Author Topic: Minny wants back-up SF  (Read 4850 times)

Minny wants back-up SF
« on: October 19, 2013, 11:56:12 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Well, well, well.  Do I have a deal for them:-)))

http://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/6341505

How about Gerald Wallace and one of our LA first rounders for JJ Barea and Dante Cunningham?????

Might they bite??????????

Smitty77

Re: Minny wants back-up SF
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 12:00:25 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
Here is the link to the article about Minny wanting a back up PF:

http://www.startribune.com/sports/wolves/228421421.html

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 12:02:13 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
I think they'd bite, but why would the Celtics want to do that?  It doesn't help to relieve the shooting guard and power forward spots, which should be the priority.  Not to mention there'd be no natural SF behind Green, since Cunningham primarily plays power forward.  Sure, they'd get cap space, but the cap space likely isn't going to good use anytime soon, so does it really matter if Wallace is taking up $10 million during a rebuild?

I don't like the deal for Boston.  The only thing it helps with is the point, but I'd rather see them go with Pressey and Crawford/Bradley for the PG rotation until Rondo returns.  Also, I don't see the point in wasting a first-round pick to get rid of Wallace if it's not going to improve the team in any meaningful way.

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 12:02:50 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
I wouldn't trade a 1st rounder to get Dante Cunningham and Barrea. Why Cunningham? We already have enough PFs. Barea is ok but not worth a 1st rounder. We should not be that desperate to get rid of Wallace's contract.

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2013, 12:14:09 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
I wouldn't trade a 1st rounder to get Dante Cunningham and Barrea. Why Cunningham? We already have enough PFs. Barea is ok but not worth a 1st rounder. We should not be that desperate to get rid of Wallace's contract.

I included Cunningham to make the salaries work.

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2013, 12:18:43 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
I think they'd bite, but why would the Celtics want to do that?  It doesn't help to relieve the shooting guard and power forward spots, which should be the priority.  Not to mention there'd be no natural SF behind Green, since Cunningham primarily plays power forward.  Sure, they'd get cap space, but the cap space likely isn't going to good use anytime soon, so does it really matter if Wallace is taking up $10 million during a rebuild?

Going with what we have a PG until RR gets back is a bad idea IMHO.  None of those you mentioned are pure PG's or stellar ball handlers.  Granted, JJ is not a pure PG, but he is an excellent ball handler and he would be a GREAT spark off the bench when Rondo returns!!  This roster will not be balanced until next year at the earliest.  Also, Bogans can play backup SF if needed.  He is thick.  This allow us to get out from under GWall's last few years and get a perfect backup PG and get a look-see at Cunnningham, as he is an expiring.

Smitty77

I don't like the deal for Boston.  The only thing it helps with is the point, but I'd rather see them go with Pressey and Crawford/Bradley for the PG rotation until Rondo returns.  Also, I don't see the point in wasting a first-round pick to get rid of Wallace if it's not going to improve the team in any meaningful way.

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2013, 12:32:21 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
isn't the first rounder to get rid of Wallace though.  I mean I'm not saying I would do this as I really don't see the point, but clearly the first rounder is to remove Wallace from the team.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2013, 12:36:00 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
Pressey is both a pure PG (the only guy on the roster besides Rondo who can be classed as such) and a good ball-handler.  Crawford, while not a pure PG, is a capable ball-handler.  I'll agree that Bradley isn't good at the point guard spot, but I don't see him as god-awful in very limited minutes.  That said, Rondo's only going to be out for a few months at worst and the team's not expecting much success this year, so if they lose a few more games than they would with a more experienced point guard in the interim... oh well.  It's one thing if Rondo were out for the whole season, but he's expected to come back at some point.  This is a temporary fix to an issue that isn't all that pressing, imo.  Not to mention, the shooting guard spot needs to be cleared up at some point - best way to do that is by showcasing all of the guards by playing them as much as possible and it's harder to do that when you add options at the point guard spot.

Barea is a spark off the bench? I agree - but theoretically, so are Crawford, Brooks, and Wallace.  Barea's contract runs until 2015, so you're giving up a first-round pick just to get out of the last year of Wallace's contract to have Barea serve virtually the same role as Wallace.  Of course, Barea would be doing that for less money, but again, what exactly is the cap space going to be used on?  If we're realistic about the rebuild, it's going to last quite longer than a year, so does it ultimately matter if Wallace is on the books for now?

The look at Cunningham isn't going to be very useful.  He's a combo forward, but he's more geared towards PF play - the same position where the Celtics are looking to develop Olynyk and Sullinger.

And Bogans is a shooting guard. He can play small forward, but he's a third-stringer guy at that position; hell, he's a third-stringer even at his natural position.  Not exactly the player you want playing significant minutes at the 3.

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2013, 01:25:41 PM »

Offline beantownboy171

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
Gerald Wallace has legitimate trade value to a contender. We just need to let him play at a high level for a little while and be patient.

What does a salary dump get us right now?

Hold out for a first rounder, at least. Eventually you're going to come across a team that won't have cap space in the near future regardless and trading for someone like Wallace will be in their best interest.

Teams need someone to guard Lebron if they want to win a championship.

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2013, 01:26:01 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
isn't the first rounder to get rid of Wallace though.  I mean I'm not saying I would do this as I really don't see the point, but clearly the first rounder is to remove Wallace from the team.

I wouldn't do it.  I don't think cap space is going to be that vitally important to us for at least a couple seasons, so no need to rush to get rid of Wallace's contract.   I'd rather hold on to our draft picks unless if we are getting a star player in return. 

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2013, 01:34:07 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
Gerald Wallace has legitimate trade value to a contender. We just need to let him play at a high level for a little while and be patient.

What does a salary dump get us right now?

Pretty much exactly my entire point.  The salary dump sounds nice in theory, but the team likely can't do much of anything useful with that cap space at the moment, so why go through with this?

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2013, 02:02:38 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
Pressey is both a pure PG (the only guy on the roster besides Rondo who can be classed as such) and a good ball-handler.  Crawford, while not a pure PG, is a capable ball-handler.  I'll agree that Bradley isn't good at the point guard spot, but I don't see him as god-awful in very limited minutes.  That said, Rondo's only going to be out for a few months at worst and the team's not expecting much success this year, so if they lose a few more games than they would with a more experienced point guard in the interim... oh well.  It's one thing if Rondo were out for the whole season, but he's expected to come back at some point.  This is a temporary fix to an issue that isn't all that pressing, imo.  Not to mention, the shooting guard spot needs to be cleared up at some point - best way to do that is by showcasing all of the guards by playing them as much as possible and it's harder to do that when you add options at the point guard spot.

Barea is a spark off the bench? I agree - but theoretically, so are Crawford, Brooks, and Wallace.  Barea's contract runs until 2015, so you're giving up a first-round pick just to get out of the last year of Wallace's contract to have Barea serve virtually the same role as Wallace.  Of course, Barea would be doing that for less money, but again, what exactly is the cap space going to be used on?  If we're realistic about the rebuild, it's going to last quite longer than a year, so does it ultimately matter if Wallace is on the books for now?

The look at Cunningham isn't going to be very useful.  He's a combo forward, but he's more geared towards PF play - the same position where the Celtics are looking to develop Olynyk and Sullinger.

And Bogans is a shooting guard. He can play small forward, but he's a third-stringer guy at that position; hell, he's a third-stringer even at his natural position.  Not exactly the player you want playing significant minutes at the 3.

OK. How about deleting the first rounder and making it a second rounder.  BTW, Barea only has two years left, 4.69 and 4.52 for a total of 9.21 million.  GWall has three years left at 10.11 million for a total of 30.33 million.  Therefore, we save 21.12 million.

Smitty77

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2013, 02:18:05 PM »

Offline NocturnalRebel

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41
Hmm. I expected a ton of Green trade ideas here. Maybe I'm too early.
Loyalty Is Royalty

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2013, 02:21:33 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
Back up small forwards are a dime a dozen....don't think we'll make any deals with the Wolves.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2013, 02:27:51 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Minny's a small-market team looking for what would be a third-string SF once Budinger returns. No way they want to pay Wallace or Green's salary for that.