Author Topic: OMG, the Nets stink  (Read 31230 times)

Re: OMG, the Nets stink
« Reply #105 on: November 12, 2013, 05:53:17 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I didn't say that being in MVP discussion makes you clearly better than anybody not in MVP discussion.

He might have been seen as on the level of CP3 in 06-07 but that's not the same as being 1A-1B for best point guard in the league, Steve Nash would have been widely seen as the best in the league.

You went on to defend that Nash was CLEARLY better than Williams and Paul because he was an MVP candidate and they weren't.  You also added the fact that Paul was clearly better Williams the year after that given evidence that Paul was an MVP candidate and Williams wasn't.  This is obviously one of your views.

I didn't say that Nash and Paul were better than Williams *because* they were mvp candidates, I said they were better than Williams *when* they were mvp candidates.

I'd also disagree with the claim that nobody considered him to be a better player than those guys, obviously the opposite is true. I think you'd have a hard time defending the notion that *none* of the people that voted for him for MVP thought he was the best player in the league, especially those who voted for him 2-3 years in a row.
Which is the crux of the issue.  People voting for MVP aren't exactly voting the best player in the league (as you can see by previous winners).

You can't really look at the winners and declare that none of the people voting for mvp winners thought that player was the best in the league. You can easily argue that Nash wasn't the best player in the league when he won back to back mvps and finished second the following year. You can't make a realistic argument that none of the people who voted for him those years (including people who voted for him all three years) thought he was the best player in the league. In fact if you were following the league closely enough at the time you probably saw at least an article or two from voters claiming that he was the best player in the league.

« Reply #106 on: November 12, 2013, 06:18:11 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
I guess I should clarify.

Steve Nash is a bit of an outlier, because he's always had that "doesn't play defense" knock on him, as well as his injury history.

There's a reason for that.  Los Nash makes Dan Dickau look like Gary Payton....And he clearly plays when he feels like playing of late.

« Reply #107 on: November 12, 2013, 06:36:12 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I guess I should clarify.

Steve Nash is a bit of an outlier, because he's always had that "doesn't play defense" knock on him, as well as his injury history.

There's a reason for that.  Los Nash makes Dan Dickau look like Gary Payton....And he clearly plays when he feels like playing of late.

I don't agree with the last part at all.  His body is completely failing due to age.  It's kind of unbelievable he doesn't just retire right now but I think that's coming in season.

Turns out recurring nerve damage isn't "clearly playing when he feels like".
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 06:45:16 PM by Snakehead »
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #108 on: November 12, 2013, 08:59:21 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

I didn't say that being in MVP discussion makes you clearly better than anybody not in MVP discussion.

He might have been seen as on the level of CP3 in 06-07 but that's not the same as being 1A-1B for best point guard in the league, Steve Nash would have been widely seen as the best in the league.

You went on to defend that Nash was CLEARLY better than Williams and Paul because he was an MVP candidate and they weren't.  You also added the fact that Paul was clearly better Williams the year after that given evidence that Paul was an MVP candidate and Williams wasn't.  This is obviously one of your views.

I didn't say that Nash and Paul were better than Williams *because* they were mvp candidates, I said they were better than Williams *when* they were mvp candidates.

I'd also disagree with the claim that nobody considered him to be a better player than those guys, obviously the opposite is true. I think you'd have a hard time defending the notion that *none* of the people that voted for him for MVP thought he was the best player in the league, especially those who voted for him 2-3 years in a row.
Which is the crux of the issue.  People voting for MVP aren't exactly voting the best player in the league (as you can see by previous winners).

You can't really look at the winners and declare that none of the people voting for mvp winners thought that player was the best in the league. You can easily argue that Nash wasn't the best player in the league when he won back to back mvps and finished second the following year. You can't make a realistic argument that none of the people who voted for him those years (including people who voted for him all three years) thought he was the best player in the league. In fact if you were following the league closely enough at the time you probably saw at least an article or two from voters claiming that he was the best player in the league.
I never made those arguments.  I said:

I don't think anybody would say he was clearly a better player than those guys in 06-07.

I'm focusing on your use of the term "clearly."  Your MVP voting results don't prove that Nash was CLEARLY better than LeBron, Wade, and KG.  Some might have said he was better, less might have said he wasn't, but probably nobody you ask would say it was black and white like you're suggesting.

I never said none of the people who voted for him thought he was the best player in the league.  I'm saying MVP results don't list the best players in order, let alone are they anything close to "clear."  Most of this thread has been you putting words in people's mouths.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 09:05:21 PM by mgent »
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #109 on: November 12, 2013, 09:52:48 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
Paul is playing OK but got to feel for KG the way things are going so far. Am sure he will come around. Paul is a survivor. KG is a little more temperamental.

« Reply #110 on: November 12, 2013, 10:30:54 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I don't think anybody would say he was clearly a better player than those guys in 06-07.

I'm focusing on your use of the term "clearly."  Your MVP voting results don't prove that Nash was CLEARLY better than LeBron, Wade, and KG.  Some might have said he was better, less might have said he wasn't, but probably nobody you ask would say it was black and white like you're suggesting.

For the record, you're focusing on *your* use of the term "clearly", not mine. You quoted yourself and you're attributing the quote to me.

I never said none of the people who voted for him thought he was the best player in the league.  I'm saying MVP results don't list the best players in order, let alone are they anything close to "clear."  Most of this thread has been you putting words in people's mouths.

To summarize, you first said "I don't think anybody would say he was clearly a better player than those guys in 06-07". You then said "I never said none of the people who voted for him thought he was the best player in the league". You then accuse me of putting words in your mouth. Which words were those? Your original statement, or your denial of that statement? I can't wait to hear how none of the people who thought he was the best player in the league thought he was clearly better than the other players.

« Reply #111 on: November 13, 2013, 09:43:44 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

For the record, you're focusing on *your* use of the term "clearly", not mine. You quoted yourself and you're attributing the quote to me.

To summarize, you first said "I don't think anybody would say he was clearly a better player than those guys in 06-07". You then said "I never said none of the people who voted for him thought he was the best player in the league". You then accuse me of putting words in your mouth. Which words were those? Your original statement, or your denial of that statement? I can't wait to hear how none of the people who thought he was the best player in the league thought he was clearly better than the other players.
HELLO!  You said it first and I was responding to it.

Being seen as the same or better than CP is meaningless when there's a pg (Nash) that's clearly better than either of them.

You then went on to defend that with MVP voting results.  Sound familiar?  I think I've ALREADY had to repost that quote because you just completely ignore what is said.

In fact, this is like the 6th time I've had to go back and remind you what you or I wrote.  It's right there in clear print.  Wake up.

And what part about this don't you understand:  Just because people voted for Nash for MVP over LeBron, KG, and world champion Wade (plus others) doesn't mean he's CLEARLY a better player than them, or that they even thought that.  It's not required for a player to be HANDS-DOWN the best player to receive an MVP vote.  I can't believe you're still arguing this.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #112 on: November 13, 2013, 09:49:10 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Locking this thread as its way off topic. Nets struggles and status will have to be in a new thread.