Author Topic: Idea: BOS / CHA / HOU Trade  (Read 6376 times)

Re: Idea: BOS / CHA / HOU Trade
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2013, 03:26:45 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2013, 04:59:28 PM »

fitzhickey

I like it. It's a good trade.

Houston get the biggest upgrade. Sessions is just as good as Lin and Bass is a big upgrade over Greg Smith. Swap backup PGs and trade in a third string C for someone who will likely start at PF for them. Fill that PF spot without losing Asik.

Charlotte swap backup PGs for a PG with some perceived star potential and marketing opportunities. Brendan Haywood is irrelevant. Jeff Taylor is a good backup SF. I wonder if they'd be willing to give up Taylor. That may be a sticking point. But maybe not. Depends how high they are on J.Lin.

Boston gets to dump Bass' contract and gets a good player back in Jeff Taylor. Win-win. Brendan Haywood is irrelevant. I don't think he'd be able to beat out Faverani for minutes at this point in his career. Greg Smith gives them another young big to work with. Decent prospect. Shown some nice offensive potential but lacks defense.

I don't think Bass starts ahead of the Rockets' current starting PF - Dwight Howard.
I think he means Howard slides back to C

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2013, 10:39:27 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
I like it. It's a good trade.

Houston get the biggest upgrade. Sessions is just as good as Lin and Bass is a big upgrade over Greg Smith. Swap backup PGs and trade in a third string C for someone who will likely start at PF for them. Fill that PF spot without losing Asik.

Charlotte swap backup PGs for a PG with some perceived star potential and marketing opportunities. Brendan Haywood is irrelevant. Jeff Taylor is a good backup SF. I wonder if they'd be willing to give up Taylor. That may be a sticking point. But maybe not. Depends how high they are on J.Lin.

Boston gets to dump Bass' contract and gets a good player back in Jeff Taylor. Win-win. Brendan Haywood is irrelevant. I don't think he'd be able to beat out Faverani for minutes at this point in his career. Greg Smith gives them another young big to work with. Decent prospect. Shown some nice offensive potential but lacks defense.

I don't think Bass starts ahead of the Rockets' current starting PF - Dwight Howard.
I think he means Howard slides back to C

Precisely. It's a nice rotation upgrade for them in the frontcourt, not to mention Bass' success playing with Dwight in the past.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2013, 05:01:12 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
I don't think my original idea flies -- in part because Lin is playing too well, and in part because the Rockets are clearly going to trade Asik first.

I do wonder whether these three teams could still have a fit based on this. Something like:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=k6vbtu5

CHA gets: Asik
BOS gets: Hayward, Jeff Taylor, Greg Smith
HOU gets: Bass, Biyombo, a 2015 1st Round Pick (whichever is lower the Clips or the Cs)

I don't think it's an obvious deal for the Bobcats, but I do think it's interesting. Big Al and Asik next to each other might be tricky, but it would sure improve Charlotte's defense, and take a little pressure off Zeller over the next two seasons. MJ does seem to want to 'win now', and with Sessions and Gordon coming off their books this summer, they can afford the balloon payment in Asik's deal.

I'll take grief for offering up a 1st round pick, but I very much like both Smith and Taylor. Basically, I'd rather have the two of them than Bass and a pick in the 20s in 2015. If you don't like those players, you won't like it for the Cs.

I think Morey would be pretty intrigued by this. Bass is steady at a thin position, Biyombo could a nasty defensive addition if used properly, and Morey loves picks...

=============================================================

Footnote: The Cs attempt to trade Marshon Brooks to the Grizzlies for one of their many trade exceptions plus change (ala Fab Melo deal) beforehand to make room for the added players. If not they just cut him. Either way, the Cs get a little breathing room under the lux tax here, which they could use in a later trade, or to use the Pierce trade exception on a player in the $3-4mil salary range.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 05:11:52 PM by ssspence »
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2013, 06:18:12 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
One of the better trade proposals on here in awhile
BUT to me Houston is sooooo deep they look like a team that could win it all this year.  Why get rid of lin?  There 3rd string pg is brooks!  I'm thinking houston can sit back and wait for the best deals coming up.  They have the asik chip just sitting.  Asik and brooks (we could use him, not that i like him) could bring them back something pretty good right off the bat

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2013, 06:25:31 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
One of the better trade proposals on here in awhile
BUT to me Houston is sooooo deep they look like a team that could win it all this year.  Why get rid of lin?  There 3rd string pg is brooks!  I'm thinking houston can sit back and wait for the best deals coming up.  They have the asik chip just sitting.  Asik and brooks (we could use him, not that i like him) could bring them back something pretty good right off the bat

I don't think Houston is going to trade Lin -- he looks great right now. He's a nice fit with Howard.

I adjusted above, swapping in Asik for Lin. Take a look.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)