Author Topic: Celtics interested in Amare  (Read 54502 times)

Re: Celtics interested in Amare
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2013, 09:28:35 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Wallace is 2 more years at 10 million
Bass is 1 more year at 7 million
Amare is 1 more year at 23 million

I don't like spiking any flexibility we have next year for just 10 million in savings. I really don't like giving up a draft pick, even just the Clippers pick, for it.

Now if we moved Lee instead of Bass for more savings the third year maybe it'd be more palatable. Though I think we can move Lee in a separate deal that might not require taking back salary.

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2013, 09:43:56 AM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
I am for any move that makes the C's worse for the next 6-9 months.  Trading two or three rotation players for the puddle that is Amare is fine with me. I am all in for the Tank job and you should be too if anyone has watched the start of the College Basketball Season, these opportunities come around about once a decade....

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2013, 09:50:30 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I love Wallace. Lee has been playing decent ball. But I do this trade in a second. See if Amare can play 10 to 15 a night for us, if not we have 23 million expiring to dangle next year and we are off the books of Wallace and Lee the year after.

Say no to dealing any draft picks though.

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2013, 09:59:16 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I am for any move that makes the C's worse for the next 6-9 months.

So, you want to throw in Sullinger if it gets the deal done?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2013, 10:01:38 AM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
I don't think you would have to deal Sully, KO or Bradley to get that deal done.  In terms of the deal that is being discussed, yes I would do it.

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2013, 10:07:21 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I don't like spiking any flexibility we have next year for just 10 million in savings. I really don't like giving up a draft pick, even just the Clippers pick, for it.

I agree on the draft pick.  Also, we shouldn't make any deal that adds salary this year, and puts us over the luxury tax.

Long term, it's an interesting question about flexibility vs. getting rid of the last year of Wallace's contract.  It would be hard to move a $23 million contract, even if it's expiring, and arguably Wallace's contract could have value in its last year.  Still, I think I'd do the swap, just to clear the decks one year sooner.

I'm curious what Amare's attitude would be.  Would we just try to buy him out?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2013, 10:10:30 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

I agree on the draft pick.  Also, we shouldn't make any deal that adds salary this year, and puts us over the luxury tax.

Long term, it's an interesting question about flexibility vs. getting rid of the last year of Wallace's contract.  It would be hard to move a $23 million contract, even if it's expiring, and arguably Wallace's contract could have value in its last year.  Still, I think I'd do the swap, just to clear the decks one year sooner.
Isn't Amare's contract also amnesty-eligible, unlike Wallace's?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2013, 10:13:06 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

Isn't Amare's contract also amnesty-eligible, unlike Wallace's?

The Knicks already used their amnesty.  You can't amnesty a player you trade for.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2013, 10:14:54 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
The Knicks already used their amnesty.  You can't amnesty a player you trade for.
Yeah, the Knicks amnestied Billups, or something. But I didn't realize you can't amnesty a player you trade for. Oh well.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2013, 10:30:22 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
The link said that Amare is partially guaranteed next year.

Anyone know the number if true?

« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2013, 10:33:48 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
So, here's what I find funny.

Chris Broussard tweets: While C's not moving Rondo, they would take back Amare in deal n which they could unload longer deals of Gerald Wallace &/or Courtney Lee.

That suggests that the Celtics would do a deal for Amare that doesn't involve Wallace.

So, Stoudemire and Shumpert (and throw in Chris Smith and Toure Murray to balance roster spots) for Lee, Bass, Humphries, and Bogans.

The Celtics take on more salary for next season to save money for this season and 2014-2015.  One benefit is that Ainge now has wiggle room to do deals without going into the luxury tax.  That includes simply signing an available center such as Tim Ohlbrecht or Chris Johnson.

« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2013, 10:40:10 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

Chris Broussard tweets: While C's not moving Rondo, they would take back Amare in deal n which they could unload longer deals of Gerald Wallace &/or Courtney Lee.

That suggests that the Celtics would do a deal for Amare that doesn't involve Wallace.

So, Stoudemire and Shumpert (and throw in Chris Smith and Toure Murray to balance roster spots) for Lee, Bass, Humphries, and Bogans.

The Celtics take on more salary for next season to save money for this season and 2014-2015.  One benefit is that Ainge now has wiggle room to do deals without going into the luxury tax.  That includes simply signing an available center such as Tim Ohlbrecht or Chris Johnson.
If the Knicks are willing to add Shumpert as a sweetener in any deal that's designed to solely help them dump half of Amare's contract, I'll take them up on it. If they think they're getting Rondo this way, no pasaran.

« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2013, 10:41:38 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

I don't think there is any way Boston acquire Amare and does not give up Wallace.  I read that more as Wallace and maybe Lee, not as Lee and not Wallace. 

I still think Wallace, Bass, Lee for Amare makes sense for both teams.  Other pieces can obviously be included.  Knicks get 3 useful players for 1 not useful player.  Boston shaves a year from Wallace and Lee.  I'd probably even throw in Humphries for Bargnani if NY wanted to save future money.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2013, 10:45:05 AM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
Getting rid of Bass, Lee and Wallace would really help the tanking process :)

« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2013, 10:46:14 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Getting rid of Bass, Lee and Wallace would really help the tanking process :)
Yeah, excellent, we just moved from 8th to 6th in a 3-player draft :P