Author Topic: Idea: BOS / CHA / HOU Trade  (Read 6372 times)

Idea: BOS / CHA / HOU Trade
« on: November 10, 2013, 08:52:36 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Really like this for all teams...

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=n7mkfmn

Cs get: Brandon Haywood, Greg Smith, Jeffrey Taylor
Rockets get: B Bass, Ramon Sessions
Bobcats get: Jeremy Lin

A couple of points here, outside of the obvious ones:

1) I get two of my major binkies: Greg Smith and Jeff Taylor. Really like who both of these players could become on a contenting team in a few years -- Smith in particular.

2) The deal shaves about $3mil off the Cs payroll this season, which opens up some options for other trades, or use of the PP trade exception for a player making ~$3mil. Maybe a young player not panning out for whatever reason (think Thomas Robinson situation last season).

3) The Cs waive Marshon Brooks to make room for the players acquired. I'd say there's a fairly good chance someone takes a chance on him in the waiver wire, which would free up some more space this year (see #2 above).

4) Brandon Hayward's contract is non-guaranteed after next season, so he's a pretty tradable asset as a throw in on a deal to a contender.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

Re: Idea: BOS / CHA / HOU Trade
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 09:12:31 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I don't think there's enough of a return here for the Rockets to make it worth shaking things up.

Also I'm not sure why the Bobcats would care about getting Lin when they already have Kemba.

It's an interesting idea, though.  I like the way you're thinking -- the Celtics should try to find ways to add players like Smith and Taylor.  Not blue chip prospects by any means, but young guys who could turn into valuable role players.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 11:22:37 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
I don't think there's enough of a return here for the Rockets to make it worth shaking things up.

Also I'm not sure why the Bobcats would care about getting Lin when they already have Kemba.

It's an interesting idea, though.  I like the way you're thinking -- the Celtics should try to find ways to add players like Smith and Taylor.  Not blue chip prospects by any means, but young guys who could turn into valuable role players.

Big upgrade for the Rockets, IMO. And Lin is out of place there (next to Harden).

For Charlotte, offense and money. Lin's a great fit as a 6th man there -- he'll run the pick and roll nicely with Al. And Lin comes with some pretty nice revenue opportunities as well... I'm sure the Hor-cats could use 'em. Not to mention they give up very little.

As for Smith, I think his ceiling is higher than most.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 11:43:47 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I like it. It's a good trade.

Houston get the biggest upgrade. Sessions is just as good as Lin and Bass is a big upgrade over Greg Smith. Swap backup PGs and trade in a third string C for someone who will likely start at PF for them. Fill that PF spot without losing Asik.

Charlotte swap backup PGs for a PG with some perceived star potential and marketing opportunities. Brendan Haywood is irrelevant. Jeff Taylor is a good backup SF. I wonder if they'd be willing to give up Taylor. That may be a sticking point. But maybe not. Depends how high they are on J.Lin.

Boston gets to dump Bass' contract and gets a good player back in Jeff Taylor. Win-win. Brendan Haywood is irrelevant. I don't think he'd be able to beat out Faverani for minutes at this point in his career. Greg Smith gives them another young big to work with. Decent prospect. Shown some nice offensive potential but lacks defense.

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2013, 11:50:19 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
The trade seems to work for all teams.

I'm just not sure if the Rockets would be willing to give up Lin and Greg Smith for just Bass alone.

Edit. They are getting Ramon Sessions, so never mind.

Great trade. Here's hoping all three GM's are reading this.

2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2013, 11:57:43 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
I don't see Charlotte doing it. Paying Lin $9mill a season to come off the bench when Sessions makes half that and is already a better player IMO.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2013, 12:01:45 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
Meh. There's no reason for Charlotte to pay a ton of money to have a poor man's Kemba back up actual Kemba.

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2013, 04:51:44 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
I think we and/or Houston would have to include a first rounder or two for Charlotte to do this.  I live about 30 miles from their arena and they really like Jeff Taylor.

Smitty77

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2013, 11:58:44 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
I think we and/or Houston would have to include a first rounder or two for Charlotte to do this.  I live about 30 miles from their arena and they really like Jeff Taylor.

Smitty77

I agree it may be difficult to pry Taylor away from Charlotte -- this is the biggest weakness of the trade idea. I'd certainly be willing to add a protected first if it meant the Cs got both Smith and Taylor.

Depending on Ainge's thinking, I believe there's also a version of this deal that includes Jeff Green going to Charlotte that makes sense. I avoided posting it considering I assume folks are a little drunk on Green right now after his game winner in our last game.

It looks like this:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=q55as3n

Charlotte gets: Jeff Green, Jeremy Lin, Marshon Brooks
Houston Gets: B Bass, Ramon Sessions
Boston gets: Ben Gordon, Greg Smith, Jeff Taylor, Houston's 2014 1st
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2013, 12:04:09 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Meh. There's no reason for Charlotte to pay a ton of money to have a poor man's Kemba back up actual Kemba.

Pretty much. Kemba quietly had a really solid season last year.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2013, 12:21:29 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

I don't think the deal is a reflection on Kemba, who is a very good player now.

Charlotte wants to get relevant NOW, needs better depth in their rotation, and Lin's deal is not prohibitive at all (particularly considering he brings in more revenue than the average player).
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2013, 12:26:20 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Charlotte wants to get relevant NOW, needs better depth in their rotation, and Lin's deal is not prohibitive at all (particularly considering he brings in more revenue than the average player).

Not that I doubt your accuracy (I agree with your premise, actually), but do you have any sources on player-generated advertising revenue beyond, say, jersey sales?
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2013, 12:44:09 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

Not that I doubt your accuracy (I agree with your premise, actually), but do you have any sources on player-generated advertising revenue beyond, say, jersey sales?

I have not done my homework there, no. But, I'd venture to guess that Lin merchandise sales in China alone would make up a pretty nice chuck.

that said, a team desparate enough to commit $35-40mil to Desagna Diop or Matt Carroll probably isn't going to get its pants in a bunch paying Jeremy Lin $13-14 over 1.5 seasons.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2013, 12:48:43 PM »

Offline celtsrp33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 281
Owner of Make Me Some Bacon in CB FBB points and H2H leagues.

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2013, 12:58:45 PM »

Offline Section301

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 26
  • Yum
I like it. It's a good trade.

Houston get the biggest upgrade. Sessions is just as good as Lin and Bass is a big upgrade over Greg Smith. Swap backup PGs and trade in a third string C for someone who will likely start at PF for them. Fill that PF spot without losing Asik.

Charlotte swap backup PGs for a PG with some perceived star potential and marketing opportunities. Brendan Haywood is irrelevant. Jeff Taylor is a good backup SF. I wonder if they'd be willing to give up Taylor. That may be a sticking point. But maybe not. Depends how high they are on J.Lin.

Boston gets to dump Bass' contract and gets a good player back in Jeff Taylor. Win-win. Brendan Haywood is irrelevant. I don't think he'd be able to beat out Faverani for minutes at this point in his career. Greg Smith gives them another young big to work with. Decent prospect. Shown some nice offensive potential but lacks defense.

I don't think Bass starts ahead of the Rockets' current starting PF - Dwight Howard. 
Good food, like good music and good love, always requires a little sweat in the making in order for it to be truly memorable.