Author Topic: Rondo will make this team better.  (Read 14777 times)

Rondo will make this team better.
« on: November 14, 2013, 11:08:34 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
The statement in the title of this thread seems to me like a pretty fair assumption to make.  I don't think anyone would disagree that he's our best player.  Some might disagree with this next part, but it seems to me that Danny has attempted to put together a roster, and coach Stevens is attempting to implement a system, that are perfect fits for Rajon's game. 

I'm wondering, for those who think that there's no way this team makes the playoffs:  Do you think Rondo's not coming back with a significant amount of the season still to play, or do you simply disagree that he is likely to make the team better when he does return?
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

Re: Rondo will make this team better.
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 11:11:22 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Of course he makes them better.

The better question:  Does this team help Rondo be better?

I don't think it does.  Rondo can still be good, but because of his game as a pass first PG, I don't think the team will allow him to be great.  He needs better weapons.

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 11:12:46 AM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

I don't think it does.  Rondo can still be good, but because of his game as a pass first PG, I don't think the team will allow him to be great.  He needs better weapons.

Disagree completely with your assessment.

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 11:15:54 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Why?   Who is the good (I am not even looking for great at the moment) offensive player that gets even better with Rondo?   Who are the spot up shooter to make teams pay when Rondo penetrates?  (or at least spreads the floor)

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 11:16:13 AM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145

I think he'll miss too much of the season to make an impact...enough of an impact to make the playoffs anyway.

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 11:19:23 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

what part do you disagree with?  That Rondo can still be good or that he needs better weapons?  I can't see how that's not an easy statement to support.

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 11:20:33 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

Why?   Who is the good (I am not even looking for great at the moment) offensive player that gets even better with Rondo?   Who are the spot up shooter to make teams pay when Rondo penetrates?  (or at least spreads the floor)

What makes the good or great offensive players good or great is that they can create offense by themselves.  Rondo doesn't need a bunch of guys around him who can do that.  He needs guys who can hit shots when they are given open looks.  We have those guys.  They aren't stars with the ball in their hands, but with Rondo setting everybody up, they will all look better, which in turn will make the team better, which in turn will make Rondo look better. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 11:24:09 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

What makes the good or great offensive players good or great is that they can create offense by themselves.  Rondo doesn't need a bunch of guys around him who can do that.  He needs guys who can hit shots when they are given open looks.  We have those guys.  They aren't stars with the ball in their hands, but with Rondo setting everybody up, they will all look better, which in turn will make the team better, which in turn will make Rondo look better.

A good offensive player does not have to make his own play with the ball to make a basket.

For example, Reggie Miller (or Rip Hamilton)

Moved without the ball to get open.  Had a great passing PG in Mark Jackson when knew how to get the ball to him at the exact time needed to hit the open shot. 

And both PGs pulled defenses inside.  Rondo with his penetration and Jackson with his post up. 

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2013, 11:28:39 AM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
my thoughts - and I preface this by saying Rondo is a great player one of the handful best play makers in the NBA but he is not going to make this team much better than it is right now.  First, he is coming off a knee injury, look at what's going on with Rose in Chicago?  There is a reason people say it takes a year of playing before you get back to the level you were at before the injury.  2nd he was surrounded by two sometimes three HOF's who were great shooters.  He doesn't have any of that now.  Too think that Rondo is going to come back after taking 10-12 months off from playing professional basketball and be the same guy is just unrealistic and unfair. 

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2013, 11:29:42 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

I think teammates such as Gerald Wallace might make it harder for Rondo to take plays off on defense, while players such as Pressey and Crawford may allow Rondo to go all-out instead of trying to conserve energy for the fourth quarter.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2013, 11:30:55 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
First, he is coming off a knee injury, look at what's going on with Rose in Chicago?

Not every player recovers the same way.  And maybe some of Rose's problems are because he is mentally weaker than Rondo.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2013, 11:31:09 AM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
my thoughts - and I preface this by saying Rondo is a great player one of the handful best play makers in the NBA but he is not going to make this team much better than it is right now.  First, he is coming off a knee injury, look at what's going on with Rose in Chicago?  There is a reason people say it takes a year of playing before you get back to the level you were at before the injury.  2nd he was surrounded by two sometimes three HOF's who were great shooters.  He doesn't have any of that now.  Too think that Rondo is going to come back after taking 10-12 months off from playing professional basketball and be the same guy is just unrealistic and unfair.

On the other hand, Rondo is eager to play, playing 3 on 3 for example without being cleared by the doctors, while Rose was afraid to even practice even after getting the go ahead by the doctors...

Different set of circumstances, injury, mental make-up, and players.

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2013, 11:35:49 AM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
I agree - but a torn ACL is a torn ACL just because he wants to play doesn't mean he is physically capable of playing at the same level?  For Rondo to make this team better he would have to hit the ground at an Elite level right out of the gate.  It's one thing if this was 2008 or 2009 when he had a healthy KG, Ray and Pierce to carry the load until he got his legs underneath him?  But with this roster he would have to play at a MVP level to make this team better and I think that is unrealistic....at least this year.  Now, 2014 it's possible...

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2013, 11:40:06 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Yes.  Everyone remember this.

Not everyone is Adrian Peterson.  Peterson is some sort of freak of nature being able to do what he did off that injury. 

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2013, 11:42:51 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Yes he will help, he don't have to play old man ball now and can run.   I think we will see a side to Rondo that trumps what we have seen before.