 

« Reply #76 on: November 18, 2013, 04:01:00 PM »

Offline VitorSullyandKOFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 19
Wallace,Lee,Bass for Amare  is a great deal for Boston a lot of salary relief for next year when Love,Gasol and Hibbert are FA.

« Reply #77 on: November 18, 2013, 04:06:16 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
For the Celtics, the only reason to take on Amare is cap relief.  That means no trade Rondo.  No trading Green.  And no trading Humphries because he is cap relief.
I don't think this is true. A very good reason to take on Amare is if you can pry a talent like Shumpert with him, and not offer any significant prospects in the package.

Don't forget that Amare is not a long term contract -- even if you ship Humphries out, you're still getting cap relief after next season. Granted, I don't think the Knicks will give up Shumpert for as little as $12 million in cap relief in 2014 and 2 serviceable players (Bass/Lee/Humph for Amare/Shumpert), but I feel this is decidedly a scenario in which we take Amare _and_ take a cap hit in the process. And it's still a good scenario for us.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #78 on: November 18, 2013, 04:06:45 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
interesting bit from that article:
The Knicks and Nuggets discussed a Shumpert-for-Kenneth Faried swap last week. New York believed it had a deal completed on Tuesday morning, a league source told ESPNNewYork.com. But the trade fell through when Denver asked the Knicks to include at least one draft pick.

IMO that's not an even swap.  The Knicks should have thrown in their next pick tradeable which is in 2018.

After thinking it over I'm on board with with a Lee, Humphries, and Wallace for Stoudamire and Shrumpert trade.  We are helping the Knicks alot at the bigs and wing depth in this trade where I might even push for that 2018 pick.   It could be argued Lee is playing better than Shrumpert this year, and is an upgrade over Hardaway Jr for this year.   It's also going to save the Knicks some salary next year with Humphries expiring deal, and they retain his bird rights I believe if they want to try and sign him.   If the Knicks are banking on cap space in the summer of 2015 it may be too late if Anthony is impatient or if they strike out in free agency.   I think the Knicks are going to be desperate to make sure they make the playoffs this year.

For us we have $27,330,855 going out in this trade, and $23,383,653 coming in per the ESPN trade machine so we have extra wiggle room if we want to sign a couple players, or if we take back more money in a separate deal such as Bass for an expiring contract. 

« Reply #79 on: November 18, 2013, 04:08:26 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Wallace,Lee,Bass for Amare  is a great deal for Boston a lot of salary relief for next year when Love,Gasol and Hibbert are FA.
You can't do Wallace, Lee and Bass. This means shipping out ~$2 million more salary than you're taking in, and that will put us over the cap.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #80 on: November 18, 2013, 04:22:50 PM »

Offline VitorSullyandKOFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 19
You can't do Wallace, Lee and Bass. This means shipping out ~$2 million more salary than you're taking in, and that will put us over the cap.

I checked on the trade machine and it worked.

« Reply #81 on: November 18, 2013, 04:24:23 PM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
Amare seems to be frustrated in New York ::)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOTFW2VtRdg

Poor Chris Smith, getting so much hate just for being JRs brother ;D ;D
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #82 on: November 18, 2013, 04:36:29 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Who says 'no' the following?

Knicks get: Rondo, Wallace, Bass, Lee
Celts get: Amare, Felton, Shumpert, Knicks 2014 1st

That would need to be seriously considered by both sides. I'm sure the Knicks would want to protect the 2014 pick -- I'd go Top 3 protected, max, or play hardball on unprotected to test their mettle (read: they have none)...

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #83 on: November 18, 2013, 04:41:10 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

I checked on the trade machine and it worked.

There are legal trades that the Celtics wouldn't do because it puts the team over the luxury tax threshold.  Of course, Wallace/Lee/Bass for Amare decreases team salary by about $100K, but it also puts the team under the 13-player roster minimum and adding another player for the minimum puts the team really close to luxury tax.  The inability to add players in case of injury makes it difficult. 

That means it might make more sense to ship out Humphries than Wallace, with the intention of waiting until next season before you try to move Wallace's contract.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #84 on: November 18, 2013, 04:42:15 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

That would need to be seriously considered by both sides. I'm sure the Knicks would want to protect the 2014 pick -- I'd go Top 3 protected, max, or play hardball on unprotected to test their mettle (read: they have none)...

I say no, I don't think the Knicks have a 2014 1st (not sure who said it), and even if they do, with that talent on that team, that first pick isn't going to be a top 10. And considering a package like that and a first for Rondo is NOT worth it

« Reply #85 on: November 18, 2013, 04:42:45 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Denver says no--they already have the rights to the Knicks 2014 first rounder.

For those interested, New York's pick situation looks like this:

2014 first round draft pick to Denver
New York's 2014 1st round pick to Denver [Denver-Minnesota-New York, 2/22/2011]; Denver may convey this pick to Orlando (see Denver Debits)

2014 second round draft pick to Houston
New York's 2014 2nd round pick to Houston [Houston-New York, 7/11/2012]

2015 second round draft pick to Houston
New York's 2015 2nd round pick to Houston [Houston-New York, 7/11/2012]

2016 first round draft pick to Denver
Denver has the right to swap its 2016 1st round pick for New York's 2016 1st round pick [Denver-Minnesota-New York, 2/22/2011]; New York will convey the less favorable of these two picks to Toronto (see New York Debits)

2016 first round draft pick to Toronto
New York will convey the less favorable of its 2016 1st round pick and Denver's 2016 1st round pick to Toronto (via Denver's right to swap for New York) [Denver-Minnesota-New York, 2/22/2011 and then New York-Toronto, 7/10/2013]

2016 second round draft pick to Sacramento
New York's 2016 2nd round pick to Sacramento (via Portland) protected for selections 31-37; if this pick falls within its protected range and is therefore not conveyed, then New York's obligation to Sacramento will be extinguished [New York-Portland, 7/15/2012 and then New Orleans-Portland-Sacramento, 7/10/2013]

2017 second round draft pick to Toronto
New York's 2017 2nd round pick to Toronto [New York-Toronto, 7/10/2013]

www1.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/detailed

And you can't trade first round draft picks in back to back years, so their 2015 and 2017 picks aren't tradable assets.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #86 on: November 18, 2013, 04:42:49 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

I say no because I don't want to trade Rondo.

Denver says no because they own the Knicks' 2014 first round pick (although it might end up with Orlando).

Edit:
« Reply #85 on: Today at 11:42:45 AM »
« Reply #86 on: Today at 11:42:49 AM »

Freaky....
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #87 on: November 18, 2013, 04:45:21 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
love it -- three snarky responses in five minutes. sorry for the mix up on their 2014 pick.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #88 on: November 18, 2013, 04:48:08 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
love it -- three snarky responses in five minutes. sorry for the mix up on their 2014 pick.

When you're throwing out a potential trade as a "who says no?"-styled obvious move, it helps if the trade is actually possible. ;)

Follow up: would you do that trade without the 2014 pick?
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #89 on: November 18, 2013, 04:55:23 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

When you're throwing out a potential trade as a "who says no?"-styled obvious move, it helps if the trade is actually possible. ;)

Follow up: would you do that trade without the 2014 pick?

how it's phrased wouldn't make a difference -- praying on the misinformed is the quickest way to looks smart on a sports blog, no?

don't think i'd do it without the pick. but i advocate cleaning house -- i'm interested in trading Rondo if Wallace and Lee go as well, and there's a decent piece or two in return. taking Amare and only getting Shumpert isn't enough. If Amare expired this summer, I probably would.

Mike

(My name is not Mike)