Author Topic: Nets may need a new coach....Again  (Read 9867 times)

Re: Nets may need a new coach....Again
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2013, 03:05:36 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
Which reminds me, are our Nets pics anything-protected?
Nope! Apparently we have to give them a protected second-rounder if we swap firsts in 2017, but that's it.
Oy vey. This trade may end up being a daylight robbery if the Nets end up imploding  this season (which is not out of the question).

I really feel they only have a ~2 year window, given their age.

I was saying that at the time of the trade, and people didn't want to hear it.  Even if the Nets were to perform up to expectations this year, they're reliant on Pierce, KG, and Joe Johnson, and don't have the ability to add cheap young talent via draft picks.  Billionaire owner or not, they may blow up and not be able to do much about it.

Without picks, the Nets should be in quicksand for the next 3 years. The pick that should be gold, is the 2016 first rounder. Garnett will have retired. Maybe Pierce will have retired as well. Johnson and Williams will continue to erode. After that year, all the big salaries start coming off the books, and who knows what direction they go in free agency. The 2017 pick (vis swap) and 2018 pick are totally unpredictable.

It is sad to see PP and KG not in green, but, wow! Those picks are gonna be very valuable.

i agree, but would add that the 2015 may very well be valuable as well. given the state of the nets NOW, i dont think the next few years with KG and pierce will improve the team.

at this stage of the rebuild, any and all assets are welcome. the nets may have provided the celtics with some good ones....on top of their own picks.

now if only the clippers would totally bottom out next year.... :D

The Celtics dont own the Nets 2015 pick, nor have swap rights. The Celts will be getting that one from the Clippers.

Yeah, I would not mind a big injury to a Clipper star in the 2014-15 season.  :)

« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2013, 03:47:09 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
Another technical question: if we swap picks in 2017, do we lose their 2018 pick or have any other repercussions?  I know teams can't trade firsts in consecutive years and I was wondering if that somehow protected their 2018 pick if we optioned the '17er.

« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2013, 03:58:30 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Another technical question: if we swap picks in 2017, do we lose their 2018 pick or have any other repercussions?  I know teams can't trade firsts in consecutive years and I was wondering if that somehow protected their 2018 pick if we optioned the '17er.

When you swap picks in one year, it is considered that you still have your 1st rounder that year.

« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2013, 04:12:23 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
The Stepien rule doesn't require that you have your first-round pick at least every other year, just that you have any first-round pick.  Another team's pick still counts as having one.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2013, 04:40:19 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
So I know it's still so early in the season but the Nets look horrendous. And I know that people are saying that the Heat didn't look too good when they first started playing together (made the finals that year) but from watching Brooklyn the past couple games I realize that it's more than just chemistry issues. They're getting absolutely abused in transition, in pick n rolls, and the guards are just making awful decisions on offense (All of those things bring in to question Kidd's coaching abilities). Part of the problem is that Brook Lopez and Deron Williams are soft as baby crap. Garnett and Pierce need to be playing with guys who can be enforcers since at this stage in their careers their bodies can't handle being in that role.

I think you've answered your own question twice.

1 - Look at the Miami Heat, as you pointed out.  Also look at how Garnett and Pierce have played in previous regular seasons and then stepped up their games to new levels in postseason play.  You are not seeing the Nets best basketball right now.  And the Nets are very aware of it.

2 - I don't see how you can attribute the softness of Deron Williams or Brook Lopez to Jason Kidd.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur