Boston Celtics (0-0) at Toronto Raptors (0-0)
Wednesday, October 30, 2013
Regular Season Game #1, Road Game #1
TV: CSNNE, WBZ, CJCL, TSN2, NBA-LP[ 752(DTV), 511 & 751(Xfinity)]
Radio: WZLX (100.7 FM)
Air Canada Centre
Toronto, OntarioPossible Starters
PG: Avery Bradley
SG: Courtney Lee
SF: Jeff Green
PF: Gerald Wallace
C: Brandon Bass
Rajon Rondo (ACL)out
Jared Sullinger (suspension) out
PG: Kyle Lowry
SG: DeMar DeRozan
SF: Rudy Gay
PF: Amir Johnson
C: Jonas Valanciunas
Julyan StoneGame Notes
The Celtics open their season on the road as they take on their divisional foe, the Toronto Raptors. These two teams have already faced each other twice in the preseason. The Celtics lost the first game of the preseason to the Reptors 97-89 and they lost their second meeting by just 2 points, 99-97.
The Raptors return their starting lineup from the end of last season as well as their coach. The Celtics, on the other hand have a majority of new players and a new coaching staff along with a new system to get used to. So, it's no surprise that the Raptors had the advantage in the preseason. Now, the games are for real and the Celtics know a little more what to expect from the Raptors.
As far as the starting lineups, Brad Stevens wasn't tipping his hand and as late as the last practice, he couldn't say who would be starting. The lineup listed above is in the Game Notes. I would rather start Bradley, Wallace, Green, Bass and Faverani. With Valanciunas starting at center for the Raptors, the Celtics need to counter with size and strength inside, and that is what Faverani brings.
Players to WatchCeltics
Gerald Wallace was the best player in the preseason for the Celtics. He held his teammates accountable and brought energy to the lineups. Look for him to continue to do both in the regular season.
Vitor Faverani earned more playing time with his performance in the preseason. His defense inside and his ability to get to the hoop will be key in this game.
Kelly is playing before his home crowd, having grown up in Toronto.
DeMar DeRozan is capable of putting up points in a hurry and the Celtics need to find a way to contain him.
Jonas Valanciunas is poised to have a break out season. If the Celtics go small, he could have a big night. Keys to the GameEffort
- The Celtics must win by being the team that plays harder. They can't afford to take a night off. Rebound
- The Celtics must crash the boards to prevent the Raptors from getting extra chances and to give themselves extra possessions.
- The Celtics can't depend on their jumpers alone. They have to take the ball to the hoop and win the war in the paint. Defense
- The Raptors are a good shooting team and so the Celtics must play team defense to keep them from having a high scoring game. Teamwork
- Even though the Celtics are mostly new to each other, they have to develop teamwork and play together, covering for each other on defense and making the extra pass on offense.