Author Topic: Minny wants back-up SF  (Read 4846 times)

Re: Minny wants back-up SF
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2013, 04:52:37 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Minny's a small-market team looking for what would be a third-string SF once Budinger returns. No way they want to pay Wallace or Green's salary for that.

How do you know that Minny might not be looking to upgrade the SF spot.  I dare say that GWall would certainly start over Corey freaking Brewer and most definitely would start over Budinger.  (What a HUGE mistake Minny made by giving Budinger all that money and those years.  He stinks.)

Also, Derrick Williams does not seem to be working out as a SF apparently.

Smitty77

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2013, 07:16:11 PM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
I'm not sure what the hurry is to move Wallace. We're not contending, we have plenty of rebuild fodder in picks and small-ish contracts and we have an all-star PG on the mend.

As long as we're not paying repeater tax because of him I don't see an issue keeping him until he is an expiring or until we can get something valuable for him. I dislike the idea of dumping a contract while we're rebuilding and I dislike it even more if we have to give up assets to do it.

For the record I think the C's are going to use this season to rebuild. I don't see a playoff berth, I don't see a huge trade and I don't see Rondo back before Christmas. This season will be about letting the new guys play, getting Stevens comfortable coaching in the NBA and trying to accumulate assets.

But next season we're going to have some cap space, probably around 1 max deal depending on our moves this season. We have 2 first-round picks in the next 3 drafts so we'll hopefully have some talent on the cheap for the coming years. This makes it more likely make a run at a big name FA after extending Rondo ($15-18M/5yrs) in the 2014-15 season. This might be when names like Kevin Love and Lamarcus Aldridge get hot in trade rumors.

So I'm not for forcing a move of our bad contracts. I think this is the time to wait and collect assets not move our assets to shed salary.

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2013, 07:22:39 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
I'm not sure what the hurry is to move Wallace. We're not contending, we have plenty of rebuild fodder in picks and small-ish contracts and we have an all-star PG on the mend.

As long as we're not paying repeater tax because of him I don't see an issue keeping him until he is an expiring or until we can get something valuable for him. I dislike the idea of dumping a contract while we're rebuilding and I dislike it even more if we have to give up assets to do it.

For the record I think the C's are going to use this season to rebuild. I don't see a playoff berth, I don't see a huge trade and I don't see Rondo back before Christmas. This season will be about letting the new guys play, getting Stevens comfortable coaching in the NBA and trying to accumulate assets.

But next season we're going to have some cap space, probably around 1 max deal depending on our moves this season. We have 2 first-round picks in the next 3 drafts so we'll hopefully have some talent on the cheap for the coming years. This makes it more likely make a run at a big name FA after extending Rondo ($15-18M/5yrs) in the 2014-15 season. This might be when names like Kevin Love and Lamarcus Aldridge get hot in trade rumors.

So I'm not for forcing a move of our bad contracts. I think this is the time to wait and collect assets not move our assets to shed salary.

I just really like JJ Barea!!!  Call me crazy, but sparks like JJ do NOT grow on trees.  This saves us money and likely gives GWall a MUCH MORE realistic chance at the playoffs.  I think Minny is in IF they make this trade!!

Smitty77

P.S. I just talked myself OUT of giving them any picks in this deal:-))))

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2013, 08:04:25 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Minny's a small-market team looking for what would be a third-string SF once Budinger returns. No way they want to pay Wallace or Green's salary for that.

How do you know that Minny might not be looking to upgrade the SF spot.  I dare say that GWall would certainly start over Corey freaking Brewer and most definitely would start over Budinger.  (What a HUGE mistake Minny made by giving Budinger all that money and those years.  He stinks.)

Smitty77

I'm going by the article, which claims that that's what Adelman said:

"Wolves coach Rick Adelman said he and president of basketball operations Flip Saunders are looking at all options — trade, free-agent signing, in-house promotion — to find someone who can back up Corey Brewer at small forward until Budinger returns from another knee surgery."

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2013, 08:12:06 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5349
  • Thumper of the BASS!

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2013, 10:15:38 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

Smitty77

I'm going by the article, which claims that that's what Adelman said:

"Wolves coach Rick Adelman said he and president of basketball operations Flip Saunders are looking at all options — trade, free-agent signing, in-house promotion — to find someone who can back up Corey Brewer at small forward until Budinger returns from another knee surgery."

Sure, Rick is not going to diss his starter.  He is a class act.  That being said, IF he were able to get Gerald, Gerald would EASILY beat out Corey Brewer.  Did you expect Adelman to trash Brewer?

Smitty77