Author Topic: Asik requests trade  (Read 13515 times)

Re: Asik requests trade
« Reply #60 on: November 15, 2013, 07:00:23 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
If Ainge wanted a good (not great) center, don't you think he would have acquired him by now? I mean, players like Gortat, Okafor, Jordan, Hawes, Blatche, etc have been floating around for a while and it doesn't seem like we would have had to give up the farm for any of them.

I think you are vastly underestimating Asik if you are placing him on the same tier as those names.

Asik was second in total rebounding percentage last season and might single-handedly turn the Celtics into at least an average rebounding team.  He is a very good defensive center who is in the Dwight Howard/Kevin Love tier of rebounders.
He is exactly in the same tier as those names, as he is only a factor on one end of the court. You may choose to value defense more than offense and shooting, but that's a completely different story.

Also, a healthy Okafor is head and shoulders above all other names listed in this post.

The point is, he has elite-level defense and elite-level rebounding.  He's much closer in value to a healthy Tyson Chandler (a guy who is only slightly more useful than Asik on offense)  than any of the guys who were named.  (Or do you lump Chandler in with Blatche and Gortat?)
Chandler was a considerably more useful offensive player before he started going downhill in recent years. He can score a bit within 10 feet of the basket, and even showed a jump shot in Dallas' championship season. Also, he's a 70% free throw shooter.

Asik has zero offensive skills unless we're talking a dunk or a layup, and all of his scoring comes at the rim. He also hovers around the mid-50% from the free throw line. Also, you're not going to see this in the box score, but he's widely known to have hands of stone.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't find him as close to Chandler in value as you do. And I don't even like Chandler that much.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #61 on: November 15, 2013, 07:41:01 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
I posted this elsewhere, but it's germane here as well:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--rockets-have-talked-to-multiple-teams-about-trading-disgruntled-center-omer-asik-230322619.html

The Houston Rockets are engaged in trade talks with multiple teams on Omer Asik, but the asking price of Daryl Morey has been far too high for a deal to get completed.

Asik's agent has been in regular contact with Morey about facilitating a trade.

The Rockets are seeking an impact frontcourt player that can help them in the short-term, or a largely unprotected first-round pick in the 2014 NBA Draft.

A deal involving Asik is unlikely to be consummated before December 15 when players signed in the offseason become eligible for trades.

The Rockets are interested in trading Asik to the New Orleans Pelicans for Ryan Anderson. Anderson previously played with Dwight Howard during their time together with the Orlando Magic.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #62 on: November 15, 2013, 07:54:47 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I posted this elsewhere, but it's germane here as well:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--rockets-have-talked-to-multiple-teams-about-trading-disgruntled-center-omer-asik-230322619.html

The Houston Rockets are engaged in trade talks with multiple teams on Omer Asik, but the asking price of Daryl Morey has been far too high for a deal to get completed.

Asik's agent has been in regular contact with Morey about facilitating a trade.

The Rockets are seeking an impact frontcourt player that can help them in the short-term, or a largely unprotected first-round pick in the 2014 NBA Draft.

A deal involving Asik is unlikely to be consummated before December 15 when players signed in the offseason become eligible for trades.

The Rockets are interested in trading Asik to the New Orleans Pelicans for Ryan Anderson. Anderson previously played with Dwight Howard during their time together with the Orlando Magic.

Ryan Anderson is exactly the level and type of player I would expect Asik to be traded for.  The problem is, unless the Pelicans plan to roll out a guy like Amundson for their pf, I am not sure it works for them. Do they really like Davis at pf? I thought he was more widely viewed as a center. With Asik there, wouldn't the same problem arise?

I guess they could always go for a three-way deal with Asik going to ?

« Reply #63 on: November 15, 2013, 09:20:09 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Asik for Ryan Anderson seems like a viable trade to me.  I think Anthony Davis at PF would be just fine along side Asik.  He would be a PF like Duncan or KG.  I don't see any problem with that.

I don't think Anderson has played yet this year though so this trade certainly won't go down until he back on the court and playing well.

« Reply #64 on: November 15, 2013, 11:27:21 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
What's so special about Asik?  Didn't he have one ok season?  Isn't he absurdly overpaid?   He's a good defender and rebounds, right?  I guess trading Bass for him would make some sense.  Sully's probably our starting PF heading forward.

Really though I'm not interested.  The prospect doesn't excite me at all.  Doesn't fit into a proper tanking.