Author Topic: Rondo will make this team better.  (Read 14758 times)

Re: Rondo will make this team better.
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2013, 11:48:16 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
my thoughts - and I preface this by saying Rondo is a great player one of the handful best play makers in the NBA but he is not going to make this team much better than it is right now.  First, he is coming off a knee injury, look at what's going on with Rose in Chicago?  There is a reason people say it takes a year of playing before you get back to the level you were at before the injury.  2nd he was surrounded by two sometimes three HOF's who were great shooters.  He doesn't have any of that now.  Too think that Rondo is going to come back after taking 10-12 months off from playing professional basketball and be the same guy is just unrealistic and unfair.

On the other hand, Rondo is eager to play, playing 3 on 3 for example without being cleared by the doctors, while Rose was afraid to even practice even after getting the go ahead by the doctors...

Different set of circumstances, injury, mental make-up, and players.

Rose was afraid to practice? I haven't seen that anywhere.

I will say that Chicago's medical staff and front office have given a few reasons why they're not to be trusted in regards to their injury clearance.

Rondo will be back when he comes back. He will make the team better by virtue of being on the floor, and I suspect he'll be back in playing shape and playing at a high level by the time the 2013 season is in the books.

I don't believe that we can win a title or seriously contend in the playoffs when our best players are Rondo and Jeff Green.

As for making the playoffs--it really depends on when he comes back and how the rest of the team plays for the duration of his absence. If we're still hovering around .500 after the All-Star Break and the trade deadline, it's certainly possible that we sneak in to one of the lower seeds--playing .500 ball got us in to the 7th seed last year, after all.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2013, 11:53:04 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Of course he makes them better.

The better question:  Does this team help Rondo be better?

I don't think it does.  Rondo can still be good, but because of his game as a pass first PG, I don't think the team will allow him to be great.  He needs better weapons.

Disagree completely with your assessment.

Why?   Who is the good (I am not even looking for great at the moment) offensive player that gets even better with Rondo?   Who are the spot up shooter to make teams pay when Rondo penetrates?  (or at least spreads the floor)

So you're claiming that you don't see any players on the current roster that would benefit from getting easier scoring opportunities?

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2013, 11:56:19 AM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48

I don't think it does.  Rondo can still be good, but because of his game as a pass first PG, I don't think the team will allow him to be great.  He needs better weapons.

Why?   Who is the good (I am not even looking for great at the moment) offensive player that gets even better with Rondo?   Who are the spot up shooter to make teams pay when Rondo penetrates?  (or at least spreads the floor)

So you're claiming that you don't see any players on the current roster that would benefit from getting easier scoring opportunities?

This roster is not filled with great shooters, that's when Rondo is at his best.  They have pick and pop with Bass and that's about it?  Last year he had Bass, KG, Pierce and JET.  This year he has Bass?  Who is going to consistently knock down shots, whether they are good looks or not? 

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2013, 11:59:22 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Re-read what I said.

The roster is going to get a boost playing with Rondo.  (rondo help the rest of the team)

The roster is not going to help Rondo be the best Rondo can be.  (roster is going to hold Rondo back)

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2013, 12:02:17 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

This roster is not filled with great shooters, that's when Rondo is at his best.  They have pick and pop with Bass and that's about it?  Last year he had Bass, KG, Pierce and JET.  This year he has Bass?  Who is going to consistently knock down shots, whether they are good looks or not?

When you say "that's when Rondo is at his best", what are you basing that on? Can you show that Rondo's been unable to succeed without certain players on the court?

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2013, 12:02:58 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
First, he is coming off a knee injury, look at what's going on with Rose in Chicago?

Not every player recovers the same way.  And maybe some of Rose's problems are because he is mentally weaker than Rondo.
Rose also had a bad knee and hamstrings all year before his knee finally blew. His injury may have been much worse than just an ACL tear for all we know.

Plus guys just heal differently.

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2013, 12:03:32 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Last night the bobcats didnt fall for the jcraw/oly pnr

Instead of double teaming jcraw they dared him to shoot or go to the basket, olynyk was guarded tightly and you couldnt pass it the open man.

Jcraw needed to take it to the rim but he doesnt really have that skill. Pressey also doesnt. No post presence also. Good job by the cats on picking us apart.

Once sully comesback hopefully it will fix one part of the problem. But if it doesnt , we really need rondo back quick before a long losing streak may result

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2013, 12:04:48 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
There are many fans that believe Rondo is so good that he will lob the ball to mediocre players who will then slam down dunks all night.  I am not one of those who buy this.  I think Rondo is going to have a much tougher time on a weaker team.  His MO is actually to dribble around a lot because once he is off the ball, his man sags and Rondo just stands in the corner on near the basketball.

I don't think Rondo is going to play all that much better than what Crawford played though the 4 wins (I don't think Crawford will keep that up either).  Rondo will be an upgrade, no doubt and will allow either Crawford or Bradley to come off the bench, improving our depth considerably (meaning Rondo's minutes replace Pressey minutes).  I just really don't see Rondo carrying the team to another level.

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2013, 12:07:17 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
There are many fans that believe Rondo is so good that he will lob the ball to mediocre players who will then slam down dunks all night.  I am not one of those who buy this. I think Rondo is going to have a much tougher time on a weaker team.  His MO is actually to dribble around a lot because once he is off the ball, his man sags and Rondo just stands in the corner on near the basketball.

I don't think Rondo is going to play all that much better than what Crawford played though the 4 wins (I don't think Crawford will keep that up either).  Rondo will be an upgrade, no doubt and will allow either Crawford or Bradley to come off the bench, improving our depth considerably (meaning Rondo's minutes replace Pressey minutes).  I just really don't see Rondo carrying the team to another level.

Hi, I'm Chris Wilcox, former NBA basketball player for the Boston Celtics...
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2013, 12:09:10 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

When you say "that's when Rondo is at his best", what are you basing that on? Can you show that Rondo's been unable to succeed without certain players on the court?

Can you show me the pass first PG who did not have a good outside shot (though Rondo has improved on his) that was at their "best" when surrounded by at best, decent offensive players and no real outside threat?

Because lets be honest, Rondo has been blessed with good shooters and good offensive players.  That's a positive thing for a PG that plays like he does.  He hasn't ever been hampered by the beginnings of a rebuild.

Now, the team needs him to be more of an AI?  Does Rondo even have the offensive weapons that AI had when he was considered the only weapon on a team that made the finals?

(and no, I would not want an AI player instead of Rondo)

« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2013, 12:10:30 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
There are many fans that believe Rondo is so good that he will lob the ball to mediocre players who will then slam down dunks all night.  I am not one of those who buy this. I think Rondo is going to have a much tougher time on a weaker team.  His MO is actually to dribble around a lot because once he is off the ball, his man sags and Rondo just stands in the corner on near the basketball.

Who was surrounded by Rondo, Pierce, KG... such that I was the 5th option out there they ignored.  Who are option 2-thorugh 4 now that teams will leave me open?

« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2013, 12:13:56 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

Who was surrounded by Rondo, Pierce, KG... such that I was the 5th option out there they ignored.  Who are option 2-thorugh 4 now that teams will leave me open?

If we're still talking about Wilcox... I'm pretty sure he'd still be the 5th option. ;D

« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2013, 12:17:23 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Last night the bobcats didnt fall for the jcraw/oly pnr

Instead of double teaming jcraw they dared him to shoot or go to the basket, olynyk was guarded tightly and you couldnt pass it the open man.

Jcraw needed to take it to the rim but he doesnt really have that skill. Pressey also doesnt. No post presence also. Good job by the cats on picking us apart.

Once sully comesback hopefully it will fix one part of the problem. But if it doesnt , we really need rondo back quick before a long losing streak may result

« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2013, 12:29:57 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
There are many fans that believe Rondo is so good that he will lob the ball to mediocre players who will then slam down dunks all night.  I am not one of those who buy this.  I think Rondo is going to have a much tougher time on a weaker team.  His MO is actually to dribble around a lot because once he is off the ball, his man sags and Rondo just stands in the corner on near the basketball.

I agree with some of the pts made. Though rondo unlike jcraw has the ability to drive past his defender at will and either score a layup or make the pass. IF teams are smart and watch videos they will just lay off rondo and dare him to shoot. And if that doesnt fall we are in trouble(assuming everyone else is guarded tightly) plus we dont have a pp or ray allen.

We will be a better team now when rondo comesback but he prob cant us to another level. If this means we should trade him or get more help soon im just as clueless as the next fan

« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2013, 12:34:48 PM »

Offline Interceptor

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 224
Rondo can make the shot that teams will give him, i.e. the midrange. It's the free-throw shooting that he's awful at. He doesn't need to take threes to be effective at PG (see Parker, Tony).

We don't have PP or Allen, but we do have Green and Olynyk, a pair of walking mismatches waiting to score on their defender. We also have good passing big men, which is kind of neat to think about with Rondo.