Author Topic: Help - PC Issues  (Read 10250 times)

Help - PC Issues
« on: October 17, 2013, 01:50:31 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

Having a serious problem which is affecting the things I do here on the blog, and would appreciate any help or suggestions.

I recently had a major trojan/malware attack and the only way to save my computer was to revert to the factory settings and then reload my software, (losing all my personal files and downloads).

Usually, to copy photos or graphics, I right click on the image and select 'Properties' from the pull-down menu.

It then gives me a display properties dialog box with tabs and options, and I then copy and paste the URL from there.

But now, when I right click on 'Properties' from the pull-down menu, all I get is a small white box with the URL in it, but it doesn't allow me to copy it or even highlight it, (or do ANYthing to it).

I have tried reinstalling Java, Adobe Reader, Internet Explorer, using registry repair tools, Sytem Mechanic, analyzing my graphics driver, resetting to defaults in my browser (IE), enabled javascript and cookies in my browser, and some other stuff, but I'm lost at this point.

I assume this is some kind of registry error, but really don't know.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated, and I will get a couple/few TPs for such.

Thank you in advance ... I am technically challenged in this area.

* Feel free to use this thread for similar in the future *
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

Re: Help - PC Issues
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 02:13:52 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I take it getting a new computer is not an option.

if all your stuff is wiped out, it might be the better/easier way to go.

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 02:25:49 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
if you are indeed infected with a virus/malware

there are a few easy steps to fix this assuming if you are running Windows

Make sure you download an AV or Malware tool

AV tools - anything free is fine or if you already have one, perfect - if you don't AVG should be nice and easy

Malware tools - download Malwarebytes

also download Ccleaner to clear your computer of cache memories and other junk

When you have already done that

Reboot the computer and boot into safe mode

Start > (Run) type in msconfig > go to startup and then services and check anything that is weird off, you can find those names on google to see if they are potentially harmful

Open AV/Malware tools and run them through - full scan

when done > delete anything that the scan shows up

Open Ccleaner > clear all cache memory, junk

reboot computer

this should fix your problem 

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 02:55:39 PM »

Offline Eric M VAN

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 61
  • No no no, not THAT "Eric M Van".
I like the answer above, but it might be simpler..

What version Windoze operating system do you have?

A google turned up this

http://windows.ittoolbox.com/groups/technical-functional/windows-xp-pro-l/blank-menus-from-right-click-anywhere-1678794

&

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555362
"Because there are no fours."
-- Antoine Walker when asked why he shoots so many threes

"We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees."
-Jason Kidd

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 03:05:52 PM »

Offline Enzzo

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 16
If you're using windows 8, there was a free update I believe within the past couple days to fix bugs.

Also, you might want to just reformat your hard drive. If you have a windows CD.

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 03:10:48 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

A google turned up this

http://windows.ittoolbox.com/groups/technical-functional/windows-xp-pro-l/blank-menus-from-right-click-anywhere-1678794

&

I don't think he's getting blank context menus, but rather a limited Properties menu. To me, this sounds like some sort of a permissions issue, though I can't quite put my finger on it.

Also, note that the OP has already fixed his malware issue.

edit: Perhaps try your Internet Options to see whether there's a setting that's limiting the content of your Internet context menus? Not really sure here.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 03:24:10 PM by kozlodoev »
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 04:13:39 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

A google turned up this

&

I don't think he's getting blank context menus, but rather a limited Properties menu. To me, this sounds like some sort of a permissions issue, though I can't quite put my finger on it.

Also, note that the OP has already fixed his malware issue.

edit: Perhaps try your Internet Options to see whether there's a setting that's limiting the content of your Internet context menus? Not really sure here.
I'm running Windows 7 Premium, 64-bit.

Yeah, this is where I'm at ... I reverted to factory settings, then installed AV software, registry repair, cleaners, etc., and have cleaned and repaired everything, (at least to the satisfaction of the programs). I also installed an intel chipset analyzer (for the heckuvit) and that was fine. Thought it might be java so I made sure that was up-to-date, went into Internet Options and made sure applets , etc. were enabled.

Gonna check out Eric's link.

TP's for your suggestions, folks ... much appreciated. Seems like it should be much simpler than it is, but it's a bit bizarre. Can't even highlight the URL that comes up instead.

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, 04:48:47 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
I actually don't get the Properties menu at all ... when I click on 'Properties' from the drop-down box, all that comes up is a white rectangular box (that is labeled 'Properties') with the URL in it, I can't highlight the URL and nothing happens when I click on it.

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2013, 04:57:29 PM »

Offline Eric M VAN

• Derrick White
I actually don't get the Properties menu at all ... when I click on 'Properties' from the drop-down box, all that comes up is a white rectangular box (that is labeled 'Properties') with the URL in it, I can't highlight the URL and nothing happens when I click on it.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-desktop/cannot-access-properties-dialog-box-after-right/33efdc05-1290-4c9c-8148-0a739c89aa6f

-Jason Kidd

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2013, 04:58:39 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

the point of properties is for the user to make changes if need be or see the details of the file/directories.

You should be able to still highlight the URL. If you cannot make changes - it is probably because of permission issues. If you can set up a join.me session with some techies here, I am sure some people here would love to help you out.

If there are still problems, google is your best friend :D

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2013, 04:59:51 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Right, but you do get the context menu, right? (context menu = list of options that appear when you right-click something, with "Properties" being one of the options).

The solution offered was for cases when the context menu doesn't appear at all, or is missing items, or appears blank.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2013, 05:03:05 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

the point of properties is for the user to make changes if need be or see the details of the file/directories.

You should be able to still highlight the URL. If you cannot make changes - it is probably because of permission issues. If you can set up a join.me session with some techies here, I am sure some people here would love to help you out.

If there are still problems, google is your best friend :D
No, can't highlight the URL, or do ANYthing to it ... the mouse will do nothing when over the box with the URL in it.

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2013, 05:05:08 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Right, but you do get the context menu, right? (context menu = list of options that appear when you right-click something, with "Properties" being one of the options).

The solution offered was for cases when the context menu doesn't appear at all, or is missing items, or appears blank.
Yes, I get the context menu, then select 'Properties', but the Display Properties Dialog Box does not show up, only a rectangle marked 'Properties' which can only be closed, nothing else.

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2013, 05:38:17 PM »

Offline Eric M VAN

• Derrick White

Yes, I get the context menu, then select 'Properties', but the Display Properties Dialog Box does not show up, only a rectangle marked 'Properties' which can only be closed, nothing else.

Hi, didn't the last link I posted describe exactly what you just said? You can right click an icon or file on the desktop -> then click on "properties" --> The Properties box appears with out any dialogue in when you expect to see:

The above is BLANK in your situation

-Jason Kidd

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2013, 05:40:56 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

I don't believe I have ever seen this happen in IE (I _have_ seen it when trying to access LAN resources, but that's a different story, I presume).

Does this happen indiscriminately? Sometimes online resources can be configured so that they cannot be downloaded/saved. I'm assuming you've tried this for a variety of images, and it hasn't worked.

I do assume it's something in your Windows settings. Poking around a bit, I found an article about Group Policy settings that may be relevant:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg176671(v=ws.10).aspx

What you're experiencing looks like disabled IE context menu to me. Unfortunately, I am not quite sure how to tune Group Policies, and initial googling returns too many results, so I can't throw an easy link your way. Maybe you can start there?