Poll

Have your expectations/predictions changed after the Celtics 2013 Pre-season?

No. Nothing's changed- still think we compete for playoff spot. 37-42 wins.
3 (8.3%)
Yes. I thought we'd fight for a playoff spot, but that won't happen now. 30-35 wins.
4 (11.1%)
No. Nothing's changed-I thought we'd be bad and this is confirmation 25-30 wins at most.
19 (52.8%)
Yes. We'll actually be better than I thought once the rotations are organized. 35+ wins
1 (2.8%)
Yes. We'll be far worse than I originally thought. 25 or less wins.
9 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Author Topic: Have your Celtics expectations/predictions changed after the 13' NBA Pre-season?  (Read 7016 times)

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
So it's only been 8 pre-season games and we went 2 wins 6 losses. Tiny sample size.
But watching may have given you an idea of what this team may slowly mold into.

Do you think we'll be okay? Do you think we'll stink? Has your win/loss prediction changed?
Is this opinion the same as you originally thought or has it changed?
Are you a hopeful or disappointed after seeing them out on the floor?

A friend and I spoke about this last night and the biggest thing for him was realizing how much we'll miss Doc+Pierce+KG and how that will effect Rondo, Green and Bradley.

These guys have no one to hide behind now. These are the guys that Rondo has to work with and that's a gut check. None of them know the plays on offense or defense like our old veterans did. We don't have Pierce, KG, Terry or Ray Allen to pass to on jump shots on penetration.
Yes our young guys are talented but we were so blessed by the fact that Pierce and KG (and Doc- whom KG and Pierce loved/respected dearly) made everyone else around them so much better.

I'm choosing to guess that Rondo will miss November based on what Ainge has said. Rondo may or may not be back by December but he'll miss at least 20 games of an 82 game season in this poll- which I think is perfectly realistic.

I'm sticking to somewhere around 25-30 wins if Rondo is back by December and only misses 20 games. If Rondo takes more like 30-35 games or Wallace is out then yikes.

How has seeing the team on the floor for the first 384 minutes together made you feel about the upcoming season?
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
For me I thought we'd be bad and this was slight confirmation.
Rondo will make things better. After Wallace's walking boot situation I just wonder how bad we'll be if we lose Green or Wallace for an extended period. It's bitter sweet because I'm in favor of getting a top 7 pick but just thinking about watching this team get hammered 2 out of every 3 games will be hard.
I'm excited to watch us grow and develop and what Danny Ainge may be scheming come All Star weekend.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
My expectation was that preseason won't change anything, like always, and that hasn't changed.  Green, Olynyk, Brooks, and Humphries didn't look like they were trying at all.  On the other hand some guys gave unbelievable effort and still managed to largely disappoint vs. reserves (Lee and Bradley, what else is new).
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2415
Yes -- (1) the lack of news about when Rondo is set to return is getting me more worried about how much time Rondo is actually going to miss (2) the team looked badly prepared in preseason and look set to get off to a awfully bad start while Rondo is out.

I was hoping they would have a "me against the world" type of mindset where Stevens used their depth and energy to catch a few slow starters off guard but they look content to just go through the motions and take losses. A lack of fighting spirit within the team. Lots of bad lineup decisions from Stevens too. They were really hurting the team in preseason. Stevens looks a real question mark so far.

It looks like the C's are going to end up in a pretty deep hole by the time Rondo returns.

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2972
It will be alot of fun watching guys like Pressey,  Fav,  Sully  learn and grow up .   That said.....the bad news...

Without Wallace and Rondo healthy  and playing .......this team could easy set the record for losses

No top end talent to lead the team , takeover and win the close games

The tank maybe A bit TOO dramatic,  the loss of first rate talent r worse than DA expected .   Sinking the Celtics to the basement  ......to hard of fall

Hope it's not too much of an embarrassment .

I see the Celtics as a frightened Deer in the headlights .
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 08:46:05 PM by SHAQATTACK »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25621
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
There's been no change in my expectations.  I thought that we'd be playing for lottery position, and I still think we're playing for the lottery.

The only thing that has surprised me was that I expected Stevens to get the guys to buy in a little more, and to date that isn't showing.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I'm still expecting this team to be in the hunt for one of the last playoff spots. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2972

The only thing that has surprised me was that I expected Stevens to get the guys to buy in a little more, and to date that isn't showing.

This is my biggest worry too Roy ! 

I 'm scared to death, so far he doesn't strike me as somebody who these NBA players are play their rear ends off for exactly.   Seems a bit soft to me ..... Then so does Spostra ........but you have to have somebody who is the authority figure........

Maybe that will be Danny ....

Please let me be wrong.

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
I guess for me I worry that we have no Paul Pierce type player. No legit star guy that can represent and make us proud of our Celtics on those losing nites. Rondo might be that guy, but so far he doesnt look like it to me.

In the past we always had that one guy who could win a close game for us. That one guy who we knew was a perrenial All Star. He gave us hope that with just a player or two added we became relevant. Now who is it? Does he even exist on this roster? I just dont see him.

I really hope Danny Ainge does well in this draft and/or with a FA/Trade in the next two seasons. We need a major rebuild here. Otherwise it will be "Off With His Head" time in Boston.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

I'm curious what else you were expecting?  This team doesn't have much talent.  I hope we aren't one of those franchises that scapegoats the coach for that.

The only thing for me is that I hope we run more plays.  Other than that, he is trying to get the most out of a young roster with some players with long term promise, but right now it isn't pretty.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Preseason went exactly as how I anticipate the regular season going: spurts of competitiveness followed by lulls due to youth/lack of intensity that more often than not lead to losses.

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I said 26 wins before preseason.

I say 26 wins now.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2670
  • bammokja
i said less than 30 wins before preseason.

i say less than 30 wins now.  :)

honestly, it was clear that the celtics dont have much offensive talent and have weak interior defense. their half-court play is terrible and other teams defend them well. they fall back on jump shots too much. the talent they have doesnt seem to mesh or complement one another very well.

i do believe the celtics have very good supporting players, role players, and depth. what they need is 2 stars who can carry this team.

maybe this draft will provide one star and maybe the other one comes through trade or free agency.

the players now have potential, but lack experience. they have good supporting talent, but not star quality talent.

less than 30 wins....and if rondo doesnt come back early then less than 25 wins.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

Offline VitorSullyandKOFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 19
I think the team will play hard but the talent gap will be too much and the losses will pile up.

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I wonder whether there's a bias in the responses here. Will people whose expectations were very different from what they're seeing respond?