Author Topic: 2013-14 Regular Season  (Read 202873 times)

Re: 2013-14 Regular Season
« Reply #75 on: November 03, 2013, 12:00:16 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Anthony Davis

Game 1 = 20 points, 12 rebounds, 3 blocks
Game 2 = 26 points, 17 rebounds, 3 blocks
Game 3 = 25 points, 8 rebounds, 6 blocks, 6 steals, 4 assists

Hopefully he can stay on the court this year.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #76 on: November 03, 2013, 10:34:08 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
. . . and, Steph Curry; he's a great shooter, and I'm sure he's a really nice young man, but I just can't stand watching him play.  It drives me nuts watching him jack up deep, contested three after deep, contested three.  Sure, he hits his fair share, but it just makes me insane.  I'm not a fan of his game at all.
I'm the opposite, I think it's inspiring and a perfectly fine shot at 45%.

It reminds me of the good old days in the 2003ish era where guys like Chauncey Billups, Ray Allen, Tracy McGrady, and Baron Davis would just pull up from anywhere within 24 feet (even behind the backboard or leaning away) if you gave them even half an inch of daylight.  Them jacking up those shots is the only reason they could get to the rim so easily (like Curry).

I've got nothing against the three point shot.  I love it when an open three comes off ball movement and penetration (what I think of as good team basketball). 

Golden State's style of basketball just doesn't appeal to me.  On the other hand, I'm sure it's the best use of their talent.  Steph Curry is very gifted, and letting him handle the ball a lot, and pull up for threes off the dribble whenever he gets a sliver of day light is probably their best bet.

In some ways they remind me of Iverson's Sixers in that respect.  I still don't like it, and while they can probably continue to be an exciting team that wins their fair share of regular season games and maybe make a little noise in the playoffs, I don't see them ever being a legitimate title contender with Steph Curry being their "main man."
Transition is a form of team basketball.  It takes the movement of players towards the rim, and the threat of Curry's penetration with the ball to get the defenders off of him.  When David Lee comes streaking through the paint and Curry's man leaves him open to deny an easy layup by Lee, Curry definitely didn't make that play by himself.  You could argue Lee actually deserves more credit.

If you can get an open 3 without everyone touching the ball and risking TOs, I think that's pretty good basketball.  It leads to easier passes and better team involvement on other plays.

Also, those Sixers were a legitimate title contender, and they didn't have other star players like Lee and Iguodala.  Curry's lack of hesitation when the defender plays him for the drive is not any different than Durant who leads a contender (or Westbrook either for that matter).
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 10:42:02 AM by mgent »
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #77 on: November 03, 2013, 10:38:52 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
. . . and, Steph Curry; he's a great shooter, and I'm sure he's a really nice young man, but I just can't stand watching him play.  It drives me nuts watching him jack up deep, contested three after deep, contested three.  Sure, he hits his fair share, but it just makes me insane.  I'm not a fan of his game at all.

It reminds me of the good old days in the 2003ish era where guys like Chauncey Billups, Ray Allen, Tracy McGrady, and Baron Davis would just pull up from anywhere within 24 feet (even behind the backboard or leaning away) if you gave them even half an inch of daylight.  Them jacking up those shots is the only reason they could get to the rim so easily (like Curry).

I've got nothing against the three point shot.  I love it when an open three comes off ball movement and penetration (what I think of as good team basketball). 

Golden State's style of basketball just doesn't appeal to me.  On the other hand, I'm sure it's the best use of their talent.  Steph Curry is very gifted, and letting him handle the ball a lot, and pull up for threes off the dribble whenever he gets a sliver of day light is probably their best bet.

In some ways they remind me of Iverson's Sixers in that respect.  I still don't like it, and while they can probably continue to be an exciting team that wins their fair share of regular season games and maybe make a little noise in the playoffs, I don't see them ever being a legitimate title contender with Steph Curry being their "main man."
Transition is a form of team basketball.  It takes the movement of players towards the rim, and the threat of Curry's penetration with the ball to get the defenders off of him.  When David Lee comes streaking through the paint and Curry's man leaves him open to deny an easy layup by Lee, Curry definitely didn't make that play by himself.  You could argue Lee actually deserves more credit.

If you can get an open 3 without everyone touching the ball and risking TOs, I think that's pretty good basketball.  It leads to easier passes and better team involvement on other plays.

Also, those Sixers were a legitimate title contender, and they didn't have other star players like Lee and Iguodala.  Curry's lack of hesitation when the defender plays him for the drive is not any different than Durant and Westbrook who lead a contender.

I'm not a big fan of OKC's style of play either, but I do admit that they look like a more legitimate title contender than the Warriors. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #78 on: November 03, 2013, 10:42:24 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Edit:  And one of the guys I said, Chauncey Billups, DID lead a team to a title while doing that.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #79 on: November 03, 2013, 10:42:39 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Also, those Sixers were a legitimate title contender, and they didn't have other star players like Lee and Iguodala.  Curry's lack of hesitation when the defender plays him for the drive is not any different than Durant and Westbrook who lead a contender.

I'm not a big fan of OKC's style of play either, but I do admit that they look like a more legitimate title contender than the Warriors.

Apples to chainsaws, but prime Iverson should get the nod over Curry as a team's primary scorer, if only because of Curry's problems staying on the court.

That's the biggest problem I see with the Warriors--their team's success depends on two guys with big red flags, Curry and Bogut.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #80 on: November 04, 2013, 07:52:26 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
They should call this the season of the returning point guard.
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #81 on: November 04, 2013, 09:19:22 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
OKC is definitely better with Westbrook but I wish we could see Durant play with a pass first PG.  He could be averaging like 35 and I'm not even kidding.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #82 on: November 04, 2013, 10:51:19 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Sixers got spanked. 20 point loss to GSW.

MCW 4-17 FGAs with 6 turnovers. Hawes 1-6 for 5 points. Looks like Turner had a solid night.

« Reply #83 on: November 04, 2013, 11:09:02 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Whoa!!  The Clippers just dropped 42 on the Rockets in the first quarter!! 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #84 on: November 04, 2013, 11:10:54 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
Whoa!!  The Clippers just dropped 42 on the Rockets in the first quarter!!

:o  :o  :o

Paul had 9 assists in the 1st qtr.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 11:20:09 PM by Snakehead »

« Reply #85 on: November 04, 2013, 11:49:01 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
78 to 66 Clippers at half.  What a high scoring game.

Reddick with 19, Paul with 11 assists.

112 possessions between both teams in the half.  Talk about pace.

« Reply #86 on: November 05, 2013, 12:37:39 AM »

Offline Adelaide Celt

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 206
For those who have seen them, do Howard and Asik work well starting together?
NO AMOUNT OF PSYCHOLOGICAL MANIPULATION, HORMONAL OR SURGICAL MUTILATION WILL EVER CHANGE A PERSON'S GENDER

« Reply #87 on: November 05, 2013, 12:56:40 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
For those who have seen them, do Howard and Asik work well starting together?

Not too bad.  There are certainly better combinations but they rebound very well and it's a lot of defensive length.  If I was them I'd definitely be looking for a trade if there is a good one available because I'd want to space the floor for Parsons and Harden to slash.

Right now vs the Clips it's tough because the Clips space the floor quite well and Paul is just dicing them up off the dribble. 

Lin guarding Paul is comical.

« Reply #88 on: November 05, 2013, 01:05:02 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
The Clips only ending up at 137 tonight.

Remember that LOL CLIPPERS thread...

« Reply #89 on: November 05, 2013, 02:18:58 AM »

fitzhickey

Anthony Davis

Game 1 = 20 points, 12 rebounds, 3 blocks
Game 2 = 26 points, 17 rebounds, 3 blocks
Game 3 = 25 points, 8 rebounds, 6 blocks, 6 steals, 4 assists
KG 2.0  ;D