Author Topic: Matt Barnes is a punk  (Read 10742 times)

Re: Matt Barnes is a punk
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2013, 01:11:48 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Haha. The NBA's not so dirty little not so secret: Nonody wants a fight.

Nor should they.  I prefer the NBA sans fighting, to be honest. 

If folks want to see punches thrown, they can always tune into that other sport where grown men skate around with sticks and occasionally punch each other in the face.

I think a lot of guys feel that way. I personally do not. I also can spend an entire Sunday watching youtube videos of NBA fights from the 80s. Larry Bird is in a few of them..although I bet he agrees with you now more then me.

Same.

If these guys started throwing punches on a regular basis, it would get ugly for the image of the league.  I suspect that there are a lot of folks out there who already think that large, tattooed, black men who earn a lot of money and play basketball for a living are "punks" or "thugs"  by nature.

For me, I have no desire to see that stereotype re-enforced by seeing NBA players getting into fist fights.  To me, the game of basketball doesn't need that in any way, shape, or form.

Luckily, for you guys, you'll always have your '80s NBA fight compilations on YouTube.

I think that's probably the view of lots of the guys who run the league. Probably really sound too. But for me as a consumer, Id rather see a brawl once and a while. Baseball gets them , hockey gets them, football gets them, but not basketball. Not fair.

Life's not fair, but at least you can console yourself with the fact that when you watch a basketball game, you actually get to watch a game that's enjoyable to watch. 

You don't need to wait for a fight to break out to make it worthwhile.

Would rather see a punch every once in a while than the same old slam dunks on sports center.

We are supposed to be impressed by these guys dunking who are 2 feet taller than us. SWEET!

I've got nothing against a nice dunk, but I generally get more excited by plays like a sweet back door pass for an easy lay in, or a great defensive hustle play that leads to an easy transition bucket. 

I'm definitely not much of a fan of the way ESPN markets the game of basketball, though.  I'm in agreement with you there.   

DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2013, 01:37:52 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Plus, very few people in the NBA know how to fight.  (similar to offensive line men in the NFL)

So many of them grew up being the biggest kid in the area, no one really wanted to get into a fight with them anyways.
You're the second person to say this but I think, fighting skills or not, these fights would get brutal if we let them happen.  Regardless of form or technique, it would be the best athletes in the world with no helmets and no gloves.

It might look like a bunch of 5 year olds punching each other, which likely wouldn't get out of control, but give those 5 year olds spiked knuckles and they can do damage even if they don't know how.

This isn't hockey, where fighting isn't so much fighting as it's a display of balance, and the lack of traction keeps guys truly wailing on each other.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2013, 03:17:58 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
This isn't hockey, where fighting isn't so much fighting as it's a display of balance, and the lack of traction keeps guys truly wailing on each other.
I never understood that part of hockey. Football has a lot more and more violent contact, and there's no need for fisticuffs to keep the opponent in check. Meh.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2013, 03:39:05 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Plus, very few people in the NBA know how to fight.  (similar to offensive line men in the NFL)

So many of them grew up being the biggest kid in the area, no one really wanted to get into a fight with them anyways.
You're the second person to say this but I think, fighting skills or not, these fights would get brutal if we let them happen.  Regardless of form or technique, it would be the best athletes in the world with no helmets and no gloves.

It might look like a bunch of 5 year olds punching each other, which likely wouldn't get out of control, but give those 5 year olds spiked knuckles and they can do damage even if they don't know how.

But that's not what happens.  You usually end up seeing two really big guy dancing with each other. 

Yeah, if they were to throw a lot of punches, it would do lots of damage.  But they have never had to.

And a little guy who knew how to fight wouldn't likely beat the really large guy either.

« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2013, 04:35:07 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/11/14/serge-ibaka-and-matt-barnes-ejected-after-altercation-involving-blake-griffin-video/

If you watch the video, Ibaka has a perfect right cross opportunity when he gets back in Barnes face, even had fist raised, but thought better of it.
I remember seeing Ibaka with a fist raised and I'm pretty sure that when he looked into Barnes' grinning face, he thought "that's not the face of a man who is afraid of being punched in the face" he saw Barnes internally saying "please hit me, i hope to god that you hit me and then are out of the league for 15 games for it"
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2013, 04:36:51 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
I don't know if I'm watching the correct video, but from what I'm seeing I have ZERO problem with what Barnes did. Ibaka began it with pushing Griffin on the back, Barnes hit back to protect him.

We used to be prideful of having players like that around here, doing this exact sort of thing.

Not that I don't think Barnes is a punk, but in this case, I don't get the whole hoopla going after Barnes' head.

No, Griffin began it by clenching Ibaka's arm and not letting it go.  Watch it again, it's a commonly used under-handed tactic in the NBA these days.  Used purely to frustrate opponents while looking very innocent in the process.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2013, 11:01:53 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
Oh, there's also the part with the since-deleted Barnes tweet:

I love my teammates like family, but I’m DONE standing up for these [N-word]! All this [expletive] does is cost me money..

Oh boy.
I don't get it. What does he mean?

« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2013, 11:11:31 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I don't know if I'm watching the correct video, but from what I'm seeing I have ZERO problem with what Barnes did. Ibaka began it with pushing Griffin on the back, Barnes hit back to protect him.

We used to be prideful of having players like that around here, doing this exact sort of thing.

Not that I don't think Barnes is a punk, but in this case, I don't get the whole hoopla going after Barnes' head.

No, Griffin began it by clenching Ibaka's arm and not letting it go.  Watch it again, it's a commonly used under-handed tactic in the NBA these days.  Used purely to frustrate opponents while looking very innocent in the process.

Meh, Ibaka could've easily pulled his hand instead of trying to shove Griffin away like he did.

In any case, whether Ibaka or Griffin started it, from Barnes POV he saw his star teammate getting shoved from the back... so the point stands on the same merit, and honestly if that was KG protecting Pierce or Posey protecting Rondo or such, we'd be applauding how good teammates they are, and how they add toughness to our team.

So in this instance, sorry but I'm not biting on the Barnes hate... though he's done a number of punk moves in the past, but this really wasn't one of it.

« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2013, 11:21:15 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Meh, Ibaka could've easily pulled his hand instead of trying to shove Griffin away like he did.

In any case, whether Ibaka or Griffin started it, from Barnes POV he saw his star teammate getting shoved from the back... so the point stands on the same merit, and honestly if that was KG protecting Pierce or Posey protecting Rondo or such, we'd be applauding how good teammates they are, and how they add toughness to our team.

So in this instance, sorry but I'm not biting on the Barnes hate... though he's done a number of punk moves in the past, but this really wasn't one of it.

I don't think what Ibaka did here was unwarranted, Griffin was for some reason pinning his arm. But like you I cap so have no issue with what Barnes did.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2013, 11:24:13 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

I don't think what Ibaka did here was unwarranted, Griffin was for some reason pinning his arm. But like you I cap so have no issue with what Barnes did.

I don't think it was unwarranted either, just unnecessary, but if you see an opposing player doing this to your star player, regardless of the circumstances that led to it, chances are that some form of retaliation is going to happen... it just happened it was Barnes there. And it looked like Griffin was going to get on it, whether Barnes got involved or not.

« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2013, 11:25:58 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
LA Floppers and bunch of actresses.

Ibaka would've showed Griffin wuzzup. Barnes ain't got anything on Ibaka either.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2013, 11:28:34 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5349
  • Thumper of the BASS!
anybody who put they hands on a woman is a punk
so barnes is that

« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2013, 11:47:24 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Oh, there's also the part with the since-deleted Barnes tweet:

I love my teammates like family, but I’m DONE standing up for these [N-word]! All this [expletive] does is cost me money..

Oh boy.

It's okay, Barnes is half-black, not merely an honorary black like Richie Incognito.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2013, 12:54:04 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
anybody who put they hands on a woman is a punk
so barnes is that

I agree.

I don't see many people using the term when we're talking about our own players, though.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2013, 01:01:51 AM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
I've disliked Barnes for some time now. Always looking to start something. Kobe punked him out a few years ago when he was with Orlando. Same with Pierce. He always trys to get under the teams best players skin. And he just comes out looking like an idiot every time.